Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road 96

Options
  • 11-05-2023 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭

Absolute gem of an indie game. You play as a runaway teen in a fictional country that is going through political turmoil and are trying to escape it. Simple goal, make it to Road 96 and across the border. You can walk, hitch, bus or taxi if you have the money. Each stop has a location and person/people to meet and make decisions with. Help people, steal or just walk away.

Best bit is, each trip is unique and privately generated on the location and people you meet next and after each trip, you get you to try as someone else. I'm on my second trip and just loving it.

Life Is Strange fans should definitely check it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Was looking for something a bit different to fill a few hours a notice this is free on game pass so will give it a whirl. Thanks for the tip 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm near the end of my 3rd trip and it's just amazing. Finding out a bit more about the people you meet and the political situation each go with, has me completely hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Almost through my second trip already. Really liked it. Was interesting, the second trip had a lot of cross over with the first. Met some of the same characters but just at different stages of the timeline.

It does feel like it is going somewhere and not just a procedurally generated thing. Will see how it pans out.

I

4th trip done, i think there's 6 total and then you can do ng+ keeping abilities and tapes you already found. I've had 4 very different trip endings so far and yupp, story is all coming together. Apparently, on ng+, scenarios you may have missed will be more likely to show up, very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How long is each trip generally?

• Advertisement

About an hour but you can get arrested or die during each one so that can shorten a trip. Each trip has chapters, small scenes with a specific location, character and story that's procedurally generated for your trip. Leaving a chapter, you can choose to walk, hitch hike, get taxi, bus or steal a car and they can help determine what chapter you might get next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Thanks for the info, might give it a shot. It's touch controls on gamepass/xcloud so might use it as a pick up and play on the phone.

On my 6th , and what i thought would be my last trip as it's close to election day and you get a trophy for getting to the border 6 times, when i was about 5 minutes in, just the 2nd chapter of the trip and i got a shocking death. I saw how i could have avoided it but i panicked, was hilarious, i love the characters in this. Got all tapes and abilities, just need to reach the border once more for the platinum.

The more i meet Sonia, the bigger a fan I am of her :D

Finished it tonight, loved it, got the ending i wanted as well. What a great change of pace from the shyte AAA released lately.

Advertisement