Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflooring an old Ifor Williams cattle trailer.

• 13-05-2023 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I'm reflooring an old Ifor Williams cattle trailer at the moment. 10foot by 5foot 10 inches internally. I stripped out the old steel chequered floor as it was well rusted. The timber planks underneath, to my surprise, all seem fine.

I'm between minds as to what to do with it now. If I put in chequered aluminium plates, I have no way of welding the seams between the plates. If i use chequered steel plate, It's much easier weld.

There's a local steel supplier that has both and may be able to slice the sheets for me. Will talk to them on Monday.

Any advice? What thickness would people advise?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'd go for aluminium, it will never rust anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Same chequered plate a must for animals slipping. Those older ifors were well built, I'm not surprised timber was still good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Fit your sheets and bring it to someone who can weld aluminium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Minimum 3 mm thickness for steel. Weight can be an issue with steel. To floor that you will be using 150 kgs of steel chequer. Just on a note on the steel chequer you can buy 2MX1M from IITC in Cork. It's about 90+ vat and about 50+ vat euro to get delivered. Very neat job. 5"" folded up each side. It will make a very neat job. Only think is you will need a 4-6'' strip of chequer to get away with 3 sheets of the 1M wide chequer plate.

What type of side has the IW box got..

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The sides are aluminium sheeting. Unusual that the floor was steel chequered. I've never seen another one. Trailer owes me nothing. I think I paid 700 euro for it about 20 years ago.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
Advertisement