Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster URC Semi -Final match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah stop will ya. It's not a medal for every child territory. They hate us and we hate them. We should have thumped them but our Head Coach bottled it and so we didn't.

That isn't a formula for me suddenly wanting them to win the final 'for the good of Irish rugby'. I mean how many Munster players make the Irish team? Two on a good day? None on a regular day.

Up the Stormers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The scheduling did hamstring Leinster. The coach chose to hamstring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I thought McGrath should have seen yellow twice in the 1st half. 1st for the tackle while on the ground that was cynical and prevented a likely try, 2nd for the deliberate knock on, which was a penalty, but should have been a yellow given the previous cynical foul.

The ref was not biased in favour of either team. In many of the Munster attacks in the Leinster 22 I saw neck rolls and reckless clearouts that weren't called, and I also noticed some infringements by Munster players that were not called either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

What's frustrating from a Leinster POV is that our bench clearly made a big difference. The scrum was now on top and Joe McCarthy has making huge contributions at the ruck and in attack. Munster were beginning to flag, but when the time came to press down on their throats we couldn't do it.

There were some relatively inexperienced players there, but that shouldn't be an excuse. The game was there to be won and we couldn't do it. All that excellent defence in our 22 undone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I love the confidence of Munster who packed up the beer tent outside of Thomond Park last month 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Leinster players need to have a hard look at themselves or they will have another year without silverware!

Its not Munsters fault your coach made the wrong selection. Apart from Sexton, who was unavailable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭uptherebels

None on a regular day?

give your head a wobble and dry your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,353 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

McGrath was actually off the ground when he made the tackle, don't see how it was any different from any other diving attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭letsbefair

Think it’s time for the Eurovision! Good luck to Munster in Cape Town. I would always support any Irish team if Leinster not playing. It’s about respect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Delighted for him. I've been saying on here for over 18 months I think he'll be Munster's starting 10 in the medium to long term. That's pretty much nailed on now. I think we played better with him at 10 after Healy went off tbh.

Serious dog as you say as well. Was involved in 3 attempts to hold up the tackle last week, with one rip too. Pretty much nailed on for the RWC now, hopefully.

I had a great evening with my friends and family watching the game.

One of them was a Connacht fan, he was rooting so hard for munster, he roared almost as loud as I did when the drop goal went over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Stormers in SA is no joke. How many of the injured players can Munster realistically expect to be available for the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The excuses to lessen the loss/win or but an astreix beside it is horrible. Leinster lost with 11 internationals deal with it.

If Leinster lost next week and he had played a full team both matches the same posters would be screaming why didn't he play a different team against Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Doesn't say much for him. Does he know where Athenry is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Yes but it's the other way around for them they have secured playoffs in the top14 but will be battered from next week's final by the time Top 14 playoffs start.

I've no sympathy for Leinster ..the likes Sarries, Leicester , Wasps have all managed to win a tougher league and European cup in the same month of may and with their best available team out week after week . The idea you could rest players at this time at knockout phase is naive at best arrogant/stupid at worse.

Say next week is far more important fine off course it is...but Leo saying in his rant they are still hurting from the Bulls loss last year and then put that team out today.... spare us.

Anyway it's a little bit of a wake up call for a squad that makes up most of the Irish team ...this whole grand slam and coasting through 2 knockouts stages never leaving the Aviva was far too cushy for my liking.

Yep. Leinster fans are allowed to hate Munster, and Munster fans are are allowed to hate Leinster. It's nothing to get riled up about.

Any Leinster fans rooting for Munster, thanks, it's nice and all, but the feeling is not mutual

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'll have the fully stacked plain hamburger please.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

We'll have all of the 4 HIAs back hopefully

Snyman, Murray, Fekitoa, Nash

Those are key players.

I expect a few knocks from today but the 2 week turnaround should help a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭tbm

Oh man. Gutted to see Leinster lose. You can see what Cullen and Lancaster and trying to do, letting the lads who’ve been grafting in the URC, win the thing. Didn’t Ross Byrne start a final in Glasgow a few years back?

Listened to Frank Murphy on the Big Jim podcast a few weeks ago. Such an interesting guy. Came across really well, and you could hear the disappointment that he wasn’t picked for the 6N. I believe it’s possible to say he was poor today AND believe Munster completely deserved that. Murphy was not why Leinster lost.

Anyway, if they show up like that in Capetown they can win, and I REALLY I’m hope they do. It’s going to be very tough to get pinto the same level of intensity they had today. If they get a few folks back from injury you could see it happen. Imagining Snyman helping them to a trophy after the few years he’s had? Class.

Hope the front line Leinster players are pissed off. We lost the physicality battle today. Need them irked as f*ck for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Well done to the boggers, hard luck to the prawn sandwichers.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

You’re posting a lot for someone who is spending a great evening with friends and family. Regardless, congratulations on the win. Well deserved and hopefully POM, Murray and Earls can get a bit of silverware in red in 2 weeks time.

There are more criteria than which country you're from. There's rivalry, history, connections to individual players or managers, competition etc...

I don't want Leinster to win because Leinster have 4 stars and Munster only have 2.

I don't want Leinster to win the URC because Munster haven't won in far too long and every success reflects a failure in Munster that we're falling behind.

On the other hand, I want LAR to win because ROG is a legend of Irish rugby and there is an affinity there. We're not direct rivals with LAR yet, but that might change

I decide who I want to wn based on lots of factors

But primarily. I want Munster to win more things than Leinster win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Munster fan here but I think Cullen made a huge error. Leinster have phenomenal depth, way more than when they started winning Heineken cups and more depth than Munster when they were winning them. If they played full team today, I think they would have won, that's fair to say. They might have lost a player or 2 for the final, but which positions are Leinster really struggling for depth in where the replacement wouldn't be more than adequate to play a European final. Ireland won 5 straight international matches in 7 weeks back in the spring and hopefully do the same and more again in September.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It Munster can win vs Stormers (and it’s a big ask) they’ll have won it getting a result away from home in their last 5 league games.

Given the start we had to the season, it’s a super achievement to be in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I agree with this. That selection was either arrogant or just straight up misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cullen is nothing without Lancaster, who's been very conspicuous by his absence the last couple of weeks. Wasn't he at Springsteen last weekend? Something went on there with him leaving which is bound to come out eventually.

Cullen hasn't a clue, which will be further exposed next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh it was pure arrogance to leave out so many first team players with one eye on next week. You win the game in front of you and worry about the others after it. They did the same last year and end up with the square root of fook all.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,142 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't see it as arrogant from Cullen. He's prioritizing the Champions Cup, but he also selected a side that he felt could win this fixture. Similar strength sides to tonight's beat Munster in the league twice this season.

It's a squad game and he was backing the players who got him to the knockouts to get the win. Sometimes that's not enough in one off, knockout rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Totally agree 👍, it's a sickening result,knowing this is a game we win with correct team selected.Anyway good luck in SA hope you win. Next week may all come to nothing v La Rochelle so resting so many players today made no sense .

Advertisement