Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭LostArt

I generally don't agree with much you post but this is pretty on the ball imo. I thought the team picked was good enough to win but see no reason for the mass rotation, Ireland will hopefully have to play Scotland, QF, SF, Final in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

The great teams are able to fight on two fronts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We did fight on two fronts.

We sent out a very weakened team and nearly won.

We'll see how we get on next week.

Congratulations on your win today, I hope we can level it up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I can’t imagine the game plan from Cullen was to put out a team that could win if Munster spurned multiple chances in the 22 and against the run of play. I think he expected the team selected to be somewhat more dominant. So, in that sense i think there was some level of miscalculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hate to pile on but thought the team choice was wrong simply because I don’t agree that resting players helps them win Europe. Leinster plays same game plan every year and it doesn’t win them Europe at business end of season. Why do we keep wrapping players in cotton wool. Better a few injuries if rest are sharp. I just fear we will take 20 minutes to get into final while players warm up

I think it remains to be seen if gamble this week will pay off.

frankly don’t care about URC. We deserved to lose with that team selection.

• Advertisement

We did fight on two fronts.

No we didn't. The coaches didn't think the 1st XV could handle two knockout games in two weeks, so fielded an almost entirely different XV to what will play on Saturday.

Congratulations on your win today

I'm a Leinster fan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Right! But it's got to be about next week. That prize is just to big. I'm disappointed we got beat. The squad picked wasn't exactly weak. If we win next week.... Leo will look good.

It's not like Munster can't or shouldn't beat us. A day if we're off the boil and yea, we can lose. Did the team perform today? Was there any point we're Leinster were schooled? It was close! A missed conversion and here we are. We didn't play well. The team looked off and not the usual machine we are accustomed too. Munster went at us hellbent for leather. The pressured us and the snuck it.

The depth is there. Today wasn't great. Was it bad preparation? Eye on next week? We didn't deserve the win. Obviously, had we trotted out the 1st 23 we would have won, imo. Leo was more concerned with holding them over. It might work.

I don't rate Murphy. But, I don't rate many refs, especially the URC ones.

• Advertisement

I think we win next week. I'm 🙏 we do. If we do win the season is in my opinion a success. Europe was and is the goal. A double would have been sensational. But, I didn't think it was on the cards.

Indeed! But we didn't have them. I thought we tried to force things. A bit of white line fever too at times.

Deegan for me was Leinster's best player with Conan right there with him. A lot of sloppy errors too.

How do you lads rate the players performance individually? I'd say most were 5 or 6 out of 10 with Deegan and Conan at 8. VDf at 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Fingers crossed for next week and I feel pretty confident that Leinster can win. But if they don't it will put a different spin on recent years. Dominance in the URC until the Saffers got their act together, big teams, small margins, tight losses. Same goes for Europe, big teams, tactically exposed in tight games where Leinster lose by less than a score, over and over. Still a world class team even post Sexton but the reputation of the coaches will have an asterisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I say this as someone who was calling for a stronger team today - both head coaches in the final next week strongly disagree with us and I think they know better, with ROG resting even more players this weekend than Leinster did.

Fighting on two fronts and winning doubles is very, very, very hard. Even if Leinster won today, if they manage to win next weekend I'd have made the Stormers a decent favourite in the final, given that the clear longterm goal for the team is a 5th star. I'm fine with the double being the goal, it should be the target every year, but but how often has any team achieved it? Give Leinster the top 14 schedule and it is somewhat easier, I'm not sure the URC timeline is really doable without luck (or at least luck not going against you, ref, bounce of the ball etc).

Building the culture that makes squad players want to stay at Leinster isnt easy and will only get tougher if Cullen wasnt trusting the squad in the URC knockouts. The last two years Cullen has rotated in the URC semi and Leinster have lost by just a single point both times, while the opposition have played great and Leinster have played well below their expected level. He is trying to thread a needle and is just missing by the tiniest of margins and I think there is some overreaction here to it.

ROG had nothing to play for this weekend. The outcome of their game was totally irrelevant. They can't be overtaken for second place, they have home knockouts through to the final, there was zero to play for. Very much unlike Leinster.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

As at 5:30 pm yesterday, Leinster were potentially 3 games away from 2 trophies. As of this morning, they are 1 game away from a single trophy. The 1 that's left, will be the toughest to win. People say the CC is what it's all about that but the URC demands more respect. It really has become a great competition. For Leinster to have secured the top spot in the league, losing only 1 game where they fielded the weakest team they could (away), with home advantage all the way through to the final, being knocked out like they were yesterday is a very bad look.

I think Leinster have more than enough resources and depth in their squad to balance their teams with younger and weaker players. I firmly believe that yesterday's 23 left them over exposed. In saying that Munster had to play to well to beat them but fair play they did it.

Looking back at last week's team, I see no reason why Ringrose, JGP, Porter and Ross Byrne weren't involved in some shape yesterday. Lowe doing the full warmup and not in the squad was bizarre to me!

The way the calendar fell, I would have thought that you go all out for the URC semi-final and that flows through to the CC final. 2 intense weeks. In this game there is always a risk you pick up injuries but that's where the 1 or 2 individuals coming in a) know their job and b) there's quality and experience around them.

If you lose the URC final because you lost some of your best players in a CC Final the week before, well that's understandable.

Anyone saying look at La Rochelle this weekend, my understanding is that Rog has is play off place secured and is doing exactly what Leinster did when they sent the academy to South Africa a few weeks back.

If we win next weekend, yesterday becomes irrelevant.

I like the URC, it's a great tournament but there's a reason the jersey has four stars on it.

Cullen took a calculated risk, it didn't pay off, but if we beat LAR then he'll be a cunning pragmatist who lost a battle to win a war.

If we lose next week, he'll be absolutely slated and people will be calling for his head, but that would happen regardless of how we had fared against Munster.

If we win next weekend, yesterday becomes irrelevant.

No it doesn't.

if we beat LAR then he'll be a cunning pragmatist who lost a battle to win a war.

I don't agree. Even if we win next week, he'll still have cost us a trophy by needlessly deciding to field a 2nd string team in a semi final of a competition that frankly deserves far more respect than he showed it.

Being honest, we got exactly what we deserved yesterday. And while I'm disappointed not to be in the final, I'm glad it will be contested by two teams who took the competition seriously.

Of course, there are people who just want Leo gone regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭LostArt

Anyway, I think we'll win by 10+ on Saturday

Well, it's very disappointing not to have won yesterday, of course it was, and that's not to take anything away from Munster. A double would have been incredible.

But we won three Pro14s in a row without doing the double and all the talk was that Leinster can do it in the league but can't compete with the very best. Europe is the benchmark.

If by resting some guys, and giving game time to those who needed it (Kelleher, Henshaw), we've increased our chances of winning next week by even 5%, then it was the right call for me.

But this all hangs on winning next week.

(Also worth noting that we very nearly won yesterday)

But we won three Pro14s in a row without doing the double and all the talk was that Leinster can do it in the league but can't compete with the very best. Europe is the benchmark.

But surely with the addition of the SA teams, the URC is a very different competition to the Pro14.

Yep, it is a very different competition.

When Leinster did the double in 2018, we had a week's break before the European final, then the Pro14 SF and final.

With the current calendar, you'd have to go full strength five weeks in a row to fully target both. That's not viable, especially if you have teams like the Stormers and the Bulls in the mix, and if Munster are finally getting their sh1t together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Very disappointed we didn't win yesterday.

But hand on heart do people really remember URC wins? I remember a win over Glasgow in the rain over there and a win over ulster. The details of URC finals aren't fixed in my head.

But I could tell you how every Heineken cup season finished. The moments of those matches. Madigan throwing an intercept in Toulon etc etc.

Europe is what counts.

URC is getting better as a tournament and I'm not happy since SA have joined we haven't won it. But whatever happens next week will stick in my memory longer than what happened yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Being at two of the three league finals between 2009 and 2012 (Ospreys and Munster being particularly standout) that we lost means that yeah, I do remember URC wins. Hockeying the Scarlets, beating Ulster well and even the drab affair against Munster in the recent run were still great.

This Leinster as a squad are good enough to be at least in the final of both the URC and Europe. As regards URC, a league final should be the minimum we'd be expecting - what's the point of strolling the league stage if you don't bother to field a strong team in the knockouts? Are we just writing it off as training for Europe?

Anything can happen in a final, that's grand - if you don't win it's disappointing but you can't win them all. But to (again, which makes it more galling) go out at the semi stage because we're focusing on Europe just doesn't sit right with me.

If we win next week, I'll be delighted. Surprised, but delighted. I'll still be pretty pissed about yesterday's loss when it was absolutely winnable and in our own hands to do so.

With the current calendar, you'd have to go full strength five weeks in a row to fully target both.

I don’t think people are arguing for full strength tho. Just stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

As I said in the match thread, Leo is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If they win next week, no one will give a flying f* about yesterday.

I would have liked to see a bit more firepower on the bench but hopefully this defeat stings and spurs them on next week knowing it's all or nothing with nothing to fall back on.

Interestingly, Munster in the URC averaged 10.3 penalties per game (11.4 in the HC) while Leinster averaged 10.9 in URC (and 9.6 in HC).

Yesterday, Munster conceded 5 penalties which is unheard of in a SF while Leinster conceded 12.

Giving Frank the game was always going to be controversial. Leinster's highest penalty count this season was 15 vs Connacht in Galway. Guess who the ref was for that one 😬.

• Advertisement

you'd have to go full strength five weeks in a row

Yep. That's professional knockout rugby at the highest level. It's hard. But the great teams do it. And it's what you have to do to win a World Cup.

Advertisement