Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

after Cahills departure last year the rumour was that there was only one applicant….so unless you are a complete moron (which some would say is the case with Davey) and can’t string a few words together then you will get ‘qualified’ by the interviewers and the job is yours….this could be an absolute horse sh1t rumour but at the time very few others were mentioned as interested…😡

Davey should go quickly after the tipp game as another humiliation is on the cards…..if he doesn’t go voluntarily then the Co board should force him but he had mentioned already ‘judge me in 3 years’…..so he is here to stay😡😡😡

bar 20 mins v limerick in the first game the rest has been shambolic / humiliating and depressing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

You really think that was how it worked? interview process my eye more so he was tapped up after Cahill left the co board with egg on their face and was told the job was his if he wanted. There were absolutely other candidates interested but only one man favoured by certain few people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Mod Edit

Infraction issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

That was extremely frustrating yesterday as up till the red card, that was a very enjoyable contest. In reality though we have the following problems that need to be fixed pronto.

1) Injuries - for years we get for too many soft tissue injuries compared to any other team. The best ability is availability. Every aspect of our S&C needs root and branch review with the goal of getting players on the field. That warm up yesterday looked like a cross fit session while Clare were striking 3 times the ball with dynamic stretches and the odd sprint.

2) Discipline - too many stupid red cards this year. Lyons first yellow was dumb and the second was badly timed but deserved a yellow. This is on Davy, your either coaching it or allowing it to happen. He also lacks credibility in this area as he is constantly shaping up to refs and coaches, so is leading by example in a negative way here.

3) Ball Winners - we are a very competitive team when we win puck outs but when we don't win ball, we stink. In the half forward line and midfield, we don't have enough natural ball winners on puck outs. When Aussie was POTY he had brick and moran as puck out options too. Now he has nobody. We also lack a full forward who makes the ball stick. Heaven an earth needs to be moved to unearth players of this type from the clubs. Brick also needs to be put out to stud.

4) Puck Outs - with the lack of ball winners we need to mitigate this weakness through quick puck outs and low trajectory balls. Nolan (I assume through instruction) never has a ball ready to go for a quick puck out and also has these booming bombs of long puck outs that favour backs. This needs to be coached out.

5) Score Taking/ Decision Making / Forward Shape - these are all sub standard but in my opinion will all be improved when you start to win puck outs and have an option to make the ball stick in the full forward line. Playing on the front foot will improve this. At the same time players need to work on this, Monty for example had 3 bad wides in limerick and Clare match. Dessie had 3 bad wides against limerick.

Some of the above is on Davy, some is on the county board. Some is on the players. Regardless we need to fix all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unbeknownist

Focus for Waterford Hurling turns to 2024. I do think the current group of players are good enough to potentially win matches again however the bigger problem is 5 years further down the line.

1. its been previously mentioned but Waterford not entering a Celtic challenge team is embarrassing the likes of Cork and Kildare have 3 teams. More players playing at a higher level means a higher standard. Waterford need to have a minimum of 1 team entered.
    2. schools hurling needs to be addressed. De la Salle are competing well at Harty level however considering their pick you’d argue they are still underachieving. Blackwater have dropped off, Kilmac and the friary have student numbers to compete at that level and CBS dungarvan have a big tradition as a hurling school. Minor hurling being u17 means there is a huge gap between that level and u20. Schools hurling is the perfect bridge for players.
    3. Tramore was spoken about already but considering it’s population when you compare it to the dungarvan area the number of players coming through is non existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

On Tramore it was a decent football club when I played.

I played u21 football for Waterford in 95 and there was 5 lads from Tramore playing on the starting 15. Arrigan and Reynolds were soccer men but Geary, Dunphy and McDonald were GAA men. Within about 2 years only one of them was still playing for Tramore.

The cull rate in town teams is always huge.

I never remember anyone of those lads even mention hurling but things can change if there is investment of money and coaches time

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Give me a single piece of evidence ANYTHING in this post is even remotely based on facts you can substantiate? I'll wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

According to Brian Carroll, the Waterford players wrote a letter to the county board saying they didn't want Liam Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Maybe they did but it doesn’t make any sense. I hope there’s some ink left in the pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭MfMan

Maybe, but Galway were by far the best team in the country that year. Wishful thinking a little bit.

I always have thought 2006 was as close as you could have came. A last-gasp defeat to Cork in the semi-final, who themselves were not beaten by a lot in the final against a nascent KK team. Would have been a 50-50 final had Waterford been there.

I remember coming on this board c. 10 years ago when Austin Gleeson was just starting out; someone posted how his potential then was thrilling and even scary. It would be a shame were his time in a Deise jersey to pass without something more tangible to show for it. More effort should really be put in to build a team with and around him. His fitness not withstanding, still one of the better players yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5948ai

Tramore given it's population has always been a wastelands regarding hurling unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

ah well it must be true so. Literally no one in Waterford has ever heard this story but good ole Brian the media man from Offaly has all the inside info

Would he not know, no? You'd want to be fair confident putting out a story like that especially if you're in the media. I think he has a reputation for being honest, no?

Your right. What are his sources? Did he name them? Didn’t think so. Second hand information on a story that grew legs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

The team is in big decline..Our centre back has three serious injuries over the last three years. His latest will take the explosiveness out of his sprint.

We had one of the most dangerous corner forwards in Dessie who barely gets on the ball now..No one inside the 45..our own puckouts and backs taring up the field. Leaving oceans of place.

Davys time should be up now.

Sean power or Sullivan for me should be brought in..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Do you think anybody would actually want to work with these players after these last two seasons?

I think there’s a clear out needed of a quite a few fellahs at this stage, but there’s also some very good players in that group that deserve better than the tripe system Davy inflicted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

if you bothered to read what I posted I used the word ‘rumoured’ a couple of times. Where did I refer to it as fact and that I believed that the process was as I suggested…???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Did you see this pre match warm up ? Davy's idea?!

• Advertisement

That's just a stretch - a breathing stretch. Camera angle makes it look weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Ian OB

Sums it up really

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Eddie Brennan was definitely interviewed for the job last autumn. I'm not sure if others were.

If that fella ever got near the Waterford team we’d be in a very, very bad state.

So having an opinion, a correct one at that, about the bold Brian Cody being finished as an inter county manager is seen to be sneering? I stated many times that Cody’s time was up and that he was at nothing staying in the job longer than he was wanted by the players that he ruled with an iron fist. Some of the replies to those comments I remember well, childish stuff. God you’re an awfully sensitive bunch up in Kilkenny aren’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Anyone find Gardner. Davy must have told him to come off boards when he got called up as his pitch side advisor.

Sad to see Waterford going downhill so fast. Yere county board is a disgrace, appointing that clown. Do ye have full time employees working for the county board? Are these paid employees answerable to the club's? Yere fortunes seem to be declining rapidly and that stems from the top down. Our county board in Kilkenny ain't much better but at least they are volunteers.

Sad to see as ye have a class full forward line in Hutchinson, Bennett and young Fitzgerald. But yere tactics don't use the inside line of course. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I genuinely feel your pain. I remember walking out of croke pk in 09 as tipperary absolutely annihilated us in the semi final I really feared we were slipping into obscurity , thankfully ex players and the county board got going put good structures in place and here we are not long after winning all ireland's.

It can change for Waterford too but the correct structures need to be in place. Plus in the short term I think ye've class players certainly enough to be getting out of munster. Thought Davy was a good appointment I don't now whatever the hell is going on there

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shocks12

Really? He would be very good look at how he got Laois going. Good club record excellent trainer and man manager. Would weed out the ****. Waterford play best with clear plans and no sweeper go to Davy was same as Derek. Need a outsider!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

what? he done wonders in laois , a county that look down on hurling from a county board level , the last game i attended before covid was clare v laois in ennis , they lacked scoring forwards but grafted all over the place and were tough at the back , look how far they have fallen since, fits's tactics are way too complex at times , brennan is way more straight forward and would suit this team all day

plus he would hardly let his performance coach off up to dublin for some rugby match when he was needed in thurles

Advertisement