Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

I think it's primarily a player rather than a coach issue. Frawley missed a relatively straightforward conversion attempt, and Leinster had a penalty late in the game where they chose to go to the corner rather than shoot for goal. Those were two clear opportunities to move beyond three points clear, and force Munster to go for a try. Maybe Byrne was carrying an injury and maybe Frawley lacked confidence after his earlier miss.

Ultimately the problem was poor game management on the pitch in the last ten minutes rather than poor coach decisions, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Very surprised all right that they didn't kick the points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It was though had JGP and Ross Byrne been out there there wouldn't have been a problem on the pitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I agree with you that player errors led to the loss. That fizzed pass to Clarkson/McKee running a short line was a bad decision. They were running into a set defence who would hit hard.

But the wider issue is that we also lost our two biggest games last season in similar circumstances. We weren't completely out muscled, but when it wasn't a total steamroller job from our pack, we couldn't slip into our usual patterns and expose gaps in the defence. That's a coaching issue imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

I agree that if Ross Byrne had been on the pitch then Leinster would have won.

• Advertisement

Also, it's not ideal that VDF essentially played an entire 80 minutes game the week before the Champions Cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Nick McCarthy coming on to see out a the game, who had a disaster in SA. What was Leo thinking ? I'm so fcking pissed off over this result. Even if we win next week which looks really ominous now, this result grates.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Munster deserved the win. Munster would have been well ahead coming into the last 20 mins except for a combination of Munster inaccuracy and some smart Leinster defence.

This evenings game also highlighted the importance of having a kicker that can clear his lines effectively. I don't think we got enough distance on our pressure relieving kicks, and allowed Munster easier access into our 22.

Ngatai was the only player who kick kick long, but he wasn't used enough. Against Leicester and Ulster James Lowe was so good at heaping the pressure off Leinster. He regularly kicked from his 22 into the oppositions 22. He wouldn't have played today, but Jamie Osborne would have were he fit. We missed that big boot.

• Advertisement

Worrying thing also with the amount of penalties Munster got , legitimate or not that's a different story.If they had decided to go for posts they would of been out of sight. Seperate note People pay a lot of money to go games in rds and aviva and again we pick such a weakened team, yes I get it that there is next week of course. The URC matters though .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Still feel sick after that tbh; really stings. Fair play to Munster, hope they go and finish it and win in SA.

As for next week, Jesus after Marseille last year, I don’t want to have that feeling this time next week.

We've a lot of players coming into the game next week in good form. Conan is back to his best, Henshaw and Kelleher had decent return games. Jenkins is motoring along as well. Baird, when he played wider was carrying very effectively as well.

With a home final next week it's all set up for a win. But for the first time, I'm doubting Leinster's temperament. This loss was a hard one to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Last season a combination 2nd/3rd team beat Munster comfortably the week before the final. I think the loss today will stand to you next week - no chance for complacency, will focus minds ever more.

Have to hope this fires them up. They shouldn't need much motivating after losing last year's final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I couldn't have been arsed about this one, tbh. I'm all about next week.

It's tough to win with Nick McCarthy and Clarkson in the matchday squad.

All in all though, I think Leo managed the squad pretty well. We should have a strong squad next week.

Great drop goal by Crowley. Impressive young player. Munster look much better with him and Healy at 10. It's like they were tricked into forcing Carberry into the 10 jersey.

I hope Munster win the title.

Team 100% need to deliver next week.

The selection was absolutely wrong today, and was disrespectful, and it backfired. Sloppy silly errors at crucial moments.

Coaches need to answer serious questions about how they’ve absolutely titsed the URC for two seasons in a row.

Here’s hoping it puts some serious **** hunger into the squad this week and they come out firing next Saturday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

All in all though, I think Leo managed the squad pretty well.

Clearly he didn't cause we lost.

Nah, I agreed with prioritising the European Cup, but there is no point in all of us (especially me) banging on about our much vaunted depth, and using 61 players during the season, if the depth isn't good enough in these situations.

A loss to Munster in a big game is never going to be something for Leinster to just shrug off.

Agreed on McCarthy, but on Clarkson - who I've been critical of multiple times this season, he won a big scrum penalty at the end, and should have had at least one other penalty but Frank reset the scrum.

How many times did Cahill say " I don't know why leinster crowd are booing" eh Hugh they are booing by the ref was atrocious and the decisions baffling.

• Advertisement

The team was good enough to win though. They didn't get blown away by any means. They had opportunities they failed to capitalize on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I dunno, i think if munster had better composure, they could have won this by two tries. Leinster spent a lot of time defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Tend to agree. Same excuses trotted out, bounce of a ball, missed kick, silly penalty. These are symptoms not causes. Leinster didn’t score enough tries and couldn’t get any continuity going. That’s not the ref or bad luck. Pretty similar to last years cc final, none of the usual approaches to scoring tries worked and the team failed to adjust appropriately on the field. Opposition finishes stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

That was a **** show. Fair play Munster, played all the rugby. Not one leader on the pitch in blue, gormless stuff. Charlie, Josh and Jack tried... otherwise very poor.

Murphy was absolutely pants but he didn't lose that for Leinster.

Thankfully my ticket was only a tenner. Aviva. Gick as usual.

True, but they Leinster's incredible defense was also the reason they didn't have that composite too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Hell of a beating for Leinster today. If ROG completes the Munster 1-2 KO next weekend Leo could be out on his deformed ear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Said during the week that we should not be fielding a 2nd string team in a league semi final, and that was why. It was disrespectful to Munster and to the competition, and it sent the message that they weren't taking this game seriously and it showed in the performance, which was dogsh*t.

This whole resting players at every possible opportunity thing is utter nonsense and a big reason why Ireland always fail at world cups. The 1st XV got rested for the two games in SA, and then they got rested for the Sharks game. They didn't need to be rested yet again in a semi final of all games. They're professional rugby players ffs. They can play 2 games in 2 weeks. The coaching team royally f*cked this up. And now there's a good chance we go two seasons trophy-less.

Munster were the better team by a mile and deserved to win. Brought much more intensity, played with much more ambition, accuracy and balls. Hopefully they win down in Cape Town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Well done Munster. Deserved winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭moonshy2022

Really hard loss to take. Munster fully deserved that win, any Leinster win today would have been robbery to a point. But the fact we have a far better and fit squad than Munster could ever pick and lost today is really annoying me. We were too cautious with our team selection, our players should really be able to play several weeks in a row especially with the end of season 2 weeks away. Plenty of time to rest then.

Surely the organisers could find a fully impartial referring team to take charge of a match like today. “Tackle!!, let him go” Munster player proceeds to rip the ball while letting go and I think Munster went on to score a try shortly after. If 3/5 of the referring team were former Leinster players then Munster supporters would be rightfully up in arms, it simply should not happen.

Munster really put it up to us and in the end were deserved winners. But it’s a bitter pill to swallow when you know you have a better injury free squad available than they could ever put out. The cart was put before the horse with the team selection. It better pay off next week or Leo’s time will certainly be ticking with many. 4 out of the last 6 finals, will it be 1 win or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭KH25

Murphy was a joke all day, and shouldn’t ref a Munster game ever. Him and Adamson being selected for the semis is an indictment on the league because they’re 2 of the weakest refs going. Neither are anywhere near the standard required.

That said, Leinster were poor and didn’t take advantage of the opportunities they had. Poor game overall and let’s hope next week is much better.

Advertisement