Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray Air Display 2023 - 29th & 30th July 2023

• 27-01-2023 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

The Bray Air Dsiplay website has been updated to confirm the 2023 dates. The show will take place over 2 days on Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th July.

On the same weekend as the GAA final in Dublin again, so could cause issues transport wise like last year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭john boye

In for the shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Crowds for the all ireland were going in the opposite direction last year so weren't a big issue

Main thing that people need to know is that trains often sit outside bray for a few minutes, it regularly happens most week day evenings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This was such a disaster last year but I am glad they haven't given up on it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

those people weren't on the dart for just a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Clearly shown in the Irish rail signal timelines that the orginal train was indeed only waiting a few minutes at a regular waiting point outside of Bray.

Subsequent trains were indeed stuck much longer because of the issues onboard the first train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Would it mess up the scheduling system and or any service obligations if I.R. ran non-stops from city centre to Bray for 2023 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Too early for line-up rumours from those in the know? Aside from scanning websites for various display teams is there any way to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭moonshy2022

No, because organisers don’t want people to know it’s the same rubbish display as last year and the time before that and the time before that and the time before that etc etc etc.

If you want a proper display to go to plan on going to RIAT

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭weldon

I was on that train. It was not a few minutes. minimum 15 but athat point I was rather uncomfortable, starting to panic and stopped keeping track of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chimp77

I see the Red Arrows have started to release their 2023 display schedule. They are listed as being at the Old Buckenham Airshow on the 29th of July but not for the 30th.

I wonder is this date already allocated for Bray 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

Both the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight Viggen and Catalina flying boat have self confirmed on their websites.

No Red Arrows or BBMF this year with the release of their schedule today. Though international dates maybe added later.

Post edited by jasT1981 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,742 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Didn't have them at the display last year either - but they did fly right over my house the day before 😉

Scrap the cap!

Yep that's what I was saying on the Reds. They have all there UK Dates released with a gap on the 30th, so it would suggest a potential appearance on that day.

Be good to get something new added to the line up this year, an operational fast jet like the F 18 a few years back, would be great.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Difficult to move from an show on UK east coast to Bray/Dublin the following day

RJF Self confirm

If memory serves, I think they done it before after the Sunderland airshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Reds have done it multiple times in the past

Happy to be corrected.

Personally I would love to think they would pencil in Bray after the debacle last year

Very surprised nothing has been announced yet. Website has the count down at 95 days to go but they haven't even announced its happening on their social media's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hen03

Hopefully they have have some good acts most military teams have released the 2023 calendar if not all and nothing for bray. Wonder if this is why they haven't said anything. Hopefully I'm wrong

• Advertisement

No RAF Typhoon by the looks of it. They only have 2 dates outside the UK and neither of them are in Ireland.

I was thinking this for a second...

Wouldn't mind seeing one of them doing a low pass...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

80 days to go and zero announcements. Is it even happening?

The closer it gets, the more expensive a hotel will get. So unless they have something amazing in the pipeline I don't think I will be down this year for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

They haven't got a licence for the event yet, deadline for observations is 11th May

Really?? Is it usual for them to be issued this late? Or have the council dropped the ball on this?

Edit - OK I see, they are trying to make it 2 full days rather than a pratice day on Sat and full show Sunday. Green Party want it to move to be carbon netural. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/green-party-demands-that-bray-air-display-be-carbon-neutral/a1249888718.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Time to vote this crowd out they are even giving out about Ryanair buying new aircraft they won't be happy until we don't fly or drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

No seeking, just DEMANDING.

They really need to be voted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Noxegon

This is the same party whose leader made a point of thanking the man using four airliners (and a battery of support vehicles) to travel short distances around Ireland for his leadership on climate change. I tend to lean towards environmentalism, but wouldn't vote for them under any circumstances.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

It's one councillor mouthing off to get her name in the media, seems to have worked... the people annoyed by this wouldn't have voted for her anyway. Councillors, senators and backbench TDs of all parties and none come out with the most stupid shít all the time to get the column inches.

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." - Oscar Wilde

Scrap the cap!

Does anyone know if its on this year in other years it would be all over Facebook and twitter at this stage very strange absolutely no updates on what's happening.

Looks like licence applications had to be in by Yesterday, so assuming all is good with it, it should be soon.

Last year announcement was on 3rd April, so yes, it is a little late but a few display aircraft have Bray listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Last year was such a shambles and so stressful for the family, the kids (9) refuse to go this year. Train + Dart was just awful.

Hopefully the train issues won't happen again this year.

I most likely won't be down. A couple of weeks after RIAT and involves a 3 1/2 hour trip each way as it would be impossible to get a cheap enough hotel with only 2 months to go doesn't seem worth it right now.

Viggen is a nice boost to the show, but last time I saw it at Bray, it may as well have been displaying over Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I remember them saying "our high speed display line", and it was halfway across the Irish Sea. Stupid. Bring back Galway where the Eurofighter aimed its afterburners at the crowd more than once, and the display line was basically the low tide mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Times have changed since then, and the Shoreham Hunter crash in 2015 is probably a factor here, even though that happened in the UK. Bray Head at 800 feet high presumably influences what fast jets are permitted to do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

I can't believe they're talking about running this again after the utter shambles of previous years. P1ssup and brewery are two words to come to mind.

Well, thankfully, attendance is not compulsory. I will wait to see what's coming and also the weather on the day before deciding.

You're correct - but having attended a few times what will be coming is a chaotic, overcrowded seaside, broken down DARTs, toddlers on the verge of meltdowns, never-ending food queues, plenty of Dublin's most decent, honorable young men, and no escape.

To be fair, you're descrbing most seaside shows there lol.

Dart issues weren't really Bray's fault though. Train stopped to wait on another train that was at the Bray stop, which is normal from memory, only for idiots to get out onto the track and try to walk to Bray which caused a massive hold up for all trains.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119381711/#Comment_119381711

Post edited by jasT1981 on

• Advertisement

It's been like that on previous years too. The DART can't cope with the volume of people being moved. Neither can the small roads which feed into Bray. I used to always go to the Galway airshow which worked very well with the mass transit of people - I suppose because Salthill is very close, even walkable from the city centre of Galway. Anyway enjoy in 2023, for me it's thrice bitten with the appalling logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Website is now updated for 2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone go up to Bray Head for this in previous years? I'd imagine it's nicer than being on the seafront with the crowds.

Have they actually updated the flying list for 2023 or is it a copy/paste of 2022? Wingwalkers seems to be the only thing different from 2022.

3pm start on both days too now. Yikes. The displays are good, I won't put them down, but nothing overly worth a 4 hour each way trip for. Lancaster is a great catch for Bray, but I will have seen her at least 4 times before Bray this summer.

That's my go to spot.

Last year I was just above the grassy area when the helicoptee rides were taking off. Got there around an hour before schedule display start.

There is a carpark there too.

It was very busy but not manic like the seafront.

From there you can walk further up. But with a 210mm lens I didn't want to go further away from the flightline.

There were guys there with 600mm lens.

The top of Bray Head is good for larger or faster display items which don't turn in tight by the seafront, but not so for the smaller aircraft. It depends what you are after. These are from 2015, though the display line and/or display heights may have been revised in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Romour has it reds will be going to Dub on the 29th, due to the wet runway restrictions they had at bál Last year. And as some know I don't do romour 🤫

Bray website stating the BBMF and The Reds will display this year.

They had an update from the BBMF on Facebook that they have an issue with a Merlin engine that they use,

To be honest this years display is almost a copy of other years and again no fast jets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement