Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster URC Semi -Final match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don’t see how that is more salient. Its kind of irrelevant if they wanted to keep him. Although i think they did offer him a contract.

I disagree that Farrell picks for the Ireland squad based on how much guys play for their province as well. Healy played ALOT more than other 10s who got called into ireland squads/went on the EI tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I don't mind Munster fans here rubbing in their win. All part of the fun. Nor do I mind much that Munster beat a weakened Leinster yesterday.

But what I do mind (and it concerns me greatly) is how someone as evidently biased as Murphy is not only still allowed referee at a high level but is allowed referee his own affiliated club

I understand that the system is inclined to circle the wagons and wants to defend and justify its own decisions. There also seems to be a desire to rehabilitate his reputation by giving him important matches.

But surely allowing him take charge of Munster games is against the most fundamental principle of neutrality - a neutrality he has regularly and manifestly failed to exercise.

Something rotten is going on here and I would hope that the media at least will take it.

Gerry Thornley, Peter O'Reilly and otherd- I hope they haven't bought your silence too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not a direct correlation obviously, Farrell ultimately banked on Crowley over Healy.

But if Healy thought he had a shot at being the number 1 at Munster that is already a ticket to consideration for Ireland squads.

Basically, I don't think anyone stays in Ireland because of something the Irish coach says to them if they can't see a path towards being first(ish) choice for their province. I'm sure Farrell did talk to him and give him workons but its a bit hard to do that and show it if you aren't being selected much for your province, which he wasn't for a period.

I would have some sympathy for the argument that "the IRFU" let him get away if he was actually a consistent first team player for Munster who was ignored as opposed to what he actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Frank had 100 caps for Connacht v 14 for Munster and had 40+ with Leicester with whom he won the league. Mike Ross is from Cork yet is ‘Leinster’ as are the Limerick men Sean Cronin and Eoin Reddan.

No Munster fan wanted Frank as ref because of this crap if we win, and the risk of overcompensating.

The really big scandal in Irish rugby is the failure of Leinster with all their money and resources to produce high standard referees.

Post edited by cuttingtimber22 on

I think this is just something to agree to disagree on. I think Healy has played enough for Munster to think if there was any chance for Ireland he would have already been called up to an EI tour/called into a training squad/shown some indication he was on the radar. Even if he starts for Munster, it seemed unlikely he would be ahead of Crowley for Ireland, or H Byrne and Frawley.

A Munster offer to compete for a starting job (which he got as far as i know) is obviously uncompetitive with scottish caps.

Leinster can offer ‘compete for your place’ contracts to guys like frawley and H Byrne and credibly say that they are also on the ireland radar. No one else in Ireland can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Have you every objected to him reffing Munster games before?

I only ask because he has reffed munster plenty of times.

Interestingly this is his third time reffing Munster vs Leinster in the last 5 years and there never seemed to be as much furrore about it when Leinster won 2 of those games and only lost this weekend.

Nobody should be reffing their own team, other than in a Saturday morning 3rd C's friendly.

You can try to change the subject if you think it helps but there is something seriously wrong with a system that appoints refs to to their own club's matches.

I objected the time he red carded James Lowe in Thomond Park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah fair enough.

I agree to a point. I just don't like the idea of some people (and I know this isn't you) blaming the IRFU for him departing as if Munster were seriously invested in him. He was someone that was somewhat rated by Munster and not massively by Ireland and so he left. I think he's gonna end up in a similar enough position in Scotland for what its worth.

• Advertisement

Why so? Was it Because he left furlong off with only a yellow that day?

Im not changing any subject, i dont think he is a good ref. But ive always felt that no matter what the game, teams involved or the result.

Many people now have an issue purely because of this weekends result, when there are other bigger factors being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭phog

Got my first opportunity to watch the game on TV, I really don't see Frank having a direct impact on the final score, he missed stuff from both teams, could well have carded McGrath on at least one occasion and didn't but what must be of concern to Leinster is their discipline, some of the penalties they coughed up were criminal including their final ahead of the kicker from the restart, it's a schoolboy error.

Most Leinster teams would have closed that game out and Munster fans would be complaining that we didn't take the points on offer, something both teams were guilty of but more so for Munster but that could be because we got more penalties that were kickable.

Haley out in some shift and he carrying his left shoulder for a lot of the game

I blame them in the sense that i think it was only them who could convince him to stay BUT also if he isn’t rated highly enough to do that, then they have to make that judgement call.

They have enough credit in the bank to say that was prob the right call.

Haley out in some shift and he carrying his left shoulder for a lot of the game

Haley looked absolutely spent on 65 mins, but still found it to dig deep on Casey’s exit from our 22 to pressure (I think) Nick McCarthy.

Some shift from him.

The disciplinary panel didn't think so. Lowe got as short a suspension as they could give him without showing they thought it was the wrong decision and undermining Murphy.

Which refs from Leinster, Ulster and Connaught referee their own teams?

Red cards are not infrequently overturned. They agreed it was a red.

I know they circle the wagons to protect the system.

Murphy gets an extraordinarily easy ride from the system and he repeatedly fails to justify it.

Maybe he has friends of influence but I see nothing in his performances to justify it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The best ref we had worked with the RFU until they fired him a few years ago.

• Advertisement

JP was a product of the RFU not of Leinster. He went to Uni in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

in fairness, we've been complaining about Frank for years. This is just the first time that his appointment has coincided with a defeat.

This is conspiracy theory stuff, at which point, I’m out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd I remember correctly JL also admitted it was a red, not sure why 3 Welsh referees would be bothered about undermining a fresh Irish ref but maybe you have insight?

Frank regularly refs Connacht matches (remember he had a much longer career there) and has reffed the last few Munster/Leinster ones showcasing his Leinster bias

I've been saying this since that famous 2018 match in Thomond

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

South Africa didn’t miss out on Cj,he wasn’t getting anywhere near the bok team and that’s just facts.dress it up all u want but he knew that hence on his way to play in Scotland until Ireland offered more.

Do you thnk Lowe shared Murphy's sympathy for a player knocking someone out with a forearm to the chin?

Or do you suspect his standards depend on what colour jerseys they are wearing?

CJ should have been near the Bok team if he had stayed in SA. I am surprised that is in any doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,251 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd imagine it is very much in doubt. He was told to move to hooker if he wanted to progress and didn't want to.

He was an abrasive back row player, not exactly something they're short of in SA. Most pertinently, when he left SA/arrived in Munster, Stander wasn't half the player that he became with Munster. He was relatively unfit and didn't have close to the tireless work rate that he ended up having.

He arrived in November 2012 and Munster declined to add him to their European squad for the rest of the season (which is usually the bulk of the entire senior squad). The next season, he was in the European squad but wasn't making the starting team. It's hard to know as to how he would have developed had he not made the move. Munster/Irish rugby transformed him but it took time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Good example here of how Frank just point blank refused to ref Munster for the full 80. This is in the build-up to the drop goal. The game was just full of this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭El Vino

I’ve seen a major improvement in Ben Healy since he was in Scotland camp. He can only benefit by being coached by Townsend. He was always a good passer and had an amazing boot but never threatened the line much. He seems to have added a bit of that to his game. Also I don’t see why it has to be someone’s fault he left because someone didn’t make him the right offer or cap him when he didn’t deserve it. I hope we don’t live to regret it in the World Cup but other than that I wish him well.

for all the talk about Leo’s selection, there are a couple of players that if they played and were injured would have seriously impacted their chances against LR, I’d include the entire starting front row in this, probably James Ryan, Dorris, Keenan, Ringrose and after watching Saturday Ross Byrne & JGP. Munster lost 4 front line players against Glasgow, it is so easy with the improved protocols for it to happen. Leinster are better equipped than anyone to manage without these players and it came very close to working.

Advertisement