Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

If Leinster do win the HC I'd say the players will care about the loss yesterday, even if some fans won't. These are elite athletes and they've only two tournaments to win for their club. There's a bit of extra pressure on Cullen and co now. Anyone calling for his head though needs their own head examined, him and Lancaster turned Leinster into a very well oiled machine

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It didn't need to be stronger. That team was plenty strong enough to win and very nearly did. The fact that we didn't win doesn't automatically we got it wrong.

On another day, Munster could have been down to 14 after one minute. On another day, Baird's try doesn't get pulled back. On another day, Crowley scuffs his kick. None of these were within Cullen's control but any of them happen and he's a genius. But they didn't and the pitchforks are out.

But more importantly, every first choice player you add to increase your chances of winning also increases your chances of something happening to one of your starting XV for the final.

Imagine VDF had started and he's the one being carted off in the second minute. You'd have the same people out berating Leo for going full bore for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No it doesn’t become irrelevant. Unless you believe the league is irrelevant. Which it most certainly isn’t.

Winning next week doesn’t prove the gamble to go so weak on the bench was the right decision. No matter what happens next week, it was the wrong decision and cost us the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

There’s a range of opinion between those who would have the pitchforks out regardless, and genuine legitimate criticism of Cullen.

Just like there’s a range of options between the team fielded yesterday and full strength.

Every one of my Munster supporting friends were pretty happy when the saw the team sheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The team yesterday weren't strong enough to win.

How McGrath didn't get a yellow for the deliberate knock-on was beyond me. What if Munster actually converted those 22 visits into tries rather letting Leinster turn the ball over?

You can't wrap players up in cotton wool at the business end of a season. Sure VDF could've come on at 75mins yesterday and be carted off at 76. When you get to a quarter/semi final it's about winning the next match. Simple as that. If you field a strong team and end up losing 1 or 2 players but win, well then it's job done. You just plough on, deal with the outcome and do your best the next day. Who would've thought given the injuries Munster shipped last week that a win yesterday was on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree with you. It's extremely tough to win the double. The URC is spread far and wide and the travel to S A alone is a slog. Leo has choreographed an amazing run. He fcuked up the strength in both URC semis. It's a tough balancing act.

Maybe "irrelevant" is OTT but I think it's fair to say that the absolute focus of the coaching staff is on Europe.

Healy and VDF were on the bench! Joe McCarthy also. That's not chopped liver! I'd say if Luke had been carted off after a minute and Nick McCarthy come on, we'd have been well beaten.

I wasn't happy when I saw Clarkson on the bench either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Two minor changes and Leinster score 2 tries. The team on the day underperformed, but it wasn't a a demolition job but any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've always been a fan of Luke McGrath and I believe he never got the plaudits for his performances that he deserved. But the last few seasons really haven't been great for him. He's still an excellent reader of the game in attack and defence, but his pass quality, which was never great to begin with, has gotten worse.

I think he killed some promising attacks by flapping his arms at the breakdown when the ball was available and allowing the defence a split second longer to realign. And his passing was either slow and loopy or inaccurate, completely stalling momentum. He's still worth a place in the squad, but I don't think he can be relied upon in the biggest games anymore.

The rucks were a mess yesterday, which makes things harder for a 9. But he's had the same issues for a number of years now, mostly centres around how the ball is presented to him and in his passing.

That's harsh , imo. Who wmelse is close to his level, Leinster have 2 good 9's. After that there's Foley! He is not the player you want in the squad for a semi. Nick McCarthy wouldn't get into 'tarf's squad. It's clearly amazeaballs that he's had professional contracts.

There's a good chance that Ben Murphy could be an option. Time will tell.

Regarding Luke flapping his arms, every 9 does that. Conor M is a master. Luke is not a great 9. But he's solid and gives 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Nonsense about McCarthy especially saying lucky to have a pro contract.

Dont think there is any chance Murphy will be picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

So IT reports Healy’s penalty was over the 60 seconds rule and should have been disallowed!!

no comment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The poster I was responding to claimed this:

I don’t agree that resting players helps them win Europe.

I understand fully the situation that LAR were in, that it was different than Leinster being in a semi - that isn't the point.

If the OP's belief is true, that resting players the week before the final wasn't beneficial, then ROG wouldn't have done it this weekend.

It was far more risky for Cullen to rest players but both he and ROG clearly believe resting the week before a final gives them a better chance of winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You need to let it go. They were the better team and deserved the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭moonshy2022

Forgot about that as well. Was even mentioned by commentators.

Leinster's defence has been excellent for years, but yesterday was one of our weakest performances in that regard for a long time. Munster have improved their attack which we know, but it feels like we gave them too many easy entries into our 22 with bad reads and poor one up tackling.

We lost that game through a knock on in their 22 which they then counterattacked from. But that transition play could have and should have been slammed shut well before they exited their 22. Joe McCarthy rushed up after the knock on, but rather than hitting the carrier or blocking the passing lane, he stood off and let the man pass unopposed. The next phase we hit Hodnett who was carrying, but it was a soak tackle which allowed him to free his arms and offload. Better decisions in defence would have put that game up bed.

We might see that change in technique when Nienaber comes in.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Some players and fans will care about this loss and others won't.

Luke Fitzgerald actually spoke about it recently on his podcast, actually related to the last time Munster won a trophy. He said that it still sticks with him that they didn't do the double in 2011 but it didn't really bother a good portion of the team, which he couldn't understand. Admitted that most of the team celebrated far too much after the Saints comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yesterday was a bit of a mess but the correct team was more or less picked on the day and just didn't get over the line. On another day, or with perhaps one or two personnel changes, or without one or two errors, it would have been different. As another poster said, if it was VDF, Ross Byrne, Ryan or Ringrose who went down after one minute and was ruled out next week, there'd be just as much anger.

Refereeing was utterly abysmal and genuinely one of the worst performances I've seen in all my years watching rugby. It affected both teams at times but Leinster definitely suffered the most with some blindingly obvious wrong calls by Frank Murphy who is beyond incompetent. I'm still at a loss from an optics perspective how a Munster referee is assigned this game (I don't think he was biased mind, just awful).

Munster were very very poor in attack but still got over the line in the day which is what matters at the end of the day to them and good luck to them in SA.

Leinsters lofty ambitions means that a successful/unsuccessful season will always be defined by whether they win the Heineken Cup. The URC should be the baseline but what could be a disaster will be merely an irritant if they can pull off the win next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

if it was VDF, Ross Byrne, Ryan or Ringrose who went down after one minute and was ruled out next week, there'd be just as much anger.

Maybe, though it would be from different people. And I fundamentally believe there is a difference in accepting a risk and deliberately hamstringing yourself - risktaking is part of what makes teams great. Even if Leinster win the HEC final I do not think they will be able to lay claim to that title in the way the 2018 team did.

I personally think all of those should have been on the bench (and JGP) which would limit their minutes and limit the risk but still give you the opportunity to use them to close out the game. I've said all along the team was more or less fine, but the bench was deeply disappointing with the absolute standouts being the bench halfbacks (and especially 9).

I thought Leinster's defence was excellent which was encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The maul defense was particularly impressive, hoping that will bear fruit next weekend.

Who is likely to be the benching backrow? Deegan looked excellent, but has he done enough to displace Penny? Baird or Jenkins to partner Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭conquestscarer

Baird or Conan, I'd be almost certain that Deegan won't make it.

I guess Jenkins is in the squad next week. Do we chance Baird at blindide?

So there's going to be what, 10 personnel changes for next week? I'm assuming Moloney will start, though I find it really odd he didn't feature at all over the past two weeks.

Porter

Sheehan

Furlong

Ryan

Moloney/Jenkins/Baird

Doris

VdF

Conan

JGP

Byrne

Lowe

Henshaw

Ringrose

JOB

Keenan

It's a credit to Molony that he's playing so well that he's keeping Jenkins out of the side. I do wonder if it would be better to start the latter for the final though. Make use of his extra bulk.

The plan might be to weather the La Rochelle storm and spring Baird and Jenkins from the bench however. Would rather we start Baird at 6 however.

Can't see how Lowe will be able to play.

For all the talk of Jenkins' size, I don't think he's that effective against big packs, I would expect Molony to start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Can't see how we could possibly not start Conan though.

• Advertisement

Apparently he was fully involved in the warm up yesterday. Taking contact and sprinting. If he’s fit, he will start I’d guess.

Advertisement