Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster URC Semi -Final match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Cool, we'll just ignore the part where he's off the ground before he actually makes contact with Crowley so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You want people to take you seriously with ridiculous takes like that?

I think the first was cynical but maybe just under the threshold for a yellow, but the deliberate knock on was by the same player in a similar area of the pitch only a few minutes later, so for repeated cynical play, that should have bumped it up to a yellow. Both of those snuffed out Munster attacks.

Doesn't really matter except as a counter to those who think Murphy rode Leinster.

Some of the calls against Leinster weren't even from Murphy, the disallowed Baird try for example was purely from Ben Whitehouse.

Oh look at that, he's off the ground.

Get thee to a law book.

You're not on your feet unless you're supporting your bodyweight with your feet.

And you are not even allowed to attempt a tackle when you're off your feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

must have some spring to get up on his feet and back down into that position in 0.1 of a second, seriously athletic 🤔

If that's the standard required to reestablish yourself as on your feet, I conceed the point.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think you're misunderstanding the law, to be honest.

I fully accept it, if that's the case. It didn't look functionally different from a chip tackle in form.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The disallowed Baird try was clear as day, even in real time. I honestly don't know how anyone could dispute the ball hitting TOB's hand there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He’s got his back practically facing the ground. That’s entirely different from a chop tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭letsbefair

IT reports Healy’s penalty was over 60 seconds and should have been disallowed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ben healy showing that the IRFU made a mistake not selecting him for Ireland before he got his head turned by Scotland.

The writing was on the wall for long enough, he could have been capped ahead of carbery in plenty of games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm sure they're crying themselves to sleep.

Healy was fine, nothing more and nothing to make anyone scream about losing out on him to Scotland.

Hes plating better than carbery, future commitments aside his performances of late would have put himself in serious contention in the pack of 4/5 players that are looking to be the next to take the irish jersey.

It was a mistake letting him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I haven’t really but sober me might be able to construct a post more reflective of how I feel.

Firstly Munster very much deserved the victory. Their defence was stifling. They brought a level of physicality and aggression we haven’t seen from them in a long time in this fixture. Their willingness to fight to get back on their feet and get back in the line was brilliant through out. Also they made **** of our ruck ball without having to commit numbers. Big kudos goes to Crowley that was a big decision and he nailed it.

I didn’t think Munsters attack looked great yesterday. Maybe if I watch it back it might look different. I thought Healy was a bit Headless and he got caught a couple of times because of his indecision. Crowley improved things I thought when he went to 10. However it was a day for defences and since for most of the game, the offside law didn’t exist. It was always going to be difficult to create much in attack.

Frank Murphy was atrocious yesterday and completely one sided in how he refereed the game. In what was an incredibly evenly matched game. He penalized Leinster more than twice as much as he did Munster. If there was a huge amount of pressure, then that would make sense but there wasn’t. Both teams had periods of dominance but nothing sustained. He penalized Munster 3 times in the first 3 minutes. Then only twice in the next 77 minutes. That just makes no sense. Munsters scrum collapsed after Whycherly came on. Yet for all the scrum dominance it only yielded one penalty. The Munster front row just stood up in every scrum. As the Munster fan in front of me said. This is payback for Rolland.

That Munster deserved to win and Frank Murphy was a joke, can both be true at the same time.

He wasn't "let go", he chose to leave and he's a lot closer to the Scottish team than he still would be to the Irish one.

It would have been slightly better to keep him, but at the time neither Rowntree or Farrell seemed all that bothered and I don't think he's done anything to massively change that. And while Carbery clearly has his problems, he has reached a height of play that Healy still has not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Nice for my post to have stuck with you. For actual context:

You're getting fierce excited about a match that is barely registering for most Leinster fans or even Leinster themselves.

Maybe Munster win and they get their pens out to write a play about beating a Leinster B team who were focused on the far bigger game the following weekend.

As you'll see, I never said it barely registered with me, I value the URC and wanted them to win the game and have more of their starters in the team to help them do so.

It didn't register for either Leinster or the fans. Leinster gambled because their priority is next week, things didn't go their way, and they lost. Fans are trying to beg, borrow, or steal for tickets to next week and despite Munster helping to fill up the ground it didn't even fill the reduced capacity.

Munster celebrations might not have been quite play worthy but not too far off, with Munster players in tears after beating the Leinster B side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭phog

But Murphy was a joke for us too, a try from a knock on & McGrath not getting a card are two/incidents that stand out.

Before the game I was 100% against his selection as ref, after the game I feel the same way but I think he inept against both sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Fair enough. Let me amend that to if the ref is letting it go at the breakdown like Murphy was, you are more likely to get penalties with the ball. He was only giving the most obvious of penalties and most of those (like not rolling away) are easier to manufacture with the ball.

Munster could maybe not buried him in the depth chart, making it very clear for most of the year that he was seen as 3rd choice.

They couldn't stop him from going but they could have done a hell of a lot more to get him to stay

If they did see him as 3rd choice why would they care though?

He is going because he wasnt capped mistakenly by Ireland. The same IRFU were happy to bend over backwards to give frawley a tour to SA but couldnt find the opportunity to give healy a run off the bench in a game over the last few years

I find the concept of capture caps fairly offensive and hope the IRFU don't go down that road. Ireland aren't in the habit of capping players just for the sake of it - but Farrell is not opposed to bringing in players he thinks can be good in his team. Crowley has certainly benefitted from that. Ultimately, Healy is a decent if not spectacular player that the Irish management don't see as being of international calibre.

Bend over backwards to give Frawley a tour to SA 😂 Far more Munster players have benefitted from that tour than Leinster players for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭phog

No way should the IRFU cap him or anyone else to tie them down. If they didn't want him om merit then that's find bit then posters shouldn't troll about Munster not being able to keep him.

I suppose it is also a diversionary tactic from the match

Can anyone explain to me Murphy's logic in just giving a penalty in Connors incident? It was impossible to tell due to commentary - did he even look at it on the big screen?

Going through the head contact process - Murphy believed it was foul play so then you look at the degree of danger and that should be high due to it being direct to the jaw from a swinging arm. Then look at mitigation, the tackler has good line of sight, tackler stays pretty upright into the tackle, Connors doesn't suddenly or significantly change height, and a swinging arm isn't passive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sure. It was a Munster infringement and he was never going to give anything more. Hope that helps.

That's really my point.

It looks like Munster didn't care, they didn't show the desire to show that he was wanted. Any attempt to deflect any blame* to IRFU or Farrell is just nonsense.

*I don't believe there is blame, there shouldn't any regarding a backup moving abroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There has definitely been blame, plenty of "well he was overlooked by Ireland" guff on this forum. Totally ignores the fact he's been firmly third choice for the vast majority of the season. Not sure he made a single 23 for Europe this season?

Advertisement