Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

One thing is for sure, we cannot afford to not draw on knowledge from other counties. I think that there is a perception that we have nothing to learn from others about hurling, and that's exactly the attitude that got Cork into their current situation. All the warning signs are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think we can talk here until the cows come home.Lads can think of whatever idea they like but ive no doubt it will go against the cronies at county board.Good forbid a bit of thinking outside the box and forget about it it costs because that's a big no no.You don't need to be Albert Einstein to work out there's a lot of sheep sitting in the soft seats. I know things have gone pear shaped for herity but the likes of herity and Tom Mullally should of being tracked down and brought into underage setup or get suitable candidates trained up.

We all heard Ciaran muldowneys interview here. How he was met with resistance etc. We're not saying he was a messiah,what we're saying is something is rotten and you've the same lads just moving chairs around the table. You would wonder hown managers being selected for underage teams are interviewed? And we're all behind Derek lyng but where else would you get it where he was asked and had no competition.

We all know A big root and branch is God knows how long over due but we all know it will never happen and they'll cover their arses by saying mick Dempsey is this and performance coach that. The records are speaking for themselves.The years are tipping by. You'd have to admire duignan he has being a breath of fresh air.Clare were a laughing stock a few years ago underage. They went back to basics and Donal molaney and many more are working hard with these young lads. Donal has won all Ireland's at underage so the pedigree is there.

As others have said it's a long time since we produced a kilkenny hurler. Worryingly on the pitch the seniors and u20 were both in winning positions and very unlike kk at home couldnt see it out. I know it's easy hide behind the phone and slate lads who gave up months and months but a proper review has to happen. We all think we have the answers and hind sight is a great yoke but that u20 team wasn't right from the get go.You would wonder how they thought Harry shine would last I'm not going to harp on bout it either but we hadn't a foward to bring on the other night and Danny Glennon got about 1-5 the night before below in thomastown and Jay Burke was marking him. A lad on the county extended panel last year

I look at the big differences Liam Cahill has brought to Tipp or a bit of steel pat Ryan looks to have added. I thought we looked toothless and a very poorly coached.The same few lads being taken off in most games but start the following game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Todd_UnctiousGael

I've been thinking about this a lot when watching the Seniors for last couple of years.

It's not so much the first 5 yards are in the head but in the feet. Receiving the ball tend to be sitting on the back foot which makes it harder to evade tackles and beat your man. Using Limerick as an example Byrnes, Hayes, O'Donoghue and Hegarty are all 6'4 plus they are rarely slow to start when receiving the ball and have a relaxed runner type gait when sprinting, not something you'd normally see with taller players

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

On another point of view I think the higher echelons of the county board grew in stature on the coattails of Brian Cody’s success. The arrogance is unbelievable, they are not listening to the county board members so the general public like ourselves haven’t a hope. I am so sick of this ongoing situation we can see it happening before our eyes for the last 15 years. Start moving today and it happens very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Eoin Everard used to carry out running sessions with the development squads a few years ago anyway but honestly if you're trying to teach a kid at 15 how to run with proper technique you're in too late. It's the kind of thing they need to have nailed very early as its very very difficult to get someone change the way they run like that. It would need a huge amount of time and work and in a sport environment you'd just be neglecting the hurling element then. Ideally every kid would be doing athletics at the same time they start hurling when they're 6-8.

I don't know if they still being Everard in.

Best of luck to the Celtic Challenge team later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Have being involved underage with my club myself and have seen upfront what goes on. Youngsters go into the development squads at a young age and after that their only priority is the county team. They have built up a name and once your in it seems your their for life. We would have had better players who developed later but never got a look in because they never made the panel under 14. Then as a manager you get less than 100% from the county player as he is keeping himself for the county teams. They used to publish the development squads on the Kilkenny gaa website. The same players year after year. Sometimes a player can get complacent when they don't really have to push themselves.

Similar with our secondary schools situation. One big school winning year after year, practically a county team playing against other schools usually picking from just a few clubs. It gives our young players a sense of them being better than they actually are and is not good for their development. If you are not in kierans or CBS, then you are likely to get an approach to go into kierans. Only helps to massage the ego further.

The result then is young players who don't realise they don't have to work harder at their game, but often think they have made it at such a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Great post…. This is it in a nutshell. We have plenty of hurlers here in KK but the coaching or lack of it is atrocious.

I thought we had the better hurlers against Wexford in Nowlan park the other night but it was obvious that Wexford had a game plan while we were hurling off the cuff or hoping our senior panelist’s would win the game for us.

As JJ said it looks like we need help from the top coaches outside the county and if we’re too arrogant to ask for that help we’re in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Another problem in Kilkenny is there are to many chiefs and not enough soldiers. A lot of people think they are experts. This does not help when trying to modernise the game at club and county level.

Wexford played a lovely brand the other night. Went short to the wings as they knew Kilkenny were slow on the legs. Went long to the big full forward at times to. Kilkenny did not know weather to go short or long, was an absolute shambles . I hear some players are disappointed with Dowling after comments made after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SouthCat

Long time reader of the thread..

just on coaching does anyone know who is coaching our senior clubs or even intermediate, is it mainly KK or outside lads

i know last year Comer, Village, Boro, Bridge and few more had lads from outside KK

is cork man still with Boro?

who is with Cody?

I think OLG all club men

not sure on Ballyhale with everything that’s gone on

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

You are now paying the price for 23 years of Cody

he sacrificed skill for strength once the great team was gone and fogarty went Cody was a disaster

new young lad from conahy with boro I think

at Celtic match against Clare there was a young lad playing corner back as good a young hurler I have seeing way above some of the players last night

maybe some of you will now realise that anyone as anthony Daly said to Cody his grandmother would have won all irelands with that team

look at Cody’s record with village won nothing when other managers did

skill always came first in kilkenny

the skill of players in the minor and under 20

was as bad as ever seeing in kilkenny hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Waterford fairly shocking today. How they are playing the likes of dessie Hutchinson around the middle of the field is beyond me. They had a lot of play in the 1st half but not being able or allowed to create goal chances is a killer for them. Davy will get the bullet and will be interesting to see who takes over as they've got to change the way they play

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Davys gameplan kills any natural flair players have

A real dogfight in munster now. On next week's matches tipp have Limerick in Thurles and clare host cork in ennis. If cork managed to beat clare, and tipp beat Limerick then I think Limerick would be out of the championship regardless of the final round of matches as they could only level with clare at best and clare would get the nod on the head to head.

I would imagine the match in Thurles next week will be a cracker as Limerick won't want to depend on other results to favour them. Clare will also want to beat cork and qualify for a munster final.

As for ourselves next weekend v dublin a win in nowlan Park would secure a leinster final spot v Galway assuming Galway beat antrim in salthill. If these results above happen Wexfords only hope to qualify for 3rd is for them to beat us in Wexford and Galway to beat Dublin in croke Park in the last round.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

There was nobody on the Kilkenny panel as good as Cian Byrne no.10 for Wexford.

He was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

Yes an outstanding talent to have coming through. Work ethic, pace, use of the ball, striking off both sides, free taking. Was head and shoulders the best forward on view. Foley wing back was impressive also. Looks a ready made senior.

His younger brother Cillian, who was a minor last year and played corner forward the other night is going to be a better hurler than Cian I'd say and that's saying something. We can only hope that with better coaching we can develop better underage teams again sooner rather than later. Its tough for the minors last night and the u20s during the week. They put the work in but we have to hold our hands up and say we're not producing the hurlers we were accustomed to or we're not developing them to the level required.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hurlarious

The more I think about this, the more the county board must be held to account. This is not personal but collective.

The County Board and its previous administration have failed to meet their obligation of upholding the standards of hurling in Kilkenny and this had directly resulted in a decline in underage and senior titles.

Their lack of effective leadership and strategic planning, inadequate investment in training programs, talent development, and infrastructure are causing the mire we find ourselves in

What needs to happen is an increase in funding for coaching and development programs, enhancing facilities and playing surfaces, fostering partnerships with local clubs and schools, and promoting a culture of excellence and dedication to hurling. At a bare minimum.

When people fail to plan in sports, they invariably experience poor performance and lack success on the field. A team without a game plan will be disorganised and ultimately lose. This is what is happening at both county board and inter county team level in Kilkenny and it cannot continue unchecked.

I’d have to agree with hurlarious about the county board.they tend to do all their projects piecemeal, in one way there is no debt but it also creates a meanness and unwillingness to spend money and as was mentioned earlier we need big investments in infrastructure. (1) a dedicated second inter county pitch (2) Dunmore to be extended to at least another three pitches and one all weather. (Which by the way they got a great deal off of the county council, this was offered by the council rather than secured by the county board) (3) how many gaa development officers do we have in the county and is it in line with other counties,now I do know Brian Ryan is there over twenty years but is he still on his own.(4)the skills have to be taught in the schools and in the clubs at an early age I think the skills levels have dropped drastically in the last twenty years (5) the national school teachers used to hurl after school one time but this stopped over a work to rule problem so there is no time given voluntarily anymore. Thirty years ago the amount of great volunteers in the education system was huge,now there are none.We need to get moving quickly and sort out these problems.

Also Ned Quinn is living in Croke park he should certainly be able to secure grants and funding for a lot of these projects,it’s not as if he is always going against the GAA far from it he bows to them constantly.

Ned Quinn is an arrogant know it all. All clubs unanimously want the minor moved back from u17 to u18. Cork, Tipp and Wexford have succeeded on there own terms. Kilkenny are afraid to do this under Ned Quinns instructions as Croke Park do not approve. This is the biggest problems facing clubs atm. Players u18 are to young to separated from there own age group, now most u19s are doing the leaving cert. Thats 2 years lads are only going through the motions. Dont get me started, the county board and Ned Quinn are a disgrace.

The county board thought that Kilkenny would always have hurlers without structure, coaching and funding and “that is for others counties who dont have as many hurlers”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Ned Quinn only cares about Ned Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BIMMERAG

There's sense of huge frustration in this thread at the moment about how our county board operates currently and how it has operated for far too long now. I agree with so many of the comments here about how antiquated our board appears to be and i share the frustration. Like so many areas of life its so easy to just pass comment and criticise but of course we all know that gets us nowhere in the end. Real change is required before we find ourselves so far down the pecking order that we will struggle to be a competitive fore on the national stage for many many years to come. In my view its too late to to look at changing how we operate the current minor, u21 and senior set ups. We are where we are and we all know why we are here. Development squads need to be looked at and looked at in a very serious way starting now.

Its no longer good enough for development squads to be comprised mostly of chaps from the clubs who have representatives involved in the coaching of these squads. Its no longer good enough to send out notifications to clubs asking to send in lads for trials. We need our GPO's and our GDA's out looking at underage matches and selecting chaps on merit, on their ability on their skill and assemble development squads around players that are already showing potential in real games with their own clubs, not just because they come from the same club as one of the development squad coaches. People might say that's not practical or that's not how its done but we need t start thinking outside the box. Our county board GPO's who have been in positions for a very long time now aren't exactly run off their feet and from the quality of their "coaching" I've seen in schools down our way, their time would be better served doing something else.

Each club has a county board delegate and its up to the club members to voice their concern through this delegate and send a message to the board. If the board don't want to hear that message then club members throughout the county need to find their voice, vote with their feet and make action happen soon rather than later because we are running head long, blindfolded towards the cliff edge and when we fall its going to be some climb back up. Never have i felt so frustrated and negative towards kilkenny hurling as i do right now, but as the saying goes, the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is today

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

I just cant understand why you write something like that about Cody’s 23 years. We never had it so good and great players which they were have to be managed and also kept happy especially when all of our subs back then would have been in any other county team. That takes managing as egos and expectations on players behalf’s have to be looked after. Cody did this in spades and with selectors at his side kept this going for 23 years which was an incredible time for our county. He brought in players who never played underage. He got rid of players who didn’t buy into the work ethic needed to maintain the success. And to say no skill pls go back and look at the basics of the game which all involve skill and were a necessity in any Cody team and all other counties spoke about copying it. Hooking, blocking, winning own ball, creating best scoring option, etc,,,,,

You need to stop the bitterness towards Cody and be grateful for what he gave to the county along with all his selectors , trainers, nutritionists, Physio’s and back room teams who also all had to be managed to ensure we had the best team on the field on any given day. 🍋🍋🍋🖤💛🖤💛🖤💛

Well said Delaney. It was the top men in the county board let the standards slip 20 years ago.Brian Cody was a great man for keeping it going so long with dwindling resources. In the end I agreed with his departure if only to freshen things up. I heard Michael Fennelly has taken up that new position as hurling officer. This won’t serve any purpose if they will not give him the tools to work with.

Brian Cody personally cost the county board nothing and his backroom team were probably cheaper than most counties and I’d say Derek is the same the county board here is spoiled with the people they got.they will have to get off of their arses and formulate a plan for the future and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

Agree and when Cody finished in 2022 he brought a team to a Final where we weren’t expected to be. With a little more composure we could have won it and we also have won the last 3 Leinster finals. No mean feat for a team not expected to be at the top table. Agree it was right time for Cody to go but he did leave us with a competitive team and Something to work on. The county board don’t see I believe the trouble we are in because of our underage being so bad. How someone can blame Brian Cody for this is beyond me and I think anyone that thinks rationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

Don't forget this same individual that you're on about actually doesn't have the brains to realise we won 2 all Ireland's, 6 leinster titles and 2 national leagues also after Martin Fogarty left at the end of 2013.

But I'm sure he'll come on here and respond that it was down to Fogarty anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Ant word on the 3 minors that went off injured last week - will they be available for the Clare match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

That Offaly team are a joy to watch. All hurling. Screeney is insanely talented.

• Advertisement

Advertisement