Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing St Andrews

Options
  • 10-05-2023 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭

For those lucky enough to have played St Andrews would you recommend bringing a carry bag or cart bag? Just wondering how you get around with a big heavy cart bag really

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Definitely carry bag. It's the easiest 18 hole walk you will ever encounter. Also at certain times of the year trolleys are forbidden before 12pm. And it's also much quicker to carry because the some greens are obviously huge, so with the carry bag you can go across the greens rather than around them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I brought a carry bag. Easier for travelling with and we were't allowed a trolley in late March. If you are worried, another good option is a caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Played it last weekend.....it is easiest walk ever

But also played the Castle course and that is ridiculously up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

get a caddy. well worth it. unless you get @benny79s lad 🤣

PM me if you want and I'll dig out the fellas name I used twice over there and you can specifically request him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

How did you get to play? Was it through the lottery or did you queue up for a time?

• Advertisement

,Through the lottery....one of my regular playing partners put himself in and I took one of spots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

How was it? I’d love to get the chance to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

I’m playing the castle & the old in July. Was wondering more for transportation on the plane than anything. Might be a reason to go for a new carry bag

It is a once in a lifetime kind of thing. But it is sooo expensive really

St Andrews as a town is very 5 star if that makes sense so can be quite expensive

The old course is very easy with massive greens once you stay out of the bunkers. Couple 6/7 handicappers in our group shot an easy 77 and 78 that I suspect would have been much lower if they played it again

The Castle course is well out of town and completely different challenge and very very up and down. Greens were very very sandy when we were there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

I can vouch that most things I’ve got booked are very expensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement