Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Neely killed by chokehold on subway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

LOL. Literally stomping your feet there. Slow down. Read what others are saying. Think. Reply.

In your haste to get to your momentnof glory, you missed that the source I quoted was from he CDC and I kindly included a screen grab for your convenience. It is from NY and it clearly states that where a coroner is not medically trained (IOW, duly licensed), then a licensed deputy is to be assigned to the coroner. The coroner who may or may not be duly licensed will present their opinion on cause of death. Their opinion will not state any criminal cause in the meaning of homicide.

Want to dismiss a solid source? That just shows your argument is weak and biased. Interesting you found the Penny legal defense fund and posted the value here. I don't see how it is relevant at all. It just shows what we already know....plenty of people see through the charade and don't believe the race hate some on here seem to live off.

If you slow down, you won't have to keep coming back and editing your posts after the fact.

I'll wait for more facts or actual developments on the case before posting.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In your haste to get to your momentnof glory, you missed that the source I quoted was from he CDC and I kindly included a screen grab for your convenience. It is from NY and it clearly states that where a coroner is not medically trained (IOW, duly licensed), then a licensed deputy is to be assigned to the coroner.

“in your haste” to score these internet points did you determine that THIS coroner is NOT medically trained? Did a LICENSED DEPUTY do the autopsy? “I'll wait for more facts or actual developments on the case before posting.” my arse, keep ignoring the law already posted to you

As I stated originally you keep firing from the hip. Bring relevant facts please and actual actual developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It depends on how his lawyers argue it. If they can show a reasonable fear for either himself or others (witnesses will be key here) and that the restraint was warranted due to Nelly's action (this is where it gets subjective) then they've a good chance of beating a conviction.

This may very well be plead out as the DAs case is weak sauce but Denny may not want to spend 25 years in prison to test that theory.

The major difference between this case and the George Floyd one is that this will be argued on self defense.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

It was much of a much really. As they say "a grand jury would indite a sandwich" so it would have been for posturing more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Piskin

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is no self defence here under New York law. New York is a duty to retreat state, even if he was directly threatening which according to witnesses he wasn't, self defence has to be appropriate to the level of threat. Even if he was armed with a machine gun, there is no legal immunity blank check to kill the guy.

If his lawyers try to push for a trial on on self defence he needs to change his lawyers and take a plea deal.

I don’t think anyone in the public sphere has the full range on what the case is which includes the autopsy, video of Penny at the police station he was released from after questioning, also all on video as well as all responsive videos collected from passengers not all of which might be online, and eyewitness statements ranging the gamut.

He is charged with 2nd degree manslaughter, it’s a weak charge that doesn’t mean it’s a weak case. That charge is a better fit than murder one or something. Penny choked him out and wouldn’t let go and claimed self defense even though he put him in a hold from behind the guy, according to witness accounts (ie. Not his self defense). Penny hasn’t disputed he killed him he’s disputed it wasn’t what his intent was, even as he held on for ~45 seconds after he had already gone limp, seized up, **** his pants and bystanders warned him he was killing him. I disagree with your bare assertion of “weak tea”

• Advertisement

You are absolutely correct and I said as much already. We don't and probably never will get the full details of what happened that day but there's definitely a lot of information not in the public domain. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I still think a plea deal is the most likely outcome here.

You'd be wrong that but it's understandable as like anything else in life it's always more nuanced and complicated that black and white scenarios.

Hence the uselessness of attempts at arguing that.

Possibly, he hasn't entered a plea yet so. Will be a month or two before there is a new development on the docket now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

1.6m USD raised now for his defence.

No I am not wrong.

From your own link.

It’s important to remember that self-defense is not a get-out-of-jail-free card. You still have to prove that you met all the legal requirements for using self-defense

Sneaking up behind someone and choking them to death for 15 minutes until they are dead is an unlawful killing given the facts as we know it about what happened.

The only way self defence could be entered here is if someone killed the Ex-Marine trying to save Neely.

There is nothing in this case under the law that can justify the homicide. The response to a threat has to be proportional. Therefore no self defence can exist.

All that's a million miles away from stating there is no self defense in New York. You're arguing a case you have very superficial information on, just like the rest of us, and making very definitive statements.

There will absolutely be an element of self defense in this case and the burden of proof will be on the prosecution to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kaftan

Of course there is a self defense law in New York, New York Penal Code, Article 35.

What other possible defense could Perry use other than self defense, protecting himself or others? It's up to the prosecution to disprove the defense beyond a reasonable doubt, that's the way a defensive defense works versus an affirmative defenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Looks like some people are sick of anarcho-tyranny in New York city?

Hard to see how it plays out in court to be such an expensive case. Hopefully it's responsibly used at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

As I said earlier, even if we accept for the sake of arugment that Penny was acting in self-defence when he started the chokehold, I think it's a very very tough sell to argue that the chokehold was necessary for self-defence even after Neely had stopped moving at all.

It's one thing to shoot somebody...the whole thing would be over in an instant.

But choking somebody to death takes time, and I don't see much legitimacy to the argument that Neely was such a threat right up until the moment of his death.

It's certainly not an easy one to explain away from what we know so far. He could say he was restraining Neely and fearing for his life. The bar is what a 'reasonable' person would do in that situation. The fact that two others were involved in restraining Neely certainly adds some weight to the fact that he wasn't alone in seeing a threat. And remember, it's not what we think about the case reading snipets and watching clips, it's actually what Denny and others on the train thought at the time and the additional information authorities have.

The bar is what a 'reasonable' person would do in that situation.

multiple reasonable persons standing by told him he was killing him and that the guy was already passed out and defecating himself. QED

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

A person also said at the end of the video that he's alive and he's going to be alright and also that penny "did good" for stopping him. Other people who were present have also said similar. Suppose they are "unreasonable" eye witnesses in your view since you only want to hear what furthers your opinions/narrative.

Suppose they are "reasonable" eye witnesses in your view since you only want to hear what furthers your opinions/narrative. Am I doing this right

Someone saying later he "did good" doesn't erase the fact bystanders can be seen, on video, urging him to stop killing neely, that he was **** himself etc.

Was it multiple people or one person that could be heard on the video, I'm not sure?

Two other people also helped restrain Neely so it's a difficult one to call. I wouldn't like to be on a jury for a case like this, that's for sure.

I never said self defence didn't exist in New York.

There is no self defence here under New York law.

As in this case as I went on to explain why several times.

Unless you can tell me how one can successfully argue self defence involving a homicide given the facts of the case as we know it.

I'd me shocked if this goes to full trial anyway.

It wasn't very clear at all that you meant that. It read like you were in New York commenting on the case. There's also no duty to retreat as you stated either.

I think you may have the wrong end of the stick here though. The plaintiff can absolutely argue self defense here and it's not up to him to prove it. The burden is on the prosecution to disprove it. That's why I think it's a difficult case to get a successful prosecution.

I do agree with you that it probably won't ever get to trial though.

Again I never said self defence didn't exist in New York, what I said was there is no self defence in this case given the facts as we know it.

From the code you referenced.

2.  A  person  may  not  use deadly physical force upon another person
    under circumstances specified in subdivision one unless:
      (a) The actor reasonably believes that such other person is  using  or
    about  to  use  deadly  physical  force. Even in such case, however, the
    actor may not use deadly physical force if he or  she  knows  that  with
    complete  personal safety, to oneself and others he or she may avoid the
    necessity of so doing by retreating; except that the actor is  under  no
    duty to retreat if he or she is:
      (i) in his or her dwelling and not the initial aggressor; or
      (ii) a police officer or peace officer or a person assisting a police
    officer or a peace officer at the latter`s direction, acting pursuant to
    section 35.30; or
      (b) He or she reasonably believes that such other person is committing
    or attempting to commit a kidnapping, forcible rape,  forcible  criminal
    sexual act or robbery; or

The threshold for 'self defence' wasn't met, therefore arguing oooops I killed him in self defence doesn't exist.

There is no law that turns this unlawful homicide into a lawful one.

Unless you want to explain how under the Penal Codes of NY?

• Advertisement

The defendant can argue Martians made him do it, it will be up the the Judge to charge the jury on the facts of law.

As for Duty to Retreat, unless the defendant was in his own home or a very limited set of other scenarios, he had a duty to retreat under the law.

2.  A  person  may  not  use deadly physical force upon another person
    under circumstances specified in subdivision one unless:
      (a) The actor reasonably believes that such other person is  using  or
    about  to  use  deadly  physical  force. Even in such case, however, the
    actor may not use deadly physical force if he or  she  knows  that  with
    complete  personal safety, to oneself and others he or she may avoid the
    necessity of so doing by retreating; except that the actor is  under  no
    duty to retreat if he or she is:
      (i) in his or her dwelling and not the initial aggressor; or
      (ii) a police officer or peace officer or a person assisting a police
    officer or a peace officer at the latter`s direction, acting pursuant to
    section 35.30; or
      (b) He or she reasonably believes that such other person is committing
    or attempting to commit a kidnapping, forcible rape,  forcible  criminal
    sexual act or robbery; or

Either way sneaking up behind someone and choking them to death who was not armed and not specifically threatening anyone is not a lawful homicide anywhere, but particularly in NY under their penal codes.

Unless you can show me how it would be?

Advertisement