Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolved Irish Mysteries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

There was an arrest with Pender. Also one party refused to have anything to do with the investigation appeals etc.

Edit: Just reading Bailey's book. Says five arrests. Three women two men all related. Reading between the line suggests boyfriend, his father and three sisters.

Someone going home from pub saw two men putting what looked like something wrapped in a roll of carpet into a four wheel drive outside their flat early Friday morning. A four wheel drive was also seen speeding in the Sliabh Bloom mountains also Friday morning

Post edited by Honorable on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DameEdnaEveridge

In the chapter on Annie...I read it recently...it gave a lot of details not mentioned in media..the whole IRA Johnny Foxes speculation is rubbish but as far as witnesses interviewed he is a reliable source...local chipper owner also named as having been one of last sightings, claimed he saw her flag down a bus to Ranelagh... all very strange...

This is Bailey chapter on Annie? I will reread it

I wrote above re Fiona Pender that one party would not involve in search. I was sure Bailey had written that, and it referred to her BF family but I don't see it in Bailey's book. The Gardai did say her BF was a suspect according to an press report. He in turn complained in press about the Gardai.

Fiona Pender's flat was forensically examined and nothing found. Could that explain the claimed removal of a carpet like item.? Did the carpet have blood...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭tibruit

The Fiona Pender case may well be an outlier alright. There are a lot of contradictions there. The boyfriend is a very strange character but there must have been issues with the sighting of the two men and the 4WD. Otherwise it is hard to understand why he wasn`t charged. I haven`t read Bailey but Barry Cummins in his book says that there is no evidence that Fiona was placed in anything and removed from the apartment. That`s a strange thing to say if the sighting of the men putting the rolled up carpet in the 4WD is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 DameEdnaEveridge

Chief suspect in Pender case was on trial in Canada 2015 ..his wife accused him of assaulting her as she slept...she was found to be lying and case collapsed..in aftermath, she contacted Gardaí to say she knew where Fiona Pender was buried...she was flown back to Ireland by Gardai..but nothing was found as a result of that dig..she is not reliable..despite being trained primary teacher, taught in Laois for a while..not sure if she knew anything about Pender but gave false hope to her family with her false claims...she was a fantasist as a teenager and looks like she still is..I saw her on front of Sunday papers a few years ago..but of course was not named in trial on Canada or by Gardai..but as I knew her I figured out who this woman was..

A prepper and a fantasist. Quite the couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,942 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It's the first I've heard of JT's wife being a fantasist tbh. Imo , her returning from Canada to try help with finding Fionas remains , was a genuine thing . The chances of finding anyones remains in the vast area that is the Sliabh Bloom Mountains is nearly impossible I imagine.

I don`t think there is enough information out there yet to accuse the Gardaí of gross incompetence in the McCarrick disappearance. As for Sophie, I think they did ok in the circumstances up the time of the first arrests, but they were let down by an under zealous DPP who was clearly agitated by the pressure being put upon him to bring charges by the boys in blue down in Cork and struggled to believe the testimony of multiple witnesses who bar one have all stood by their stories to this day. Many have since gone before judges and repeated their statements under oath and directly contradicted sworn testimony given by Ian Bailey. Their testimony proved convincing and none of the cases ended favorably for Bailey.

There were a few different threads about the Sophie case on here. There was one poster who operated multiple user names to make all sorts of ridiculous accusations about multiple individuals to deflect from Bailey. They later admitted that they were basically running a social media campaign in support of him here and on Twitter but then had a falling out with him. Then it appears that he may have turned up himself for a while. It`s hard to keep a narcissist away from where people are talking about him. Now all that remains is a thread that reads like a bad episode of Murder She Wrote where the basic plot is usually that someone gets murdered and for half an hour or so we see some convincing evidence about a particular suspect. But then Jessica Fletcher comes along and uncovers the truth to show the original suspect is really a misunderstood sweetie and the killer is actually the guy who you initially thought butter wouldn`t melt in his mouth etc..

The Jessica Fletcher types on the remaining active thread spend their time discussing garda corruption, imaginary boundary disputes, supposed murderous local drug barons, suicidal German musicians, some fella in Cahirsiveen who had a scratch on his face and mysterious French assassins. They therefore ignore the reality that there is an abundance of evidence that implicates the main suspect and so they must believe that the various witnesses are all part of a wider garda organized conspiracy to pin it on him. For some reason I keep thinking about that scene where Ted explains to Dougal that the toy cows on the table are small but the ones out in the field are far away.

Post edited by tibruit on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

except there is no evidence whatsoever to place Bailey at the scene of the crime, not a shred.

• Advertisement

You mean apart from the fact that he told a number of people that he went over there and murdered her. Or how about Jules`s statement that she signed in the presence of her legal representative where she admitted that when they came home from the pub, Bailey asked her to go over to Alf Lyons house with him, a journey that would have taken them past the scene of the crime. She further admitted that he soon afterwards got out of bed and she didn`t see him again for several hours. He also admitted that he got up and left the house.

i doubt any jury would convict on that, and the DPP thought the same. its all about hard evidence in a courtroom.

Well we know that Bailey had the propensity to assault Jules Thomas at least three times. We know that he expressed a desire to kill somebody in his diary. Jules Thomas stated that on the night of the murder he expressed a desire to go up that laneway and past the victims house. We know he got out of his bed and left his house and also that his movements for several hours cannot be accounted for by anyone else. We know that in the morning he had a scratch on his forehead that was not apparent to anybody the night before. But on that very same night a different headcase went up there and murdered Sophie? How unfortunate can one be?

There was a cross placed in the mountains with reference to Fiona and her date of death. I forget the exact words. Was that the part of the mountain JT's wife took Gardai to

Fantasist or not she claimed to know a specific spot.

I'm not sure, I thought the area where the cross was placed was before she returned from Canada. I'm sure that was investigated into at the time. Or you'd imagine it was anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I posted a bit of common sense in one of those threads once and was attacked for it, never went back. The thread was just full of fantasists. Now, from your post, I realise it was probably just one person.

There will never be new evidence or anyone caught for that murder.

If Bailey hadn’t lived nearby and kept the focus on himself for the last 30 years, this would be like the 100’s of other unsolved murders and disappearances here.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Caquas

No, the question is “what have they got to gain?”

No one turns up at a Garda Station to tell lies about a major investigation that doesn’t otherwise involve them and that could land them into serious legal trouble.

On the other hand, I am suspicious of the anonymous social media claim that her handbag was handed into Donnybrook. That claim only emerged in recent months and is either a red herring or another massive cock-up. I hope the Gardai get to the bottom of that claim.

That doesn't mean she was the one who put the cross there 🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Roll back on the ‘No one’ there. Plenty of fantasists and attention seekers try to involve themselves in investigations, particularly high profile cases, giving false and imagined ‘leads’ just to be part of it. It’s a story as old as time.

People who have lost people in similar circumstances get sometimes get involved in cases too.

As for the person in this case, malicious? protecting someone?fantasist? genuinely thought they saw her? Time will tell.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement

True. I didn't mean to suggest she was. I doubt she was it was six years later she was allegedly assaulted. Interesting was the date on the cross, a day before Fiona is usually thought to have vanished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A small but puzzling note in these questions:

the "missing women" from about the same period (the '90's, mainly) who are NOT high-profile public mysteries.

It appears that some "vanishings" catch the public imagination, or the attention of the police, far more than others do; for no discernible reason.

I'm thinking specifically of Imelda Keenan, disappeared from Waterfprd city in 1994, and Eva Brennan, went missing from Rathgar Dublin in 1993.

Neither has ever been seen again, nor has any trace of their fate been found.

I saw a claim Imelda keenan may have been suicide, that she suffered periods of depression.

The reason some vanishings get media attention is their relations have money or press contacts or just shout loud enough . Annie's mother was able to to hire a PI and a profiler

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Balagan1

Catching up on last Sunday's newspapers and John Mooney in The Sunday Times made an unholy mess of an article on Annie McCarrick, writing that "the last confirmed sighting of McCarrick was at the AIB in Sandymount at 11am on March 4, weeks before she was reported missing by her parents, Nancy and John." Correct facts are that she was caught on CCTV in the AIB on Friday 26th March 1993 and was reported missing within a few days. Careless, shoddy article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Suckler

An article that will generate interest & clicks - That's the nature of online "journalism" these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Balagan1

The article was in the printed Sunday Times and the online subscriber ST is not open for clicks or comments AFAIK, so it was just a very shoddy and incorrect piece of work, not worthy of the seriousness of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

What a spot on comment and summation of those posts 🎯

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anonymo203

I know there were recent arrests with a file going to the DPP but I would like to see the Kerry Babies case solved for once and for all. Such a horrendous chapter in Irish history. That poor baby 😓

nobody well ever be charged with that murder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think Jules Thomas said that Bailey had a premonition that something terrible was going to happen that night but did not refer to Sophie or imply that he intended visiting her later. Why would he make such an admission and implicate himself, after all?

Advertisement