Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

With Auctioneera.ie right?

Yes they are quite transparent. Good luck

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yes, I forgot to directly mention that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Signed contracts yesterday!!

Was really nervous for some reason , i think its because my solicitor was a real pain to deal with .

Anyone know is it just a matter of waiting now for the other side to sign their contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

Glad to know you're getting a better deal for similar house.

However, I am not sure on the transparency in all the offers, as previously have seen a house getting a bid of asking price & 15 days elapsing and then coming back a week later as a new ad. Happened to see this happening on multiple times on 3 different houses goes to show that there might be some non-serious or fake bidders as well as I don't want to get in to bidding war as its caused lot of stress recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

And to be fair, this particular house came back to market once too. The EA told us a bidder triggered the 15 days and when the time elapsed, they contacted the bidder who said they didn't want to proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Bid 7k over asking price on a house 2 days ago, previous bidder had bid 5k over asking, as far as I know we are the only 2 bidders and house has been up a good few weeks.

Looking for advice on how long I should wait before approaching estate agent effectively saying to him to either accept the bid or not? I'm debating saying it on Monday and giving a deadline of say next Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Currently selling our home, bids went flying in Wednesday to now €8.5k over asking. My EA came back to us last night saying both parties want an answer asap. Only after 2 days!

we’ve more viewings in line as well. It seemed very quick to be pushing. But if I bid today Friday I’d want answer within a week definitely but not two days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I think the best strategy is to continue your search. Particularly, view another house that the same auctioneer is the agent, if possible.

This way, you're sending a message to the seller that you (their highest bidder) is actively looking at other properties and the vendors would want to make up their minds very quickly for fear you'll find some place better.

This way you are gently letting the seller know that you aren't going to be easily manipulated and you are not going to wait around for ever. They will either have to accept your offer or male a counter-offer if they are serious. If they are not serious about selling to you, obviously they'll do nothing, in which case you'll have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I'd certainly be waiting - neither of them look like very dependable buyers to me if I was in that situation? I'm sure the EA can give more of a back story why they are asking for a two day response time but if other viewings are lined up then.... EA just wants to close

Got it sorted yesterday. One couple are willing to wait, and are that their max amount so I’ve them as preferred bidder with EA. Two more viewings today, and that seems to be that atm. Hopefully I hear good News Monday/Tuesday about our AIP and we can move on then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

I’m looking to upgrade from an apartment to a house in dublin2/4.

sale agreed on both last week. Valuations/survey next week will decide the outcome as buyer of my place is cash. Not really depending on my purchase valuation as <50% ltv. Hope to complete all by end of July.

does anyone ever have second thoughts about upgrading? My current place is not very big and doesn’t really suit for renting out if I move abroad temporarily (which I’m going to do in next few years). But it’s so insanely nice location.

question. I haven’t asked the bank yet but someone might know here.

say there’s a house we love but it’s in need of renovation but living in it now would be fine just very outdated etc. house after deposit is €216000 but we qualify for a max mortgage of €312k would a bank lend you the max so that you could renovate your home?

Especially when they see you’re able to pay max after offering it. I’d assume you’d need to show coatings and so on.

Should be no problem - just need to update them on that is what you are doing. Going to be biggish renovations with 96k? Was thinking of doing something similar last year when we bought a place but we decided it was better wait a few years to do renovation when children are older and then release some equity to do a refurb and energy upgrades; will have more time to do it. Will work out a bit cheaper in the long run + have more freedom/flexibility with lower repayments. It is amazing what a lick of paint can do to a place.

we’ll see how our bid goes, I think it probably would need €96k it’s a house built in the early 80’s I think, also I’m not 100% sure but could be vacant for more then 2 years which would help with the renovation grant the government have. It has a D2 energy rating so would want to retrofit it as well(grants for this too) it’s a project my wife and I would love to take on. Let’s hope we can get it first..

You say qualify for a max mortgage of €312k  - do you have a AIP for that? We had AIP for a mortgage where we had said to the bank for that AIP that we were thinking of using 1/3 of the amount for renovations as we were looking in mature areas of the City for a house (houses built in 70's/80's) - we drawn down 90k less than the AIP amount in the end. Ended up 1970 house, dated interior but owners had done heating & insulation upgrade about 10yrs ago and BER was C1 so we reckoned house would be ok and it was during the winter.

Best of luck, sounds like it is a good time for you to do such a project.

Yeah now the AIP I’m 99% we have, but also have doubt of course. But yeah should have max €312k it would be excellent if they did give the €96k that would go most of the way to doing the job. We should have around €60k equity from the sale of our house left after costs and so on, as a contingency then…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

In my humble opinion, bank will only give you 90% of the price of the house you are buying, even if you are approved for more.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

That was my thoughts as well. They will loan you up to 90% of the property price.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Be careful too house is deemed habitable as is. If its not then bank will withhold an amount for renovation costs so wont end up lending 90% of value of house. Ive no experience of it but remember a friend buying place and bank withheld some of drawdown to reflect house is not deemed habitable

• Registered Users Posts: 7 magnolia_18

Hi, is there any one buying an apartment with fire & safety issue? I was looking for an apartment and the management company said they are going to start the work by this summer but there’s no guarantee. They said I don’t need to pay any fix cost at the moment. When I did the viewing I saw the fire/smoke alarm installed inside the apartment but not sure what’s the exact fire & safety fault.

There was an announcement of 2.5bn help from government but not sure if management of such property started work to fix or not.

Any experience or info in such properties?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If it is a structural issue mortgage lender may not advance.

It could be that there are common area issues such as no common fire alarm and emergency lighting. As an owner occupier you would be legally ok to live there but technically would not meet landlord rental standards.

You really need to get details of the issue.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

There's apartments close enough to me that have reported fire safety issues;

The last few that I saw for sale have stated that they were suitable for cash buyers only due to mortgage lenders unwilling to lend on such properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

We just bought a house in a very rural spot and knew broadband would be an issue. We had Imagine out to do a speed test, but as they are pointing to an old tower in the area, that a lot of people are on, the speeds were absolutely rubbish. We have gone with Starlink, it was here in a couple of days and finding it excellent so far, speeds just as good as fiber we had previously. We are ment to get fiber on our road later this year, but I wont be holding my breath. I WFH through VPN and haven't had any issues so far, and we have multiple devices online etc. Some of the house is a bit patchy, but afaik Google Mesh will sort that for use. The hardware was €300 which has come down a lot in the last year, and its €65 pcm so pretty much the same as most providers.

Anyone hear any rumblings of another rate increase , PTSB in particular?

signed contracts last thursday , not sure how long it will take to close.

Would hate to get stung for a rate increase when so close to the finish line .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm refreshing rte.ie almost hourly. Dreading another increase, and it's been suspiciously quiet for a few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

nope , heard nothing .

just assumed after the ECB announced the increase last week that the banks wont be too far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anna_k

If you already have your letter of offer (i'm assuming you do given you've signed the contracts) then you should be ok.

The banks give some leeway for those who are well progressed towards closing and already have their loan offers. For example, when PTSB last raised rates mid March they gave those with loan offers until some time in June to drawdown as far as I know (with all documents to be in to them by a given date to allow time for drawdown). BOI were not quite as generous but did still give a few weeks to those with loan offers to draw down (they raised rates after PTSB and one needed to draw down by May 5th to avail of the older rates).

Had a phone call with EBS about the question I had here at the weekend about if we needed to renovate would they lend for that on top of what we paid. The answer was yes they do, provided you’ve proper costings from a reputable builder etc. and that you say this and provide this info before going for the loan offer, not after the fact. They release funds either in one go or in stages. And obviously their valuation will need to met as well when it comes to that.

still one thing missing from EBS and that’s AIP!!! I think it’s a bit silly that they had one question about something 4 years Ago on our credit report which was a simple answer and we get bumped to the back of the queue.. but like our advisor said if that’s all they had to ask everything looks good…….

had our EA onto me again today asking are we accepting the current offer of €8k over asking. I said yes we will once I have 100% proof that we can actually bid on a house! She had asked the possible buyers to be patient and they were happy to do so. But to come back when I told her it would be Wednesday Thursday before I knew is annoying considering last Thursday I told her to give 10 days at the most!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Can you ask the agent anything about the other bidder(s) or is that bad form? Essentially want to know if we are bidding against a cash bidder as I'm sure that's a David and Goliath situation so we may as well walk away. We are in a bidding war with one other buyer and running out of road financially and mentally! Plenty of bids in already, us and one other bidder left, for now.

EA uses an online bidding platform so you see the bids landing in real time, albeit it anonymized, but the stress of it all is making me paranoid that the other bidder is a fake out!

We've seen other Dublin properties with various EAs go from anywhere between 30k-90k over asking, it'd drive ya mad this process. Any sage advice welcome, this thread is a gold mine, a problem shared is a problem halved!

Advertisement