Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better game, GTA 4, or GTA 5?

Options
  • 04-05-2023 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

I played through both and the graphics are better in 5, but I'm definitely leaning toward 4 for better storyline.

I loved the Ballad of Ghey Toney in 4 also.

And how the vehicles handle.

They're both excellent games, and I think volume 5 is the most purchased game in gaming history?

The story line in 4 just resonated with me better.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

GTA IV > GTA V.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GTA 5 was fun unlike GTA 4 and driving in it wasn't a load of ****.

Both have absolutely shite stories.

I'm sorry how you feel about IV cousin. Now how about a game of bowling?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I enjoyed most of GTAIV, especially the DLCs. But the driving was awful, there wasn't a lot to do and what was there wasn't that great, and the city was a bit bland.

GTAV was a lot more fun, much better city to explore, a lot more to do.

So yeah, Vice City was the best game. But out of IV and V, I'd go V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

V is my best. I used to think GTA San Andreas was the best game ever but I played that remaster at release and the game has dated beyond belief and I actually thought it was shít. And difficult too. Games are easier now and that goes for GTA V. I never had to buy armer or bullets or even guns apart from the couple you buy in missions as I never needed anything the game was that good and gave you everything you need and is easyish. Never had to pick up bullets off dead people. The game just gave you all you all the bullets you need and more for each mission.

San Andreas though was way ahead of it's time which is why when I played it years ago it was the best game I ever played.

IV was alright but has also dated badly too. V has so much to do and places to explore and it actually feels like there is a city going about their business as you play and then even out in the desert there are people and places to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Explore?

What do you do when exploring though?

Are there additional missions to find or is it just basically random messing around?

I think we forgave a lot of sins those PS2 GTA games made because there was really nothing else like them at the time. They were absolutely full to the brim with jank and difficulty spike missions that would drive you insane. The driving was great but anything outside of that was miserable. The sense of freedom that no other game could provide made up for everything.

Then GTA4 came along and tried to be more realistic and cut back on the absolute chaos and insanity that made the old GTA game so intoxicating. The driving was made more boring and while the on foot and shooting was way better it still wasn't good. I just found it very hard to create the chaos you could in the older games until the DC came out, Ballad of Gay Tony was a nice slice of mayhem.

GTA 5 I felt was a nice balance between the PS2 games and GTA4. I still think it's wildly over rated as the missions really could do with a lot more silliness and it takes itself way too seriously. I didn't want the game to go try hard meme-ification like Saint's Row but just to recognise how silly the whole premise is and embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I liked the realistic heavy driving in the GTA 4 but the problem was that the cars were too boring and slow. Gay Tony dlc fixed that somewhat. Also the criminal lack of checkpoints. Some tough mission fails had you at the other side of the map ready for a long boring drive only to get killed again at the same point, awful frustrating.

I will say this though, the Ricky Gervais comedy sketch was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

GTA V for me. Just more fun and enjoyed the character swapping elements. Played RDR2 a few years ago and although a beautiful game, I think the GTA/RDR style gameplay is dated. Very linear which I understand to an extent as it’s trying to create set pieces but the most fun is just pottering around the world and creating some fun moments. The actual missions are a grind, go to points A, B and C and place the explosives by pressing X.

‘Go to position Y and take out the rival’

But I think position Z looks better and I can use some dynamite to blow them up when they flee. Nope mission failed.

• Advertisement

This thread has made me want to play GTA 4 again, looked it up only to be reminded it can't be played on PS4/5, goddamn the PS3 console sucked!

I can play it on my Xbox Series X. I bought it digitally a fair few years ago even though I would have had a physical copy back on the Xbox 360 years ago but I must have traded it in as I no longer have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I've been playing 4 again the last few weeks it has character but as a game compared to 5 standards its clunky and limited but for its time it was underrated!

The old weapon wheel is awfull and the locked maps a pain!

The problem for 4 is it did not move the game on significantly from San Andrea's and was a bit of a let down to me at the time of release!

Doubt it as i think Rockstar were going to remaster it but canned it as gta trilogy remaster did so bad, yupp **** idiots at R* shocked that a mobile dev made a balls of an extremely hyped and loved trilogy.

Then again i could just get an xbox one on the cheap with gamepass and a bunch of ps3 games i can no longer play.... but that sounds like a lot of work :)

Or get a Series S so its colour can match your PS5 homie.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Which is the better game is down to re-playability or what holds the happiest memories for the player while playing it. If your life is hell and a game can provide some escapism thats a winning game. Me personally it's GTAV on PC. Head cans on reasonable volume and the rest of the world can f-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

GTA 5 was very.......... short.

I finished the story mode in a very short space of time.

GTA 4 felt like it had much more to do, and the additional games (especially Ballad of Ghey Toney) really added to it.

Playability of GTA 5 is great, characters and voice overs are great, but it just felt like it could have offered a lot more.

I also tried GTA online......... which I didn't spend very long at but without the voice of the characters etc., feels like an attempt at a criminal-setting VR simulation.

GTA 5 was very.......... short.

You are the first person I ever heard say that. It was not a short game did you do any of the side missions?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I actually missed out on GTA 4 back in the day. Never picked it up for whatever reason. I dusted off the old PS3 during covid lockdown, got it on the PS store and completed the lot. Really enjoyed it but it's begging for a remaster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement