Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasturebase

• 14-05-2023 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have only started to use pasturebase.

I have a total of 10 fields.

I managed to measure 4 fileds 3 days ago and entered them into pasture base. and put the DMD/HA as 0 for the fields i didnt get to

Yesterday I was to measure the rest of them but only could measure another 4.

Pasturebase is telling me i need to enter in cover for all the fields before it will allow me to see my wedge.

Is there anyway to bypass this or do i need to do a full measure all the time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

As far as I know you need to input data for all the fields at the one time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Yes realistically you need to enter every cover on a single day to produce a wedge. You can edit the last cover and enter your measurements to make it one cover, but 3 days apart is a bit much if you are using pasturebase seriously, if how ever you just want to enter data for derogation compliance it will tick the box.

10 paddocks is not very much,any reason it's difficult to measure all in one day?

Disjointed farm blocks can be registered as separate farms with one account under a single user.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Battery die on clippers the 1st day.

Had to bring wife to hospital 2nd day

But they will be done normally on the same day, as you said there is on only 10 paddocks

Never used pasturebase before so still trying to get the grips with all the bells and whistle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Don’t look at the bells and whistles. Not yet anyway. They’ll only put you off and/or complicate things. Just get used to the weekly grass walk and recording the figures.

I find just being in every paddock every week gives me a good feel for what’s happening, ever before I look at the days ahead, average farm cover, and growth rate in different paddocks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Well that's not quite what I meant, (hope the wife is Ok). I meant if the farm was spread out geographically making it hard to measure on a single day that it would be worth splitting up the pasturebase account in the same way.

It is best to measure in a single day but if you have to split over 2 just record it as one (but try to keep it consecutive days, eg. maybe an evening then the following morning).

The cut and weigh is the most accurate way to record, but if it's taking too long you could consider the fist method, maybe a combination of both for comparison, after a while you'll probably have a fair idea of a field just eyeballing it.

Fields you mark for silage or reseeding won't require a measurement on your weekly walk which can save some time too. Marking fields not measured as 0 is not a good idea as it will throw figures for the wedge and growth rates way out when you measure them, as they could go from 0 - 1500+ in a week making the data useless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement