Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland's fake tan use problematic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

That's not a good response. It is basically a load of fart sniffing about the greatness of the IT and its sophistication. A brief statement about how the IT screwed up and how it intends to do better in future would have killed the story. Even spinning it as a successful spear phish would have made more sense because that would have gained some sympathy from readers.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

As a journalist, I have to do background checks on every interview and podcast I do to make sure who I am talking to are genuine. If anything dodgy appears no interview or podcast takes place. The opinion section editor has no excuses here as she has been a journalist for quite awhile and knows what needs to be done before a story is published.

Being absolutely cynical about this, the IT is trying to avoid having to censure its opinion editor. The IT started going downhill a long time ago. Something like this was inevitable.

Regards...jmcc

She should know better and should indeed be censured. It only takes at the most 20 minutes to do a background check. I do agree that the IT has been going downhill for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Did no-one notice that the 'Author''s name was almost identical to a prominent 'Latinx' female politician who is well known for pushing this kind of identity politics opinions?

• Advertisement

The IT needs to localise the damage caused by the article. At the moment, it is trying to blame processes rather than people. The alternative is that it would require action against the opinion editor and above along with a reorganisation of those processes. It is Journalism 101 but now the perception is that basic journalism doesn't matter to the IT. The statement makes it worse. The review seems to have been an attempt to kick the can down the road and let the story drop out of the news cycle. The problem is that the Sindo and RTE have picked it up. It provides fodder for the opinionators in other publications about the rise of AI and its effect on "quality" journalism. Even the token "technology" sections will get in on the act. The IT really needed to kill the story quickly but failed to do so. There's no right way out of this now only a least worst path.

Regards...jmcc

Agreed and you are also right about the story not been killed. It has grown legs and distrust in the IT. As you said simple journalism 101 should have been followed.

A few years ago I was offered the chance to so a podcast that would have paid me well but after 5 minutes research I said no. I found out that the person I was going to be interviewing was dodgy as ****, and that CNN called him and his company major crooks.

It will take the IT a long time to rebuild trust with the general public. This debacle will be taught in future journalism courses and other media publications in Ireland will be making sure this does not happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

That 'apology' reads to me like their motivation to publish the article was based on it being presented as an anti-racist piece written by an immigrant who represents a minority group.

So you see, nobody can accuse them of wrongdoing when they are trying so desperately hard to do the 'right thing'.

It's pretty funny that the editor can't see that admitting there were multiple interactions, edits, research etc engaged in before publication makes the situation look 100 times worse.

All those edits etc and no research into the author of the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Far right mobilize after innocent mistake to attack female journalists of colour.

Tomorrows IT headline probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes that seems to have been part of the joke

Also 'Acosta-Cortez' reminds me of the coffee brand Costa Coffee - so 'a Costa Cortez' is like a cheap knock-off of Ocasio-Cortez, like saying a Starbucks Cortez.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It will take the IT a long time to rebuild trust with the general public. This debacle will be taught in future journalism courses and other media publications in Ireland will be making sure this does not happen to them.

heh. you think?

as i have mentioned at least once in the thread already, i used to be a member of a discussion forum which repeatedly got fake stories into the irish media, culminating in one that got onto the front page - as their lead story - of the indo. not just an opinion piece, which would not be subject to the same fact checking required, but a supposed factual story. not a single attempt to fact check it.

is that taught in journalism courses now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Just like any bureaucracy, processes and structures (usually through the use of committees, but not in this case) are deployed to avoid pinning anyone down with personal responsibility. This happens everywhere, avoids a lot of embarassment and prevents a lot of people from losing their jobs or having to make tough decisions.

Also leftists do not want to punish their collaborators who have been loyal to leftism. That would send the wrong message to other Irish Times staff.

But if the top-level people at the IT had been looking for an excuse to get rid of their new opinion editor this would have sufficed.

Wonder if it was written before the Sindo got the interview with the person (Irish non-binary person) behind the Twitter account? The Sindo article mentions the e-mail chain.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Surely they wouldn't have published it without checking around the other publications to see if the contents of their "apology" was going to be exposed as fundamentally hollow.

Actually... nevermind...

A question for the Woke: Are AIs entitled to the same rights as people? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Your posts come across like something written by AI.

Regards...cgpt

Help, help! I'm being oppressed. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

I'm sure the IT realised the whole run of events was likely to be exposed by the person who submitted the story. I think the way it was explained in the apology makes them sound (even more) ridiculous.

It should be taught in all journalism courses. What was the story that duped the Indo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

And which articles would that be, specifically?

If nobody outside of your long dead internet forum is aware of the publication of these fake stories then they're irrelevant to the public, and obviously won't be taught in journalism schools. The only proof we have of them is you making posts vaguely alluding to them here, not even naming anything specific or providing any evidence.

The IT fake tan controversy is completely different because its national news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That berlusconi wanted to have 'the taking of the Christ' repatriated. An article was written, translated into Italian in babelfish and sent into the indo. They ran it as their lead story (wrapping on to page 2) without any checking. A couple of weeks later, the story broke about the fake articles and the owner of the site was invited on to morning Ireland. He thought it'd be light hearted, a 'how did you get away with it' sort of spot but the morning Ireland presenter basically scolded him for the entire bit.

Anyway, it's obviously barely remembered now, and was a bigger deal than this fake tan piece.

https://www.hotpress.com/opinion/the-men-behind-the-berlusconi-hoax-2679110

This AI stuff is going to cause meltdowns among "factcheckers". The next GE and the upcoming US presidential election should be fun.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just read the apology from the Irish Times.

It said that over the course of several days the newspaper engaged with the author, made edits etc.

I'd say that the IT were only salivating at the idea of putting out such a "progressive" opinion piece, with all the trappings of "lived experience" by a "LatinX ".

And look down the noses of thousands of Irish women less cultured than themselves in the process.

It was their wet dream.

• Criticism on Morning Ireland of the National Cybersecurity Centre, that they haven’t flagged up the massive threat that AI / ChatGPT poses. I would concur with this, many of the cybersecurity fraternity are almost sleepwalking whilst those on the dark side are creating massive offensive cyber-weapons.

It is being discussed at a higher Internet level than that. It is going to be used to create more realistic phishing and counterfeit sites.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

The IT over the weekend:

We need deflection. And we need it now. Who else do the Irish public love to hate as much as us?

you think the IT would or should stop producing opinion pieces as some sort of penance?

• We ain’t seen nothing yet. This mistaken publication of the fake article has harmlessly brought the issue front of stage. Somebody did us a great favour submitting it to IT.

• Advertisement

i'd be curious as to whether the purported back and forth between the IT and the 'author' also featured chatGPT. if it was the actual hoaxer responding, rather than them responding with AI generated responses, it would further weaken the AI aspect to the story.

Advertisement