Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Were you on a waiting list or did you just see a spot free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Checked the booking system and there was a free spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

There's a couple of Fourball spots in there now for tomorrow https://visitors.brsgolf.com/mourne#/open-competitions/2/teesheet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Waiting for my tee time, pissing it out there right now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What is on today Slave ..is event we all went for not on Thursday..

• Advertisement

It was two person Stableford. I'll leave my RCD comments until after ye've played it

Quick course guide,

2 - fade across marker, 9 - dead straight and wait for bell, after that it's slightly left of all markers on the blind tee shots.

For the greens, don't go long in general and get close to the flag as I found the greens very slow for long putts (late tee time)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fungie

"get close to the flag" isn't that always the best way to play :-)

ah you know what I mean, massive greens and being 100ft away is no good for the putting stats

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sausages14

Any reports from RCD lads?

• Advertisement

Just back from Ardglass and RCD - a great trip. Ardglass is very different to most course you play , a mix of Wicklow and Old head. Highly recommend - the greens were not in great condition , but early in season - views are unreal and very different holes to anything you ever play.

We got to play in the Mourne Golf Club open - this is a club that was based on a town membership to RCD - an unusual arrangement - that I would love if it was in place on some of the famous courses on the east coast.

Royal County Down is a course that is often actually number 1 in the world. It is always in the the top 10 of any list. Since the Open was in Portrush - perhaps Portrush has stolen the show a bit in the North - but after playing RCD again and for the first time in a long time. Forget RCD at your pearl - it is a very special place and course. It is a very unusual course too - it has features like , heather, blow out bunkers , blind shots and outstanding cross bunkers and gorse. The last time I went there , I was blown away by it - but I tend to like unusual courses, with big changes of direction and elevation. I also like a blind hole. I like the imagination it requires.

This time in RCD - I realised that perhaps comparing Royal Portrush and Royal County Down is a somewhat pointless exercise - it reminds me of the time in Dead Poets Society - when Robyn Williams got his students to rip out the introduction of their poetry book as it tried to plot a poem quality on an X and Y axis.

Around every blind corner there is an 8 waiting - it is a terrifying course - as a bad drive is a lost ball - it actually wasn't at its hardest as it is mid summer - but the heather that is in the long grass and around the bunkers there - is an unusual and deadly golf form.

I felt very relaxed this time up there - as it was entry by a side gate - metaphorically and physically from Mourne. I never really feel comfortable in the posh clubs - I know the hang ups that people have are mostly internal - but RCD has a particularly bad reputation , for being above others. A golf club like RCD - was formed to separate the rulers from the average - it comes from a different time and society - and it doesn't like to change the foundations or go with the fads of a modern time.

But - golf has changed - it has shown it needs to modernise and be a bit more open and available to all. It has changed a bit. Even the R&A have demanded it happens.

Anyway - back to the course - it is just a roller-coaster ride - edge of seat - up and down experience. The most noticeable thing is the quality and finish on every single detail - be it the markers - the 100 % flat tee boxes - the walkways - the sand - tee box markers - the distance markers - the first cut - fairway lines and fairway center lines - the greens are a full topic in themselves.

I've played a good few course at this stage - but it definitely is the best kept course I've ever seen.

I played a good round - had 1 blow up - but besides that somehow managed to get a small cut on the day - that is decent golf up there - also got around with 1 ball. Breaking 80 up there would be a great round up there - but the rain mid round kind of stole that from me.

I think it is about 10 years since my first visit there - and this was my 3rd. I had kind of moved on from RCD (price and been there done that) - but thanks to Mourne Golf Club - I was given great access to an incredible place.

I always knew that a great Links course calls you back and you are never sick of it and you never master it. As I left with a few of the Boards lads - I knew I had been on a special trip - and a rediscovery of a place I love - but find it hard to admit at times.

So - I'm not sure you can always put a course on an X and Y axis - it can be how it catches you and you catch it at a certain time. Life has ups and downs and when you love Links golf as much as we do here - you and her, always comes back to each other - and a great course always gives you more than you can give her.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

I played it on the Tuesday and if I played it without all the prehype of it's place as world number one then I would have been more impressed.

The practice green was mad, some severe hills and lightening quick which was fearful but the course greens were surprisingly flat and I though quite slow (teed off at 16:50) so nothing like the practice green, cheeky beggars.

The slow greens cost me on the opening stretch as I found myself way too far from the flag to two putt, the bunkers are not rivitted so are all grass greenside and you do not want to be in them, I found myself in two greenside bunkers in footprints which cost me two scratches as they were impossible lies, the groups ahead also chunked the fairways and left greens with unrepaired pitchmarks.

We took 2hr40m for the front nine and there was often groups waiting in tee boxes, this resulted in cold tee shots but I actually wasn't bothered, I missed two fairways and knocked down one drive so v happy off the tee, playing blind was a challenge though and my partners lost a lot off the tee with indecision tee shots.

Accepting the blind shots and slow greens the front 9 is perfect golf and as a course IMHO the back 9 suffers in comparision as there were a few relative bland holes thrown in, 10, 18 for example.

Without thinking about it I would put Portrush and Lahinch ahead of it as a course and the greens in Ballyliffin or Enniscrone as better, could even stretch to better 9s in Tralee or Ballybunion.

To me it was a letdown compared to the hype, I may play it again but I'd rather go back to Portrush if given the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Think that’s a pretty fair summary Slave. The bunkers are proper hazards (I’m still trying to get out of one on the 10th, some 4 years later) and on such a tough trek, perhaps unnecessarily so.

I always find it interesting that while the course ranking narratives for e.g Portstewart tend to highlight a strong nine and a weak nine, nobody ever seems to point this out about an RCD back 9 in which the 13th is the only hole of note (though I do enjoy 11 and 12 too).

Given the choice of Portrush or RCD go a treat, I’d be picking Portrush. Given the choice of playing only one of them forever, I wouldn’t have to blink…. Portrush is a much more playable and enjoyable trek.

——

I’m for Rosses Point, Enniscrone and Strandhill the coming weekend. It’s a tough old life.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

I played on Thursday in the stroke comp, only 3 balls that day which helped with the speed of play, only waiting was on the 9th tee (10mins) waiting for the bell and also on the last par 3 14th about 5 mins, the round was about 4hrs 20/25

im off 7.3 at minute, got 9 strokes off a slope of 136. White tees just over 6900 yards

played real well on front 9, had a triple bogey on the 4th(Par 3) but was only 4 over gross for the 9, so +1 for other 8 was great going

back 9, doubled 10 and tripled 11 after getting greedy after only bad drive of day, however was only two over for last 7 holes to finish with 82 gross overall, v happy with that.

in contrast we all thought the practice green was a good bit slower than the actual greens…

also thought the greens were immaculate, they were a little slower than last year when they were absolutely lightening, a lot of rain this season compared to last possibly…

we played last year in the Mourne Open week too and had played it 3 times before that so no real issue with the blind holes, they are not that bad anyway…

i think RCD is definitely the best in Ireland at present, it’s general conditioning is just pure quality throughout that few others can match, perhaps not surprising when you consider the budget they have to spend on it.

The last few years I’ve played a lot of our top links, the likes of Enniscrone, Baltray, Ballyliffen, The Island , Co Sligo are all fantastic but definitely just that wee bit below in my opinion, my dads from the North Coast so was brought up on Portstewart and Portrush, Portstewart is rightly edging up towards the Top 10-15 bracket, they have recently brought on board the European Tour to help do some upgrades on some back 9 holes which will enhance it even further, Portrush at present is still below RCD for me, I actually would have the European as my next best, I thought it it was amazing and can’t wait to go again.

i haven’t done Kerry yet so that’s obviously a big hole in my analysis, looking forward to getting down there in the next few years hopefully.

Played on Thursday too and whilst strokes around RCD is a form of torture...the 3 balls made it a dream.

Would have to agree with Redhill on course conditions..I've played a good few Links in the last 2 years and the condition of RCD was a league ahead..Many links courses scarify the green and some of them don't really recover most of the season ..but they were perfect putting surfaces ..tee boxes etc..some fairways had pole forked areas ..but that was it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Funny how subjective golf is, RCD is fab for conditioning but it would barely make my Irish top ten, 17 and 18 let it for me

The roll on the greens was so good and pure you knew if you missed a putt no matter what length, then it was down to you, the greens are just that good

I too had pushed it out of my Top 5 after playing so many other good courses in recent years, before last year I hadn’t played it since 2012 and you’re defo influenced by more recent memories…

its never said about RCD but similar to some courses (everyone will say Portstewart) the back 9 isn’t as good or memorable as the front. The tee shots and views/vistas of holes 2 and 3, the 4th when you turn back and see the Mournes and the town never mind the 220 yards into the wind Par 3, the next Par 3 seventh, short but as tough a green as you’ll ever see and the 9th which is much talked about, back 9 doesn’t compete.

Meant to also say, the holes were 100% line and weight required, nothing that edges the hole dropped for any of our fourball, ball just sailed by with no hope of "dropping in". That was tough but no problem with it.

• Advertisement

True , but with RCD it is consistently in top 10 and often top 5 or even 1 ..in numerous global lists ..never mind Ireland.

So if you get a significant body of data and put it together, the aspect of individual subjectivity can be reduced.

Yes,when you go with a small group of people to a top course ..a person will totally suprise you and go ..didn't like it.

Issues like , weather , how you played , pace , people you were with can significantly influence your experience.

A big part of the RCD experience is it is way too hard ..even this will influence your day ..if you go there and are wild off the tee ..you won't have a fun day ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I found that with Ballyliffin, didn't like it at all and thought it was miles away from Baltray but Baltray is very playable where as Ballyliffin I feel you need course knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Thought RCD was unreal. Conditioning superb, greens were true ( I found fast ,) yet receptive enough to stop a full hit shot.

Found had to think on every shot, tee, going for green or even laying up, plenty of trouble to avoid.

Plenty of space to miss it off tee too, and can get lucky or unlucky with lies, which is fine for links.

I'll definitely be looking to go back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭swededmonkey

I'm heading to Donegal in a couple of weeks for an annual week away in Rossnowlagh. I've agreed with the mrs (it's her break away too 😅) to get away for 2 games maybe 3. Looking around there seems to be plenty of options. Murvagh is closest to me, 15 minute drive so that's nailed on for their mid-week open. Other options are:

Enniscrone

Strandhill

Rosses Point (Texas Scramble)

Portnoo (played it last year and loved it)

Portsalon

What 2 from the other choices would people be inclined to pick?

I haven't included the Rosapenna courses as it's a 4 hour round trip and discounted Bundoran simply because I don't like it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Enniscrone is approx a 3 hour round trip for you, not sure if that rules it out? It would be my pick though. Their Thursday opens should be up and running by then, if not already. I think the Opens were €45 last year but would expect them to be 55-60 this year.

Strandhill and Rosses are on the right side of Sligo for you and within an hour each way. That extra hour might make a difference if trying to keep everyone happy. Strandhill Opens are on Fridays, €40. Rosses' Opens aren't as regular iirc.

Have you considered Cruit Island? I haven't played it yet but it's on the list for my next Donegal visit. Could be a handy 9 holes for Day 3.

It's International Members Week in Carne this week! I think they did very well from selling international membership during Covid and they've put that money to good use recently.

A few friends were down there last week and I was also talking to a few members recently... You get the impression that it's at the early stages of really hitting the big time. The Americans seem to be coming in big numbers now and it'll probably snowball.

There was talk of a potential new 9 holes and guesthouses on site.

It would be great to see it really successful after years and years operating on a relative shoestring. Just hope it isn't too successful / it can retain its charm.

It's so isolated though, nothing (golf wise) anywhere near it and hard to stomach the new green fees when I got out and played the 27holes a few times for like €30-€40

I don't think the Americans mind the isolation as much as we do. And price isn't really an issue for them. When I was talking about growth, it was mainly in the golf tourist market.

It is very isolated, but it's well within tolerance if packaged together with Rosses' and Enniscrone, with Ballina or Sligo as a base, for example.

There's a definite sense that the place is about to really skyrocket in terms of overseas visitors. Members in Belmullet starting to caddy during the summer etc. It's all very new and exciting down there for them.

Rosses' Point was always on the map moreso than the other two, but I think all 3 will will become a hub and will be unrecognisable in terms of the amount of overseas visitors they have in 5-10 years time.

I'm delighted in a sense but it's going to cost us locals a fair bit more to be playing these courses.

• Advertisement

I've never got Rosses stature, I do understand the history there but as a course I just don't get it, Enniscrone has a few bland holes mid-front 9 but is a far far superior track IMHO, Enniscrone also have a dusk green fee for after 5 which I can just about manage to take advantage of after work for a week or so

Advertisement