Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1x Road Bike Gearing

Options
  • 09-05-2023 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Does anyone ride a road bike with a 1x gear set-up (as in a single chainring up front).

I am in the market for a new road bike but all the main brands have similar offerings and I am a sucker for something slighty unusual. I have come across a small UK bike manufacturer that has designed its carbon road bike frames around a 1x set up.

There seems to be a reasonably broad gearing range on offer from these bikes and I could go with the SRAM XPLR set up with something like 44T up front and 10-44 at the back. Or 42T up front and a slightly more standard 10-36 at the back.

I wonder though would I be choosing style over substance and if I would later regret not opting for a wider range of gears. That said, there are gear combinations on a standard road bike set up that most of us rarely use and I suspect many of us rely on a small number of gears for most of our riding.

Any thoughts here?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Get the bike frame you want and you can easily change it to 1X by swapping out the crankset, do not buy a bike solely because it comes with 1X. I regularly ride my CX bike on my commute and on club runs without issue, 42t at the front and 11-46. I also have a 48t chainring for the faster times of the year. You'll probably need a new cassette and rear derailleur as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoeFloyd

have ridden my winter bike with a 1x setup on the road. 38 front ring, 11-28 on the rear. standard ultegra grouppo, but I got one of the RX rear mechs with the clutch, just because it was an option at the time (any of the 000 series mechs work great though - ie. r7000 r8000). the gearing with a 38 front would be a bit spinny for faster club rides, but I found it fine for winter miles, and also light gravel.

I've also gone 1x on my TT bike. 54 front, 11-28 rear - seems fine for that sort of usage - but that would be a bit heavy for general riding.

a club mate has been riding 1x for road racing. 54 ring on a dura ace crank, and I think he's running 11-30 on the rear. hasn't had any issues with chain drop, and would only use that bike for flatter courses. I've a race bike project in the works and may go that direction too.

I would suggest its about finding the right ratio for your intended usage, and maybe have a couple of options for the cassette size - go for a long cage rear mech to accommodate a wider range. you can run 1x with a standard groupset, and just not use the left lever as a shifter. always go for a narrow wide chainring up front though, to help avoid chain drop.

obviously, dedicated 1x groupsets exist - but to give you the best versatility, and to allow and an easy switch back to 2x, converting a 2x would be easiest I think.

as someone in the cycling press said, 1x on the road is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist - but it certainly looks cool :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a gravel bike that I've taken on a few road rides when my other one was in the shop etc. It is 40t front, 11-42 rear (11 speed).

I find that gearing perfect for almost all gravel riding but wouldn't use it on the road by choice.

There are two main issues - 40-11 is not fast enough as a hardest gear if you are going to do any group rides / descents / fast sections. Then the gaps between gears are too big with 11 speed 11-42. I use a 34t rear cassette on my road bike (with a double chainset) so I'm not the pickiest on gaps or finding the perfect cadence, but there were too many times when I either couldn't find the perfect cadence, or changed gear and found the difference too much.

I think your setup would mostly fix my first issue (44-10 should be fine compared to 40-11), but I'm not sure how much better the gaps between gears would be with the extra gear.

I do like the idea of 1x and I've never been a fan of front derailleurs (at least they have gotten rid of triples) but I'm not sure if I'd go for it on my main road bike. Might be worth a try if you could somehow do that, or make sure you have the option to retrofit a front derailleur if you changed your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

Helpful advice all. I a little less sold on 1x now but still like the look of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There’s always the option of the new Classified Powershift hubs too if you do go for a 1x setup and end up wanting more range, pricey and pretty new to the market but they’ve been getting pretty good reviews so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I ride this. It's a 1x gravel bike but with the road wheels on it, it's does a fine job as a road bike.

Have used it in all the club road race leagues this year

Max gear is 40x10 which has been enough. I could buy and put a 46 chainring on if needed.\

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

Thanks for all the comments.

The 1x bike I am looking at also comes with the Classified Powershift as an optional extra which effectively makes it into a 2x but the bike looks a lot sleaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I think on a 1x the gaps between gears would drive me mad. It already annoys me on my mountain bike and that's a 3x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I can't stand the look of a massive cassette at the back, so I'm gonna keep my FD for a while yet :-)

That said, for trips to the mountains in Europe, I think I'll buy a 32 and pair with a 36 on front.

https://edubied.com/products/dubied_monoblock_cassette_shimano_12_spd?variant=44365242630412

11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-28-32

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

nothing to do with the thread, but thats a super nice bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement