Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

No there arent. They'd be talking about a statement made by someone in the public domain. Now i agree though. The Sunday game isnt the place to be talking about it. But legal reasons is bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Sinéad McGarry

@Sineadmcgar

1) No doubt a tough & emotive piece for @JoeBrolly1993 to write. I'm concerned by his view that it is harmful for children when women share their stories of domestic violence in a public sphere, as a/c Brolly 'there is no protecting them now.'

m.independent.ie

Joe Brolly: Why Rory Gallagher had to step down

I am thinking of three small children. Three small children with their Derry kits folded by their bedsides, wondering why they can’t go to the Ulster final...10:39 AM · May 14, 2023

2) This implies that public knowledge/discussion of domestic violence is more harmful to children than the harm of secrecy around it. This is a culture which protects perpetrators, which implies there is/ should be shame & fear when we talk about what happens behind closed doors.

3) This was the same culture which promoted secrecy & silence around suicide & childhood sexual abuse in Ireland. Domestic violence is the final taboo. A hidden, private family matter. Shameful. Yet, survivors of childhood domestic violence regularly speak of the harm of secrecy.

4) Northern Ireland holds the joint highest rate of female homicide due to domestic violence in Europe, 1 in 6 women in relationships report domestic violence (DV) in the South. Kids have Stay Safe programmes re sexual abuse, where is the support to help them speak up about DV?

5) Many in & outside of the GAA community will be asked to comment. I feel for them but saying 'I don't know what to think, I need to listen & learn' & suggesting domestic violence experts are best placed to comment & write on this would be a good place to start.

6) Domestic violence (DV) happens to kids, not just their mothers. It destroys family life. The harm is caused by DV, not by speaking out on it. Brolly suggests speaking out increases harm - a terrible message to thousands of women & kids living in homes with DV on this island.

7) Nicola simply shared her story, with support from family & witnesses. Mothers can share their stories of domestic violence in a public sphere, safe in the knowledge that harm to children is experienced through growing up in a home with domestic violence, not discussion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭combat14

there were all kinds of witnesses came forward during the depp vs heard trial last year and we all still know the end result

there has to be a very good reason for the bar being "so high" for cases to go to court - to protect all concerned and not waste valuable state resources

surely this witness who has come forward could have done so at any stage over the last 24 years or at the very least during the january 2022 and September 2022 investigations which were closed

if it is only a new witness the relevant authorities will deal with the matter in due course with all that may or may not bring.. we can't afford as a society or state to accept trial by social media or we will be no better than the klu klux klan back in the good old days of the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What's to discuss about the statement?

Legal reasons is far from bollix.

Yes it is. Its nonsense. We can talk about it here. Independent.ie can talk about as can multiple other outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Again, what's to talk about that's not been addressed elsewhere without leaving yourself open to legal action?

Rory not missing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,148 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

A lot better than the other 3 provincial finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

When I first saw the name 'Rory Gallagher' trending in the middle of the week, I thought it was something like an unknown Rory Gallagher song surfacing after all these years.

Instead it's some GAA head I've never even heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

• Advertisement

Outside of GAA world had anyone ever heard of this man?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭PressRun

It's a story within GAA circles and this is a GAA thread, so why does it matter if no one else has heard of him?

Because it now seems to be a national news story. So it appears it is no longer just a GAA story, but one of alleged toxic masculinity.

My own view. It's a private matter between individuals, no need for the rest of society to be involved.

The GAA is a national cross border organisation with huge membership and presence. It's become national for that reason and the figure involved is a high profile member of the organisation. Also how the story became public. If it was a high profile rugby, soccer manager, someone well know in athletics, horse racing the story would go national too.

Your problem seems to be how dare something GAA related enter my news feed.

As for a private matter between individuals. Society and laws have to protect the vulnerable. Ah shur that murder was a private matter between individuals, we'll leave it at that would be the outcome of your thinking.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My own view. It's a private matter between individuals, no need for the rest of society to be involved.

Your view is wrong then and is part of the problem which enables abusive behaviour.

Gallagher has been deeply involved in GAA circles both as a player for club and county teams and also within the management of teams. He is in a position that many would see as a form of authority and role model.

Because of his position, if he is involved in physical and emotional abuse then it is not a private matter between individuals.

That being said, any abuser gets away with their abuse because the victim is fearful but also because those who are aware of it are reluctant to get involved. If you knew your sister or daughter ended up in hospital because of their boyfriend or husband, would you still have the same "ah, sure it's none of my business" attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Appropriate that McFaul scored the penalty in the Ulster final today. Reflects the values of Rory Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If all her allegations are true then he himself has been a danger to his own children; by beating her up when pregnant and also the children saw her in bed covered in blood.

NI children services should investigate both those allegations.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If her claims are true then he is unfit Father having beat up his pregnant wife and created a situation where his children witnessed their mother covered in blood.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I saw them discussing this on Ireland AM this morning, and they were being very sensitive to the topic, whilst also trying not to cast aspersions.

(Though you could see Muireann O'Connell chomping at the bit that she wanted to say something 'biased' to say the least, but considering her non presence on twitter for several months, I imagine someone higher up at VM told her to 'reign it in').

I think it's very interesting to see how this is being dealt with. If any players (be they former teammates, or current players on the Derry team) have spoken out in defense of him, it's not been reported. The All-Ireland Derry Team were planning to boycott the half-time celebrations on Sunday if he hadn't stepped down, notably Brolly spoke up to say that he should step down, for the protection of his three children.

The allegations are very, very serious, and if they are a work of fiction, they should be investigated and called out as such. And Gallagher should receive an apology. But if they are genuine, it's the children who are going to suffer the most.

More than likely they won't be allowed stay with their father, and probably be allowed stay with their mother if she's still abusing alcohol. Then the only option will be foster care. Being put through the system can be jarring.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The allegations are very, very serious, and if they are a work of fiction, they should be investigated and called out as such. And Gallagher should receive an apology. But if they are genuine, it's the children who are going to suffer the most.

More than likely they won't be allowed stay with their father, and probably be allowed stay with their mother if she's still abusing alcohol. Then the only option will be foster care. Being put through the system can be jarring.

So are you suggesting that if the allegations prove true and they are removed from his care, that this is wrong? If he is unable to control his temper and actions and restorts to physical and emotional abuse then he should not be anywhere near his kids. If other cases of domestic abuse are looked at, the abuser often ohysically abuses their kids.

Gallagher is also involved in coaching his kids teams according to his employers bio on him. If he is prone to physically abusing people, are those kids safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Ugh, apologies, I made a typo and missed a word in there, 'and probably won't be allowed stay with their mother if she's still abusing alcohol' was what I meant to say. And no, I don't think they should be allowed stay with either parent ' if a)the allegations of abuse by him prove true, and b) the allegations of her abusing alcohol prove true, too.

I think the care system would be the safest bet. If he's physically violent towards children, then that should be investigated. I know of one incident, from my childhood, where a GAA football coach punched a ten or eleven year old child in the eye due to an off the ball incident. The internet, and social media, weren't what they are now. But if they had, he most definitely would have faced a LOT of trouble.

If such incidents have occurred, I'm sure many parent's would have spoken up. And if those incidents were silenced, then the organisations should hang their heads in shame. But as we have seen, that rarely happens. (The coach I referenced above-he wasn't fired. Was coaching for many years after that incident until his work duties meant he was too busy.)

I would imagine he’s strategic about who he abuses

The social media commentary around this has been nothing short of appalling. What happened to letting authorities do their work which they should absolutely do now with full vigour given the seriousness of the allegations?

Me and a sibling have been in this situation being accused as abusers by a very physically dangerous alcoholic relation for throwing out alcohol after years of trying to reason. The same person had attacked neighbours previously.

Thankfully I don't have a high profile but certainly we both still feel the trauma and the shame of how publically it played out locally.

People have lost their minds online with the finger pointing with undue process.

I've found the week triggering personally just from the social media pitchforks. I absolutely sympathise with domestic abuse victims but the systems need to be allowed do their work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He didn't deny it in his statement. It was released through his solicitors.

I believe her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I’m sure one the the parents family would step in if it came to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

DERRY GAA say they have no record of receiving any email in respect of the allegations against senior football manager Rory Gallagher.

Why didn't they keep their mouths shut? Surely, the father has a copy? Why dig the hole?

Advertisement