Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Obviously there is a Nintendogs coming out for Switch ... Nintendo want you to pay 50 quid for a different game so that you can pat the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

So my biggest joy with TOTK is the lack of handholding. Now obviously parts are strategically placed early on but the more you get into it the less it occurs.

No certain colours to show exactly where to go or no protagonist or helper saying "what if I do this" 2 seconds after walking into a room. It's an absolute joy to have that level of creativity and freedom.

Post edited by recyclops on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,797 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

But does he say "hhmm a stick, yeah I could use that... better pick it up .. mmm"?

Reminds me, I should instead Days Gone again for another spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Going through similar playing BOTW for the first time. I cleared out a small enemy camp with a campfire. They had a cooking pot and an unlit torch on the ground. I knew cooking was in the game going by the item descriptions, so equipped the torch and held it next to the fire, then brought it over to the pot to light it which it did. Then held a few different items in my hands and dropped them into the pot. Boom, hearty grilled beef. No prompts or lengthy tutorial on how to do, was just able to do it myself.

Now, that said, the inventory system and controls to do it is a pain in the hole until you get used to it and I was definitely unsure that just dropping the items into the pot would work (I expected maybe a Cook button prompt when standing in front of the lit pot which would then bring me directly to the food inventory screen where I could just pick ingredients).

So far, it's similar to my opinion on the weapon degradation. I don't mind weapons breaking. It's fine. But the inventory and controls to switch weapons, drop weapons etc just feels clunky at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Weapon Degradation seems to be a non issue in this game. At the start of BOTW it was fun scavenging for bits to take on enemies but after the tutorial part it was a non issue. In this one all the weapons are shite so you really have to make your own weapons and there are plenty about. You do need a nice selection of weapon types and it's up to you to make sure you've enough axes and blunt weapons for utility work.

Still would be nice to find that fecker that upgrades inventory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So it's the same as every other game, just no map markers? Go to A, collect/do B, repeat?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,396 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn’t say it’s a non-issue - it’s still a central mechanic, and even fused weapons wear down fast. Inventory space is still very limited, even with a few upgrades. But the difference this time is that there are now mechanics explicitly designed to encourage you to mix and match the weapons, terrain and objects you find lying around each space.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 29,797 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I know this isn't the place for it but anyone else goddamn sick of the ads on the mobile site? It's ridiculous.

Anyway, think I'm gonna have to get kid a switch for Christmas along with the green elf game.

That's a bit reductive in fairness. I would say one of the key elements I've found is that the game doesn't really force you to certain locations for long tutorials on stuff that's fairly simple. Instead, you learn through gameplay and just experimenting.

Another example similar to the above I mentioned about cooking is I travelled to a shrine (not because there was a flashing map marker or NPCs telling me to go to it, I just saw it in the distance and went to it). There was a thorny overgrowth around the entrance which meant I couldn't enter it. I wandered around a little, and there was an enemy camp nearby. I cleared them out, and found a torch sitting beside a tree. I already had a torch in my inventory, but it gave me the idea to light the torch, bring it to the shrine, and I was able to set the overgrowth on fire to burn and clear it.

In many open world games, I'd have been directed to the shrine and probably reached a point where I couldn't advance the game further until I'd gone to it. There'd be an NPC there to explain that the overgrowth is weak to fire, there should be a torch nearby, light the torch by holding it in your weapon hand then press the attack button etc.

Obviously, Zelda BOTW didn't invent the concept of "trial and error", but a lot of open world games, as big a fan of them as I am, build so many systems on top of systems that are all meant to be used in very specific ways and experienced in the right order that they have little choice but to try and guide you through it all or use enemy difficulty to keep you away from areas until you're ready for them. BOTW, especially after the first four shrines where you get the bulk of your abilities, just feels a lot more "Here's the world, go do stuff!". Yes there are main story missions saying to go here, meet this person etc, but you feel far less railroaded into doing that in order to progress your character, than just wandering around trying stuff.

Last night I was gliding off a cliff, noticed a circle of stones on the ground with a stone missing so flew over to it to see why it was there. Found a stone nearby, carried it over and filled the gap in the circle. Got a reward. No map marker or beam of light or anything to tell me it was there. Just found a thing, did a thing, got a thing.

• Advertisement

Think Boards are already aware of the ads, it's an error by the ad providers that they're trying to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

A few hours in and I’m pretty much blown away. Firstly, it’s a stunning looking game, the fact that it runs so well on such old hardware is amazing. The views from the sky islands can be phenomenal at times.

The Sky islands themselves are a great addition and kind of give me a wind waker exploration vibe.

On the ground, it’s nice to see early in that the world seems more fleshed out. More characters more quests. It has that thing that truly great open worlds have, distraction. There’s already been multiple instances of me going in a direction towards a marker, finding something else on the way and doing something completely different for ages. And none of it was due to npcs repeatedly telling me about things.

Weapon deg can be an issue but a smaller one than BotW - there are more high durability weapons around, and fused weapons seem to last a decent amount.

Just a few minor issues for me, item and weapon management are still a bit fiddly, as fusing can be(especially with enemies nearby). Cooking is still annoying too. The recipe cards are a nice touch but I wish they went one step further on it, I think once a recipe has been discovered you should see on that menu if you have the ingredients to make it or are missing anything, and if you can make it, pressing the card should automatically chuck the ingredients in the pot.

Also as wonderful as the sky islands can be I’m not sure how motivated I’ll be for all that cave exploring, but I could be completely wrong on that.

All in all I can already tell that it’s going up be the game that takes up virtually all of my gaming time this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

Like Penn says is where it really excels is in the whole natural way of thinking.

As you explore you see something and say "I should be able to do so and so as in real life that would happen" 9 times out of 10 what your think should happen normally does.

There are tutorials but they don't bog you down its pretty much here's a device off you pop, explore.

The biggest thing for me is no detective mode, witcher sense or any game equivalent, these are the absolute scourge of open worlds. You want the world to be explore able not one giant mess of strategicially placed yellow markers to climb show where to climb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,396 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I will say: Tears of the Kingdom has by far the coolest ‘tall towers that unveil map segments’ in the entire history of open world video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

I really get that vibe from the shrines this time too. A few I’ve done look like they have several ways to complete the objective but you’re not pushed into any particular one.

A couple I’ve completed with what I felt were fairly ham-fisted solutions but hey, it got the job done!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I like to think of the zelda games as orienteering games where other open world games it's just collect the little tokens in the map. In Zelda you set your own waypoints and find your own way there. What often happens is you see something interesting on the way and end up exploring it and it's always rewarding. And then expect to be sidetracked constantly as you make your way there.

Yeah climbing a tower to unlock a new section of the map gives you.... a new section of the map. No hundred icons or question marks or points of interest, just the topography of that section of the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm sky diving and trying to spot shrines on the way down or stables have ended up in the Farron jungle and found a 40+ knights claymore then got eaten by a bear loving the just go out and explore aspect so far but hate the how easy it is to misjudge the drop and splat aspec. 😃

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In many open world games, I'd have been directed to the shrine and probably reached a point where I couldn't advance the game further until I'd gone to it. There'd be an NPC there to explain that the overgrowth is weak to fire, there should be a torch nearby, light the torch by holding it in your weapon hand then press the attack button etc.

All that said, I'd love to know how relatively non-technical or "casual" gamers might get on with this kind of organic thinking. It's not entirely without reason the AAA space became so beset by hand-holding and puzzles that basically gave you the answer; fair to say most people posting here are seasoned gamers - we generally "get" the kind of environmental thinking that a game like this might ask of us. I had a similar moment at the start where I realised I had to add ballast to my first powered boat ... but would the next gamer over realise this, or just get frustrated at How Do I Do Boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Deleting cookies and refusing when site is reloaded has definitely limited the intrusive ads for me FWIW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Use Brave Browser on mobile.

It's not overly complicated in BOTW anyway. Even just shooting the thorns with a fire arrow or bomb arrow would have done it, and you're already taught in the game that wood/grass/bushes burn when exposed to fire. It's a Switch game, so it's obviously as geared towards kids/casuals, and it allows trial and error repeatedly so easy without much punishment.

Compared to some of the stuff you can do in Elden Ring which even after seeing someone do it, googling how to do it, doing it, and then completing it.... I still don't understand it or how someone figured it out.

The shrines in TotK (and BotW before that) are a brilliant example of making tutorials out of puzzles. They usually give you a bunch of specific items and a goal to achieve, but generally let you figure out the specifics on your own (outside of a few more straightforward combat tutorials). They’re often ingenious puzzles in their own right, but also teach you something you can then take outside to the rest of the game world.

There was one shield-fusing specific shrine I stumbled upon. The puzzles amounted to ‘hey, there’s a *cool item* lying here, what would happen if you attached that to your shield?’ A lovely little example of learning new possibilities for the game within the confines of a few puzzle rooms - no tutorial prompts needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So far the shrines in Tears are miles better than Botw imo, I loved the hot air balloon one. And I agree - the map towers are fantastic (partly because you don't have to climb the bloody things)!

I'm only a short way in but I'm really liking the lack so far of shrines which were just combat against the same enemy. Got to a bit of a headscratcher yesterday and found out it was trying to teach me how to attach things to wheels to make stuff like paddles. Also the Korok guy beside the glider and the rocket just left beside it. There was only ever one way I was going to try solving that puzzle.

Me: feeling creative because I added a wheel with a board to make a paddle boat.

The internet: look at my motherfucking mech bitches!

• Administrators Posts: 53,728 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nah it's unlike other games in that there is pretty much no hints at all as to what to do.

The main story is pretty much 1 quest, with it's 4 map markers stays active throughout the game. It doesn't tell you what to do, or how to get to the markers. The marker could be in an area that's really hot or really cold, and you need special armour to survive, but the game doesn't tell you this, nor does it tell you where to get the armour. Maybe you can buy it somewhere, but you won't know where, or maybe you have to find it.

You might walk toward a certain marker but then come across a cliff that you can't currently climb because you haven't enough stamina. Up to you to figure out how to get more.

The game is just one big puzzle, even getting to places is a puzzle.

I would never be able to complete this without Google.

Not sure if it's in the first game but getting to the Zorah quest was a quest in itself. It was a real puzzle to get through because of the constant rain and you couldn't rely on climbing at all. The Mount Doom climb to get to the Goron's is one off my favourite organic game experiences ever. It was such a trial, preparing first by hunting lizards to make enough heat resistant potions and then slowly making my way up and finally getting some heat resistant armour. That felt like a treacherous climb. Hoping this game delivers there as well. Currently taking on a lot of new minibosses with 4 hearts and paper thin armour in the starting area and it's not working out too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm hoping I don't need Google for this game. Just looked up one thing for BOTW. But the construction aspect of this game ....looks like there will be serious head scratching involved.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,728 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I had to google where to get the Zorah armour in BOTW, IIRC it was hidden in chests or at least part of it was.

Advertisement