Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

110% agree with this. They have created this situation by their policy making.

I live down the road in D4, unfortunately we have a situation now where some of the local feral creatures are jumping on the bandwagon to cause trouble. I feel absolutely awful for the people that are forced to camp there. Scary times.

Honestly as citizens we should be uniting against the Government in their failure to deliver on many fronts

- housing

- health

- infrastructure

- immigration policy

And many more.

It's simmering and I don't like where this is going. Someone will lose a life. If Leo cannot see that the policy decisions and incompetence of Govt Departments have led us to this point he is **** blind.

I pay may taxes into the high tax bracket, I used to be aligned with FG but they have been nothing short of a disaster for this country.

I actually use it every day and agree they should pitch in that space. The feral from the flats with their free gaffs and their hands constantly out to the state will still chase them out.

This is a huge problem in our society. People that don't contribute and get a lot for nothing. Plenty of them involved in the protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The anti immigration protesters are behaving like utter simpletons and morons. I am all for protesting but they are doing their cause no favours.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Theres literally 1000s and 1000s more to take their place. All you’re doing if you arrest these people is create working class heroes out of them.

If we concentrate on getting the arrivees to a place of safety and get their asylum claims processed quickly without further drama it would serve us better.

This situation is going to deteriorate very badly if someone doesn’t take charge of the situation. I wonder if the army could play a role here?

Too many native Irish non contributers around aswell. A soft touch.

Too much social housing full of entitled scum around the city centre. That problem needs to be solved. Canada Goose clad scrotes causing hassle with no intention of ever making meaningful contributions as they pass their work ethic to furture generations.

They may be good for dealing drugs, that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

We are an expert on Turkish politics too now are we ? He seemed like lovely fellow swinging his iron bar around. Why’s he in Ireland too ? Must love the stew.

also no mention in the Irish press again of the fact he’s a convicted terrorist - no mention at all. I thought it was the presses duty to inform the public ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

We are an expert on Turkish politics too now are we

Know a bit as it happens. And he's not a convicted terrorist. Fact check yourself.

Theres literally 1000s and 1000s more to take their place

No there's not. The muppets behaving this way are a minority in their own communities, never mind Ireland. You see the same unibrow foaming at the mouth clowns at the protests in various parts of the city as they've popped up stirring sh*t. "Concerned locals" with multiple addresses apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sorted soon hmmm , well I sincerely hope you are right but I have a feeling it won’t be the case…. I genuinely believe aspects of this problem here is playing out for the majority of this decade…might have longer implications.

Quite simply when this war finishes and all the military personnel over there will want to escape here to be with their families…. They won’t want to be hanging around for to do it all again in 4 or 5 years… our government will have no option but to extend the same assistance to them.

I don’t back the governments here to enforce any temporary aspect of this assistance….you’ll all recognise that ‘temporary’ is a word not being used by politicians and hasn’t been for a time… just ‘protection’.. NOT accidental.

I use the word assistance as it’s light years more then ‘protection’… same as ‘temporary’ was never that either….

its been quite the PR hoodwink job from the outset by Leo and co. A carefully managed PR job, hoodwink and some ..

might have had some chance if Leo hadn’t been Taoiseach, might have had some chance if it had instead been an honest broker dealing fairly from the top of the deck, but Leo ? He’s really put this country and it’s citizens behind the 8 ball, in big trouble actually…

Thousands of Ukrainian military personnel coming here will have all sorts of baggage…. Physical, psychological…. This is a long term shîtshow for Ireland and it’s citizens…

When you have a dearth in effective leadership with backbone, a dearth of honest brokers like we have in Leo especially…..

1000% there will just be an amnesty and Irish passports handed out like confetti..

Europe will be the playground of the Ukrainian citizen…it will be ‘home’…

In time, if Russia attacks again with the Ukraine EU members , the EU will be at war. Think on that for a while people.

our neutrality won’t be worth a fûck either way with a threat….

The door is now open to Africa and everywhere, they see how easy, how lucrative it is…. A zero policy is probably necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I do not condone what happened on Sandwith Street but I think our government needs to wake up as this problem will continue and get worse until they implement strict proper border control measures and limit the amount we can take in as accommodation is short everywhere for everyone, Ireland is in crisis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Listen. I have no idea where you live or what kind of circles you move in but I can assure you that even in the mid west medium sized market town I live in the film of the deserted shanty town ablaze was and is widely applauded by the huge section of our society that basically blames our governments immigration policy and the immigrants themselves for the fact that we have no houses no GPs and no hospital beds.

I don't know where you're from, but if burning the last resort shelter of individuals is "widely applauded" by "a huge section" in your town, your town has a major problem that extends way way beyond refugees or asylum seekers.

But of course you made it up that so many people are applauding such scumbag behaviour, it's merely your own miserable and socially deviant disposition. So own it and don't speak out of place for your mid-size market town.

More affluent communities ? Because it costs more to attain property there…

probably less available housing as the areas are considered ‘more desirable’…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Wasn’t MM Taoiseach when we started accepting Ukrainians?

Leo was the cheerleader of no limits… and the Taoiseach as more arrived and people here got concerned, which he arrogantly dismissed with that awfully insincere grin… NO LIMITS

Yeah but wasn’t MM the Taoiseach when we began accepting and asking Ukrainians to come here?

Yes, but he wasn’t the catalyst as to when things started going pear shaped stoking and fanning the flames as Leo was the catalyst and the announcer, champion and cheerleader of no limits which he repeated during his tenure as Taoiseach as well as when he was Tainiste.

He’s been repeatedly at it since day one, with the capacity to reverse that position but instead championing it.

so you can’t go from no limits to no refugees.

Hmmm not so sure you’re correct on this one.

Roderic put the message out and MM was in charge when the floodgates opened.

Seems you just want to vent at Leo and put all the blame on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

Daniel kinahan isn’t a convicted drug dealer either. How many others like him have we let in ? Oh yes , we’ve absolutely no idea.

Weak.

You said he was a convicted terrorist. No he isn't. You posted out of turn and you posted a falsehood.

• Advertisement

Not at all, the blame is certainly for sharing…

March 2nd article is when I’m seeing Leo quoted as NO limits

leo :

“It could be a few thousand, it could be 20,000 as Minister Coveney suggested yesterday.

But we're not going to set a limit on it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

So as an immigrant yourself are you being blamed for no housing or GPs etc, are you worried that some of your neighbours are going to burn your house down??

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this the Dogan chap with 150 offences committed that Turkey are looking for?

Is it 150 offences or wanted in 150 countries? People spreading shaggy dog stories on social media from no-name Twitter egg accounts can't seem to make up their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

Inner city Dublin social problems are probably something that's going to have to be dealt with at some stage. Some posters on here talking about taking away their homes or benefits or throwing them in mount joy. We can debate whether we are too soft on them or what the solutions are.

What can't be denied however is the fact that they are Irish and therefore 100% Ireland's responsibility. There are no easy answers.

Something that should be easy however is saying "no" to the rest of the world's problems. We don't owe Nigeria, Georgia or even for that matter Ukraine a thing.

A lot of posters dislike seeing Ukrainian men in Ireland. However they at least have a real threat of being fed into a war and being killed. Should they fight? Perhaps but also perhaps not.

Zero refugee policy is adopted by Denmark, Singapore, Japan and others. It's a perfectly reasonable position and a position that should be adopted by Ireland. Ireland has done more than enough and been an absolute hero to Ukrainian. Ireland can be justifiably extremely proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Nah, I think awful kick it down the road government policy does neither group a favour.

Actual shanty towns in Dublin. Government policy has encouraged a race to the bottom in this country. Complete avoidance of responsibility by those in government and those outside.

Are you saying we should actively encourage shanty towns and hope they become more widespread?

I don't support scumbags protesting, I do support a shanty town being dismantled.

It's shameful failing to deal with immigration and instead focusing on things most people don't care about, our politicians have fucked this. Too much money too little decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Setting up these shanty towns was intentional government policy, they knew accommodation was not available for these refugees. It’s a really nasty racist policy. I would be more worried that they will be significantly expanded and made permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The actions of the violent neanderthals plays right into the government's hands. They have proven themselves to be far far right gobshites.

I don't doubt for a second that they are being encouraged to act like assholes on various social media channels but it completely ruins the arguments of any anti immigration folks.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

That's not true. It's not policy, is just fear and incompetence. The fear of an unpopular decision, and just a lack of being about to think about cause and effect

Better to close your eyes and hope it goes away

Advertisement