Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Finglas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wow. It really needs to be a high density area. This will be a major public transport interchange eith Luas/DART and Bus and will be centred on a fully segregated cycle and walking route to the city centre. In my view it should be a zero car development like what's proposed for the back of Heuston Station. Hugh density is also key here. Its surrounded by schools and along a proposed HV ESB line. If a perfect site for high density existed in Ireland this would be it. Then again so was the docks and we got squat.

It's also bordered to the North by parkland so there's no overshadowing concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

DCC are profoundly allergic to high density areas. Unless there’s a concerted effort from residents to respond, we’ll get bungalows along the edges, rising to a Frank McDonald-approved five story with setback skyscraper in the middle. Roads will be 2x2 with a painted cycle lane which is parked on all the time because of the lack of physical separation. Commercial units will be required at ground floor which will inexplicably lie empty for years. And there’ll be a park in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Agreed northern and north-eastern edge need to go as high as possible. Potential to create an interesting skyline.

One commercial centre around the LUAS/DART interchange. Could even be a shopping destination accessed by public transport rather than car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone have the direct link to that? Twiter blocked on my laptop.

Found this link online but seems to just send me round in circles. Are there any drawings etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's here. Docs are on the right hand side, kinda hidden, took me a while to get out of that loop too. No drawings or anything, other than just a general map of what's there at the moment. This is essentially a "pre consultation" consultation, basically asking what can we do with the area, so we won't get anything like drawings or details.

No submissions so far it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I find these plans incredible.

Jamestown Business Park, Finglas Luas, Royal Canal Greenway and Dublin Industrial Estate.

Completely transformative for one of the most deprived areas in the country.

Dublin Industrial Estate is approximately 70 hectares. The Irish Glass Bottle Site and Fabrizia land are 15 hectares which as plans for 3,800 units and 10,000 residents..

So DIS could easily house 40,000 people.

Could have a town center retail area near the Luas stop and another on the East side by the Lidl and a pedestrian retail street joining them together with a park in the middle. This will give a nice village feel to it.

It'll also require schools, creches, gyms sports etc.

It's surrounded by canal, a cemetery and a park so can go high and dense.

I agree it should be as car free as possible, maybe like that new neighborhood in Utrecht.

It has Dart, Luas, Greenway and lots of buses on Finglas Rd. The N2 orbital route and F spine are right by it.

It's walkable to city center also.

Its just 15 to 20 minute walk to new Metro stations also.

It would be perfect for 15 minute city concept although I think that's just a buzzword.

Jamestown Business Park is 43 hectares so nearly 3 times the size of Glass Bottle Site.

The extension of Finglas Luas to Northwood Metro would be completely justifiable with that type of population.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

^^^Copy and paste that into the submission^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Does the plan indicate where all of the businesses that are currently in Dublin Industrial Estate are supposed to move to?

People here are understandably focussing on the redevelopment potential of the location, but it is a place of work for a lot of people too!

Good point.

I guess phase them out to somewhere outside the M50.

It's probably just a few hundred people.

Jamestown Business Park also.

I guess the new development can include offices and workplaces also but Dublin Industrial Estate is too low density for it's current location.

It was probably the edge of the city when it was built and a very low income area.

I think Sandyford Business Park should be rezoned also. the older parts I mean obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

At a guess, I would imagine that it’s a fair bit more than “a couple of hundred”.

Either way, sending them out to beyond the M50 isn’t a particularly great solution as public transport becomes less able to provide reasonable commuting alternatives to driving.

I bet it's around 500 to 800 employees.

It's a very quiet area really if you drive through it or look at it on Google maps.

Does anyone know what percentage of houses in South and West Finglas are social housing or privately owned?

Once the Luas and rezoning and masterplan of the industrial estate comes through, it should in theory gentrify quite quickly.

But if lots of the housing is social, it won't happen so quickly.

For example Cabra East, Ringsend and Crumlin can gentrify quickly.

But Ballymun may not as I think it's 50% social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Not a problem if we close these businesses and those people have no job left. Plenty of job opportunities for them to get a job elsewhere.

I don't see the big deal.

These industrial estates are very low density and should be outside the M50. It's against the traffic flow anyway.

The same will happen in the SW of the city around Bluebell area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I think Cabra East is most of the way there as it is.

Source: I am a Cabra East gentrifier as of 2020

I think a strong factor in gentrification is the % of housing which are private as these rise in value and are sold.

Other factors are proximity to city center and areas of employment, proximity to more middle class areas, proximity to quality public transport.

Also proximity to other amenities like parks, schools, universities, sports facilities, restaurants, bars.

I think Finglas South which is currently one of the most deprived parts of Ireland, actually fulfills a lot of these criteria.

But I'm not sure how much housing is social housing. If it's a high % it'll hinder gentrification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Nothing article really. The RO is to be submitted by the end of the year/early next year, once it is with ABP it is in purgatory for an undefined period of time before it can (hopefully) move on.

Finglas Councillors worrying about their 2,000 homes project on Jamestown Road is laughable, I'd have more faith in the Luas being delivered before any significant number of houses are built there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

It would be good to intergrate some of the exisiting light industrial into new proposals. Low key light industry can easily mix into commerical and residential developments and this will at least retain these jobs in the local rather than being pushed way out beyond the M50.

And that LUAS news is such classic Ireland. A simple 4KM line in a country apparently bursting at the seams with cash would be easily built and done anywhere else.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"It would be good to intergrate some of the exisiting light industrial into new proposals. Low key light industry can easily mix into commerical and residential developments and this will at least retain these jobs in the local rather than being pushed way out beyond the M50."

It really makes zero sense to have any light industry anywhere inside the M50, just like it no longer makes sense to have farms inside the M50.

The reality is this development will likely end up employing a lot more people then the current setup. Think about it, there will be new schools, gymns, creches, shops, bars, restaurants, etc. all employing people. Then there will likely be lots of office space and maybe even a hotel or two employing more people.

Then take into account all the people working from home.

By comparison light industry is a very inefficient use of space. Office space would employ far more people in the same space.

The reality is we are now are a service based economy. Having a bunch of industry, right in our capital city is simply not an efficient use of space.

A lot of new apartment developments keep the bottom floor for retail/office but there's no demand so stays empty for years.

Look at Fatima for example.

So light industrial would be better in that instance.

I'd imagine any development here will include offices definitely and lots of other services.

Anyway, I think it's an exciting development.

I'd like if they got some international firms like Danish or Dutch to submit masterplans for it

Some of it would be nice to keep.

Such as the Porter House Brewery would be pretty cool to incorporate in to the development with tours and a cafe and whatnot

There is little manufacturing happening in the DIE as you might expect in an industrial estate, most of the businesses operating there are servicing the city itself. Dublin, like any city, needs areas like this for it to operate. Moving everything outside the M50 sounds good but isn't realistic either, certainly not in the name of sustainability. Cities can't keep extending into the countryside, sprawl is sprawl even if not residential. Cities are going to have to adapt to function within certain limitations.

Any redevelopment of the DIE is for the long term and a lot can happen in the meantime. There are several large redevelopment plans much further advanced than this, some have been in the pipeline for decades and not yet delivered. While there is huge demand now, the population and number of office jobs aren't going to keep increasing indefinitely.

I'd say at most we might see a few units at the Ratoath Road end redeveloped by the end of this decade. Redevelopment might have stretched eastwards as far as Barrow Road by the end of the next decade. A lot will happen in that time and things will have evolved from where they are now.

I think it'll happen quite quickly if it's well planned.

It's the last big piece of development land close to the city left to be developed.

The South Docks are filled in. North Docks almost so.

Irish Glass Bottle site is just starting. So is Devenay Gardens.

Teresa Gardens/Player Wills will start soon.

Newmarket is almost finished.

Connolly Quarter starting soon also.

East Rd/Castleforbes starting soon also.

So that just leaves DIE and the industrial estates in the SW like Kylemore, Bluebell , Naas Rd left to develop.

Clonliffe Rd also is big project which I assume will start soon.

Thats assuming our economy and population continues to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭jlang

Another Luas inspired example outside the city council area would be the update of the Sandyford area with new apartments, retail and offices. Not immediate, complete or uniform but a lot of people now live where there used to be factories and warehousing. Ballyboggan area is much closer to the city centre and has better public transport links. Similar distance to both DCU and Grangegorman campuses as Sandyford is to Belfield. I'd expect an eventual continuation of the development mix already at Ashtown/Pelletstown with another "village" area, probably focussed near a cleaned up Broombridge. Although if I imagine that too much the Luas depot itself also starts to look like something that may relocate - and I see they've included it in the planning area.

Nothing will happen quickly with DIE. They are only preparing a LAP now so it would be lucky if its introduced next year. Then you are waiting for leases to run out and sales of lands which will take years. Then design and planning approval which will take further years. There will be lots of infrastructure and enabling works to happen before construction of units can start. Any economic hiccups along the way will delay things further. Quick it certainly won't be.

Most of what you have stated as "starting soon" has had that tag for the best part of a decade.

East Rd/Castleforbes development has started .

The 8th Lock apartments have gone up very quickly. Likewise Hamilton Gardens.

It shows the demand in the area.

I agree it's not as simple as empty land.

But once it's rezoned, the land value will sky rocket so will be sold.

I think it's the transport infrastructure of the area and proximity to the city center which makes it so attractive.

Assuming the Metrolink starts, it'll just be 10/15 minute walk away or short Luas trip.

Also it's a blank canvas so all modern urban planning principles can be applied with few constraints.

It might take 5 years to get started, but by then the aforementioned projects will be finished so the demand for development land will be very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“A lot of new apartment developments keep the bottom floor for retail/office but there's no demand so stays empty for years.

Look at Fatima for example.

So light industrial would be better in that instance”

The reason those stay empty is the same reason why light industrial won’t work there. The developers who own the buildings try and charge too much rent for the business who might want to rent them. The same will be true for those light industries, in fact probably even worse, such light industries really only work when the land is very cheap, even more so then retail.

The companies there who own their own building will happily sell up to a developer for big bucks and setup at a cheaper location. For the others, the owners of the building will happily sell up.

Also realistically no one is going to want to buy an apartment over a warehouse with big trucks going in and out of it! Residential and industrial just aren’t compatible.

I agree with the idea of making this a car free area, it is a brilliant location, so close to the city, so well connected, a great opportunity to create a true modern European style car free location. That simply isn’t compatible with a bunch of trucks driving around.

Advertisement