Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An end to free parking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

All new offices to have no parking what so ever in the city centre. Ultimately the problem is people are living to far from work so cant cycle. Force them to. There is so many jobs based in city centre compared with accomation that it forces people to travel into the city. Judt e ery office and new build within 5km of the city centre have no parking.

I know alot of people who could easily cycle to their office job but chose to drive. Mainly because they are fat and lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It is the marginal cost of a car trip that matters. Once someone has paid all the fixed costs of having a car (road tax, insurance, etc) it makes economic sense to shun public transport completely in favour of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Exactly. We use our cars for more than just commuting to and from work. My HH needs to make 2 or 3 trips to the supermarket every week with full trollies each time. Back in the day, one could wheel the trolly home, but for obvious reasons, this has been stomped out by the supermarkets. Delivery is an option for some, but not every supermarket offers home delivery. Taxi is too expensive.

It is cheaper for me to use my EV than PT. Even if it were not, I prefer not to have to deal with the riff raff on PT. Between people who don't know what a shower is and scummers smoking a spliff upstairs, I would end up in prison on assault charges. Best I stay in the car.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sure. But if you are driving 100k a day (or 5 days a week) commuting to work thats a massive disproportionate use of the car compare to any other use you will do. It not marginal extra use. Its the majority of your use. Kids walking to school, nah might as well drive. Its human nature, we all do it. But fooling yourself that its "marginal" cost.

So being Human Nature, people have to forced out of the car where appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think the point is that if you sort out the local parking issue ie. provide a park and ride instead of fining the car owners then you will have less congestion in the city.

• Advertisement

Park and Car Pool. Seems like there's been interest in doing something alright

This 8km from Carlow where there is a train station, with a car park. But looks small in fairness.

Problems with overcrowding and capacity on the train won't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

I've seen where they park up on the Carlow Road. They are in no ones way at all. I've seen similar at other junctions around the country too. It's quite a bit busier at Drogheda though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think the drivers who car pool and park near motorway junctions are probably not likely to use trains anyway.

A lot of them seem to be heading to the same building site or maybe an industrial estate.

To make it work they have to be starting and finishing at the same time.

When someone drives that much the overall cost-per-mile (fuel burn plus amortised fixed costs) is well below the cost-per-mile of public transport.

I'll leave it to others to argue the "where appropriate" bit as I have not regularly driven to work since 2012.

You'd be taking chunks out of the value of the car, plus massively increasing cost to run from wear and tear. Then add the loss of free parking on it, add or increase a few tolls along the way....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You will never incentivise something that isn’t fit for purpose.

I'm not concerned about wear, tear and value loss on my car attributed by commuting to and from work by car. What I care about is getting to and from work as quickly and as safely possible. It costs me about €2-2.50 per day doing 70km round trip. I skip the toll which adds 4 minutes each way at most.

Taking PT more than doubles my commute time. Adding 10 hour per week onto my commute is not only a complete waste of my time...its the difference between seeing my kids before I leave and when I arrive home. Does anyone think about the clawing away of the already few precious hours per day workers spend at home with their family? Nah, obviously not.

If the employer or client chooses to supply free parking for those working on site.....as long as it's available equally, then there should be no interference from the Green wrecking ball, or those appointed by them.

Stay Free

My point was only that commuting those massive distances is not a marginal cost because you already have a car. Saving time is another completely different issue. That's a time vs money argument. Tbh if you've committed to a long commute you've already prioritize that over time at home. We've all been there and that has its own cost. Somes it has to be done.

The issue is city center congestion. There will be very few companies and sites with free parking city center. Lots of big construction sites near me, none have free parking. The streets are filled with builders cars using on street parking. When I worked in construction we worked some difficult sites in the city center. I know what's involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Having an electric car will make a large difference on the marginal cost of running a car for that trip, true. But 70km would be closer to €7 in an ICE car.

However, refusing to account for TCO when calculating your commute by car cost is a mug's game, because generally a commute is not a marginal calculation when deciding to purchase a car. For many people it's the primary use of their car, so to ignore TCO for that context is a cheat. Unless you think TCO per km is not a valid calculation, of course.

Was on a forum years ago with long distance drivers all using EVs. Made a huge difference to fuel and general servicing.

End of free parking only applies to city center. I dunno why people who aren't driving into the center are complaining about something that will never effect them.

The scenario I am trying to address is when someone already owns a car because they need to get to places where it is the only form of transport, but they need/want to make a particular trip for which public transport is available. In other words comparing a mix of driving AND public transport with just driving exclusively.

You make a valid argument on TCO and commutes being non-marginal. However, I put it to you that most car owners would buy the same car regardless of their commute. They buy for commuting, as well as social, domestic and pleasure.

In my case, I moved from a Nissan Leaf 24kWh to a Tesla Model 3 because the Leaf wouldn't get me to and from the work site in the coldest months unless I drove dangerously slow. That's an outlier case though. Before changing jobs, my work commute was marginal, covering about 10-20% of my annual mileage. If I moved to a closer site, I wouldn't change car again, so it is a cost I would be paying anyway, as is the case with most commuting in cars.

If I am fair in my calculation, I would have to include fuel and maintenance over the course of a year. In my case, electricity, wiper blades and tyres.

70km round trip = 350kmp/w = 16,000km over 46 commuting weeks.

According to other owners, the tyres seem to last at least 30,000km and wiper blades 2 years. With OEM tyres costing €800 per set, that's €400 per year. Wiper blades will last 2 years, but lets say they are changed annually to make up for wiper fluid costs...so €25.

Consumables is €425.

Electricity (which I expect to come down) is costing about 20c per kWh night rate. I use about 10kWh on average per return commute, so 50kWh per week and 2,300kWh per year. Round up to 2,500 to be conservative. 2,500 X 0.20c = €500.

That's €925 for the purpose of commuting by EV.

I don't know what it would cost commuting by bus. A quick glance shows a monthly pass is €140, so €1,680 per year. Then I would have to consider I would be spending an extra 460+ hours per year commuting. That's 3 months work @ 40 hours per week.

How much is 3 months worth to you, financially and personally? (hypothetical question)

Public Transport is just not the smart option...not for me and not for many. Attacking drivers who are provided with parking by their employer, or client is just nasty and is the main reason I won't vote green.

Stay Free

It is because the end of free parking is a euphemism for ending all parking, and the half-dozen times I have actually parked in the city centre was when I was moving in and had to park there. I had just driven from London (using parents' car) and taken the ferry, arriving in Dublin at something around 11pm on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭McGrath5

People generally underestimate the total cost of car ownership by a fair whack, here is an interesting video explaining the huge cost to the individual and society. It is German based, he calculates each car owner is subsidised by €5k per year, that figure must be higher here because of our more dispersed population.

@ 5 minutes in, the content creator says he gets around the city by cycling. Stopped watching it right there. No point watching something with that sort of bias.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

So no one should listen to anyone else. That makes a lot of sense....not.

That makes no sense.

It's like saying a 20kph limit outside schools will eventually be applied to motorways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The EV discussion is a different topic.

The question is would someone buy the same car if not commuting that distance. Because fuel costs would be a less critical factor. You might buy a cheaper smaller car if only doing local journeys. You might buy a smaller engine, petrol instead of a diesel. Electric mini with a smaller battery that consumes less resources to manufacture.

As for saving time, not having to commute would be a far greater time saver.

Everyone deciding to drive into the city at the same time is the problem. They don't all fit. Same with all work being in the same location. Why drag everyone into the city if the workers don't live there.

comparing direct costs when talking about a particular single journey is fair, yes.

e.g. if i was to try to calculate the costs of me getting to monaghan town and back tomorrow, it'd be fair with me just calculating fuel costs.

but if i was commuting to monaghan town on a daily basis, as mentioned, it'd be cheating for me to only include fuel costs, 'because i'd have a car anyway', when the commuting aspect was an undeniable reason (or part thereof) why i own a car in the first place.

though continuining in the interests of fairness, you're also paying for the public transport subventions through your taxes; i don't know what the proportion of total taxes collected go to that.

of course not. largely because those shops want you arriving by car. they don't want people thinking 'i'll have to stop shopping now because i've to get this stuff home on a bus'.

IIRC IKEA traditionally picked places which had poor public transport links to locate in; partly because of that very reason. obviously, after they move in, PT does tend to improve in the area.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd be quite sure that absolutely nobody or no group have asked for that scenario, so why bother asking about it (unless your next question is to somehow attribute this fantasy to Eamonn Ryan)?

The likes of Liffey Valley have made travel there by public transport more of an option for some but there is no demand that people must use PT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isnt that the aim though, ultimatley?

Who's aim?

I've seen, heard or read absolutely nothing that would support your belief!

Advertisement