Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish food and ingredients is world class / world leading / best in the word". According to who?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shlt mass produced cheese and shlt mass produced bread is just that in every country.

No one with any credibility is claiming that Bresnan's is world class bread. You seem to really be saying that ignorant people make ignorant claims. Why is this a surprise?

All countries consume poor quality, mass produced food.

All decent products. Many other countries produce similar, just as good, often better.

On the cheese, argument.

Ireland does produce many world class artisan cheeses. We have a French pal who when she visits, brings home about a 2kg selection Irish cheese!

Ireland has lots of world class produce - just like pretty much all food producing nations.

Generally, when I hear anyone claiming that x product is THE best, I tend to dismiss them as unknowledgeable. Even if I really like the product in question.

Clonakilty is THE best pudding!

Guinness is THE best stout!

Etc.

Shut up! There is no best. It's subjective, and no doubt, you haven't compared enough examples to have an educated opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I think it's agreed around the world that Irish dairy produce in particular our milk and butter is exceptional. And our beef wins scores of medals in international competitions. In the 2022 World Steak Challenge the best grass-fed steak in the world medal went to Northern Ireland while Ireland took 54 medals in total. Back in 2019 we got 75 medals including world's best fillet steak and there were 26 countries competing so I'd say that's a fair indicator. You couldn't argue really that we have ideal conditions for producing great beef. We're definitely up there with Argentina or anywhere else you care to mention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think it's fair to say we have a capability of producing quality produce in volume, given the focus on beef and dairy. Doesn't logicaly follow that being able to produce quality in volume means that we produce the best though. My own inexpert opinion would be that the real high quality niche stuff only really started to take off properly during the Celtic Tiger, there's a far greater demand for that domestically now than there would have been 30 years ago; so we don't have don't have a massive history of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

"TLDR "Some" of our food is the best in the world."

According to who?

Also those muscle building hormones they put in Brazilian beef must add some delicious flavour too. Nicer than any Irish beef I've had.

It's not a propaganda campaign by food producers i agree. I guess it's more like a mind virus (like the original definition of a meme by Richard Dawkins) that spreads through cults or small Amazon villages cut off from the rest of the world.

Literally everything that happens in Ireland only happens in Ireland, and it's also the best thing in the world.

Kim Jong Un would love to be president of this country. He wouldn't have to lift a finger. The people create and spread patriotic propaganda all by themselves.

Where did you get these figures? I'm not doubting you, just want to check other countries tallies too. From a quick Google it looks like every country won tonnes of medals. I'd like to see how we stack up to the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Have you even read the thread?

Above somebody pointed out that Ireland has won medals in international competitions for beef.

Here is a UK web site called "Great British Chefs" where they discuss Ireland's international reputation for food ingredients.

More delusional North Korean-style propaganda, this time appearing in an America-based international business magazine and written by a journalist from New Orleans.

• Advertisement

All those articles you shared could be AI generated. Can't be trusted.

My Belarusian bot farms are working around the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

From a production standards point of view we would have very high standards, having standards at all stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

I only go by what I know and like, proper family butchers over supermarket for meat especially sausages and bacon. Best bread was Milford but they closed down years ago now it's Brennen's. I've ate a 'fry' in England and it was muck, bacon was just rank but I did like scottish chippes they do haddock where as in the 6 it's mostly whiting and I do love whiting but a lot of English sea anglers consider whiting a bait thief much like the coalfish, not a highly sought after table fish.

Nobody can claim their food is superior without eating absolutely every dish in every country, now world renowned chef Antony Bordain was on the Enterprise from Dublin-Belfast and had a full Irish fry his own words this is the best food in the world. You can get it on you tube but thats his own personal opinion but still high praise from a professional. Eat what you like support local butchers by buying from them when you can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one illuminating example of what irish people tell themselves about the country is if you mention to an irish person that ireland has the most degraded natural landscape of any country in europe, most of them will look at you like you've got two heads. partly because many irish people have been successfully led to believe that cows grazing in a field is natural.

I do go to my local butcher and buy their chicken which is from Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

We are good at producing swelled heads.Think cabbage.Making the rich richer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Our local butchers have a chain of 6 shops and a farm, I haven't a clue about farming but I know the pork is from their own pigs. Chickens not sure about, beef yes it's theirs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

That's because even though you spam this claim into every thread you post on this site, it's not actually true, - you just hate farmers and anyone who gets to live in the countryside.

Get over you jealousy and stop telling foolish lies that just make you look stupid.

We've discussed this before so don't bother posting your spurious link to a discredited report from a corrupt body with an agenda. Once was enough for me to waste my time reading that bullsh1t.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

of all the things you mention in that little diatribe; jealousy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

This is a strange aul thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Please remember to attack the post, not the poster. If this nonsense continues, I’ll lock the thread.

The Gloomster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

You can visit the organizer's website if you like. Not sure what the problem is with acknowledging that Ireland produces top quality beef.

In 2021 we took 46 gold medals, more than any other country in the six years the competition had been running.

There is probably no single country that produces 'the best' but there is a small number of countries renowned for the quality of their beef and Ireland is one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I usually smile and nod when someone throws out that statement, but when there's someone present unfamiliar with food in Ireland I tend to point out to them that they're only talking about beef and dairy. The claim "Irish food and ingredients" can be a bit misleading otherwise, given that the country only produces a very, very limited number of ingredients. Where fruit and veg are concerned, that claim simply doesn't stand up.

on the balance of output in irish agriculture, this is dept of ag's figures for output in 2019:

assuming forage is excluded (then included) because it is produced as a crop, but not for the human foodchain, i.e. it's an output but then is a direct input back into the ag sector, the dairy and beef sector account for 69% of the value of the output.

if i read that right, the total output of non-animal based products is 12%.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭eusap

As you travel across Europe or the Globe in top restaurants you will not see Country French or German Beef listed on the menu but you will see "Irish" beef listed with pride, all those chefs cannot be wrong. Colleagues across Europe seek out Irish Beef in the super market.

Kerrygold Butter is world famous for a reason, Cashel Blue cheese appears in the top 10 cheeses of the world.

Truckloads of Pigs leave ireland everyday for European markets

9/10 fishing trawlers landing in Ireland are exporting fish, the Madrid fish market first sells out of Irish Fish before the local or french products

Chinese people go mad for the Irish baby milk formula, not the any other country in the world making the stuff.

We have high quality, high welfare, high traceability

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Not on pigs we don't. The conditions are downright cruel for an intelligent animal. They never see the sky. I'm off a farm, the beef quality is high, so is the butter and the cheese but saying that standards are high in pork is just ignorant. Re wheat, we generally import all our flour as the wheat we produce is only fit for animal feed and not milling. We get our milling flour from the UK and the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You mention truckloads of pigs being exported and then talk about high welfare lol. Lest we forget the 10s of 1000s of baby calves exported from ireland every year to North Africa etc where I'm sure they're treated delightfully.

Advertisement