Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster URC Semi -Final match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hard lines to those fans, not to be unfortunately.

There's a good few user names cropping up that are new to me I'd like to hear more from (and there's one familiar one I'd like to hear less from🤣)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There were two, possibly three (HCup) first teamers in the starting line up. But it's essentially the team that ran roughshod over the URC so would have been backing themselves for a home win over a Munster side missing a good few starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭phog

Surprise surprise, the ruck was already won 😐

Coombes wasn't penalised but is that only time a ball was slowed down or turned over where the player wasn't legal. Leinster got the ball back from the clearance kick and butchered it with a knock on. They actually had a penalty before and choose not to take the points

Bit somehow the focus is only on Coombes being illegal in a ruck where a free for all was allowed in previous rucks

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

My post Is not a dig at munster but leinster did field a second string, with likely be 12 plus changes for la Rochelle

As for Ben healy, he has played out of his skin since he signed for the Scots, basically 2 fingers to the munster management, not the club or supporters.

Munster need to get the scot contract ripped up

Munster DID NOT let Healy go, he opted to go because he wanted to play international rugby.

I suppose they could have stolen his passport & birth cert but that would work until he got them replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Wycherley, Scannell, Salanoa.

Coombes, Wycherley.

JO'D, Hodnett, Kendellen.

That's the pack that closed out the game for us. Good show of faith and bodes well for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That's only in response to multiple posts highlighting that exact moment from Coombes. Kinsella posted one as well. There wasn't a free for all at the previous rucks, borderline entries at best, certainly nothing unusual by the standards Murphy was holding the teams to.

But for two TOB knock-ons it could have been a 13-point game. Lots of small margins in the match (like in any close game). While it's disappointing for Leinster it's not the end of the world and if each team manages to win their final it'll be overall a great result for Irish rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Heavily rotated, very heavily rotated.

Conan, Henshaw and O'Brien start next week. Does anyone else? Granted Van Der Flier played 78 mins so might as well been counted as a starter. Can't remember the second rows, did Jenkins start? Maybe he plays next week.

The majority of Kelleher, Al'alatoa, Baird, Jenkins, Ngatai, HB, Frawley, JOB will also likely make the starting 23. Deegan and Connors are good enough to be starters, as is McGrath. McCarthy isn't far off and will likely push for it next season.

• Advertisement

Why is it two fingers to Munster, they don't control who's picked to be in an Ireland squad.

Ben opted to leave Ireland to play international rugby.

But Leinster had control of the ball twice after that incident and butchered them, why the noise over the Coombes turnover.

I mean he didn't knock on their ball and he wasn't ahead of the kicker for tye restart after Crowley's match winning drop goal

The point was you posted a Twitter thread which begins by talking about Coombes amazing turnover (as does Kinsella). I pointed out how obviously illegal it was. That's it.

Christ, the 10 tweets are about the final few minutes, you focus only on one action of one tweet about the Coombes turnover which you claim is illegal but ignore an earlier illegal entry to a ruck BUT after we won the ball back we kicked it back to Leinster.

They failed to capitilise on it but you want the talking point of 10 tweets about the end of the game to be solely about the turnover.

I'll give you the last word on it.

The previous ruck entries weren't illegal. The entire scoring sequence for Munster wouldn't have happened if Murphy had penalised Coombes. It's pretty straightforward. You brought it up originally and threw a wobbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Munster didn't 'let Healy go'

Healy became a NIQ and wasn't allowed to stay. The IRFU have very strict policies on non Irish qualified players

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d wager in practically every scoring incident in practically every rugby match, you can point to an incident where, everything after “wouldn’t have happened”.

The previous rucks entries would be borderline at worst, and were within the scope of what Murphy was letting go for both teams on the day. There's no objective viewing of Coombes turnover that reads as being legal. Shoulders below his hips, arms stretched out in front of him, not supporting weight, plays the ball back with his head and shoulder on the ground. Give it over already.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Any comment on this? an instant before McGrath tackled while on the ground. You insisted he was on his feet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I presume you give out about most of James Ryan's ruck entries?

We’re getting a range of flavours.

Pre-match it was pretty spicy, despite some posters claiming it was bland.

Post-match, there’s a a huge amount of saltiness.

But for Munster fans? It’s pretty sweet. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

But they aren't starters. You can frame it anyway you like but there were better players available that weren't selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

At the end of the day, the organisers left themselves wide open for criticism by not appointing a top level and neutral referee.

I remember attending an evening function where Joe Schmidt was giving a speech. He was talking about excuses but his belief was that if a team comes off the pitch, having lost by a couple of points and feels the ref didn't so them any favours, well the team didn't do their job. It shouldn't be that close! If they had done things the way they were supposed to, well they wouldn't have been in that position. Same logic should extend to fans too.

He'd already agreed terms with Glasgow before he was capped. But that's neither here nor there. I hope he makes his way to first choice ten and has a solid career with Scotland.

And the instant after it, when he actually makes the tackle, he's on his feet, lunging to scrag Crowley. I understand why Murphy called it, I thought it was a penalty when viewing it initially. What is the law regarding when a player is considered to have reestablished themselves as being "on their feet"? How is McGrath's lunge materially different from a chop tackle, or one of those low efforts on the try line?

He absolutely hadn't agreed any terms with Glasgow, he signed with Edinburgh

How is McGrath's lunge materially different from a chop tackle, or one of those low efforts on the try line?

The difference is he’s on the ground. Once you’re on the ground, you’re out of the game.

But you know all this.

I thought Byrne had got away with a marginal one in the first half where he went on his knees before tackling Healy near the Munster line, but McGrath's was clear as day.

I don't see how either of the McGrath penalties could have been yellow cards though. That one was outside the 22 and the attack was just forming, the knock on, while almost certainly intentional, wasn't in a particularly dangerous area and there were plenty of defenders (as the refs pointed out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Here's a question...bulk of Irish team play for Leinster ..since the NZ tour that group players other than murrayfield have barely had a tough away day worth talking about . Other than that it's been sweep at home in the autumn , grand slam where the toughest game was in Aviva and the final match was at home. Add to that 2 competitions with knockouts all through the Aviva.

For my Ireland fan pov that's a bit too cushy for my liking and any sort of kick up the arse is welcomed. Happy if Leinster win next week as long as they are really tested and need their very best to win.

I just find it hard to imagine you can have such a successful 12 months for club and country keep going to October and include the hardest test of them, somethings got to give. This sport just doesn't work that way.

Advertisement