Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The implications of the Pepper Finance (vulture fund mortgages) Court Ruling.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Of course the borrower could buy the bundle of loans and then, given their altruistic nature, write off the debt for everyone (or more likely, chase what they're owed to try and make some money off their outlay).

All these funds and problems come down to the lack of repossession in Ireland, if this were functioning properly, on both sides, keys would be handed back and someone else would buy and live in the property very quickly, it would also cause house prices to drop due to more supply and houses being a riskier asset for the bank (loan offers are less on riskier assets).

If we don't want repossessions than house prices will remain high as the risk taken on by the buyer is very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

God that's horrifying mate. I feel for your situation.

Every day I'm that little bit closer to leaving these shores for good. Luckily I have options but Ireland is where I want to be most.

Reading stories like this though is just harrowing. As a prospective buyer, I'm not getting caught in the buying hype as I wouldn't be too comfortable at the minute the way the whole market is being operated around housing. It's certainly not for the benefit of our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Surely the point of making repossession easier would be to reduce the bank's risk? The bank is comforted by knowing that, if the need arises, it can enforce its security quickly and cheaply. Therefore banks would be more ready to lend, not less ready.

It's the borrowers who would carry increased risk in this scenario. Logically, they should respond by borrowing less, but that depends on a dispassionate assessment of the risk.

It reduces the banks risk but also the margin they charge (interest rates, Ireland has some of the higher in the EU) as well as make it more palatable for other banks to enter the market.

• Advertisement

Sure. But all of this means that banks will be willing to advance more rather than less. While borrowers should, in theory, be more reluctant to borrow because of the higher risk they carry, I think in practice what limits borrowers is not the fear that they can't repay but the unwillingness of the bank to lend more that a certain amount. If banks are willing to lend more borrowers will borrow more and defaults will increase, not reduce. (And of course prices will rise, not fall.)

It works both ways, the Central Bank guidelines remain in place, so borrowing "in theory" doesn't really change, however the risk to the bank is less so the interest charged is also decreased. Right now our costs are based on the bank effectively being without collateral to back up the loan (as it would take many years and high legal costs to get the asset back if the loan stops performing). We've essentially created a steep cost of entry to "owning" that makes the market less liquid so housing stock gets used very inefficiently.

It's not sustainable but there's also no one really looking to fix it (because someone losing a house, even if someone else gets to use it instead, is seen as a failure by politicians). It also encourages bad behavior (not paying loans knowing the time to repossess is very long).

I'd presume those with a "performing" loan held by pepper would also be free to re-mortgage with another provider with better interest rates and fixed rate offerings.

The fact that repossession is so difficult doesn't mean that the mortgage gives the bank no security - if it did, banks wouldn't lend on mortgage, or wouldn't accept mortgages as security. The lender is normally incentivised to repay the loan not mainly out of fear of dispossession but simply because he wants to acquire the equity in the house and wants eventually to be able to sell it. Thus the problem really only becomes acute where you have a large number of lenders who are not only in negative equity but expect never to return to positive equity. And I cautiously suggest that our attitude to that issue should mainly focus on regulating the market so that that situation doesn't arise, rather than protecting the interest of the banks when it does.

The US homeloans market not only features relatively rapid repossession, but also fixed-rate mortgages for the full term of the loan and limited-recourse mortgages under which the borrower's obligation is fully discharged by repossession - he is not liable for any shortfall. It seems to me that importing the one aspect of the US model which favours the banks but not balancing it with those aspects which favour the borrowers is . . . unbalanced? Unfair to borrowers? At any rate, it's not something I'd rush into.

I'd definitely favour moving to a similar model to the UK or Europe when it comes to housing and homeloans (most people who move here can't believe the length of time it takes for the transactions to occur, digitisation will help but it's a real gravy train for solicitors) but we're complaining about interest rates being high here which is primarily down to the extra risks banks take (due to lack of repossessions) in comparison to other European countries. We've seen numerous banks pull out of the market due to non-performing loans as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

FYP

The lenderborrower is normally incentivised to repay the loan not mainly out of fear of dispossession but simply because he wants to acquire the equity in the house and wants eventually to be able to sell it. Thus the problem really only becomes acute where you have a large number of lendersborrowers who are not only in negative equity but expect never to return to positive equity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Thus the problem really only becomes acute where you have a large number of lenders who are not only in negative equity but expect never to return to positive equity. And I cautiously suggest that our attitude to that issue should mainly focus on regulating the market so that that situation doesn't arise, rather than protecting the interest of the banks when it does.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but are you saying we should focus on regulation so that people never enter negative equity? The only solutions to the current housing issue are going to put a lot of people in negative equity. I'm also not really sure why we should have regulations covering this anyway, it seems a far too intrusive impact on the market.

There are two issues at play ultimately, one is high interest rates which is absolutely impacted by inability to repossess collateral, and the other is general high pricing which is more a function of supply issues. A more efficient market would help around the margins, but fundamentally that can only be fixed by significantly more building (and done to a high enough level it will leave many, many people in negative equity)

Dontmindme: Thank you! I'm embarrassed.

Podge: Lots of people being in negative equity is bad from every point of view, and we should try to structure the housing market so that the risk of it happening is reduced. I wouldn't frame this as trying to ensure that "people never enter negative equity" as this might suggest — I'm sure this wasn't your intention — that we are framing the problem as one of buyers/borrowers making poor choices.

Astrofool: I don't think the main factor creating risk for the banks is, or ever was, the relative difficulty in repossessing. And, FWIW, most of the anecdotal stuff I hear about this compare repossessions in Ireland with repossessions in the US, but mortgages in Ireland are relatively expensive compared to other Eurozone countries. I know nothing about the ease of repossession in other eurozone countries — is it as hard as Ireland? As easy as the US? Somewhere in between? Genuine question.

I think the cause of the problems in Ireland was a massive housing bubble, house prices that are absurdly expensive relative to earnings, and a very high owner-occupier rate and correspondingly limited rental market (which means that people who are at the margins of being able to buy are pushed towards buying). I don't think faffing around to make repossession processes more expeditious is going to do much to tackle those problems.

Podge is right when he says that lowering the real cost of housing is going to put many people in negative equity, certainly if the lowering happens over a short-to-medium term and not at a time of high inflation. That's not ideal, but it may be an unavoidable outcome of a transition to a saner housing market. If so, we'll have to deal with it, but I don't think in that situation the optimal way of dealing with it will be making repossession easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Write to them asking for a transcript of the call, then complain to the financial regulator and the central back. Start building a case that they refused to engage with you. In meantime try to move the mortgage to anybody else you can. Also contact the finance spokes person for each party in the dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The difficulty banks have recovering property from defaulters is an issue. Ireland in a European context is a relative outlier in terms of how long it takes to repossess property/enforce loan security. It means Irish property loans are relatively risky which means Irish banks have to hold more capital when compared other European banks (who face the same regulations). It means Irish banks can lend less money as a result and as they hold riskier loans they face higher financing costs. We have had a situation where banks have been exiting the Irish mortgage market despite high interest rates relative to the rest of Europe. Yes that's changed recently as Irish mortgage interest rates have not increased in line with the ECB. But that's down to the fact due to banks leaving there is very little competition among Irish banks keeping financing costs lower as deposit interest rates have also remained low.

Using US comparisons is not a good idea due to more stringent regulations in Europe. The US gave exemptions to smaller banks from the newer Basel regulations. Which was a factor in Silicon Valley bank going to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Thanks I’ve already contacted them for the recordings of the calls and they’ve sent me a form to fill out with a load of hoops to jump through, surprise surprise! I’ve also appealed their decision to not offer any alternative arrangements which they’ve said will take 40 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Make a 'data access request' under GDPR. There are no hoops or forms. You just request what data you want. If you search online, you'll find sample requests. They could require you to prove your identity to them, but if you're already known to them, that's probably unreasonable.

I’ll dig out the letter and let you know what it says but it definitely involved proof of ID and address, also needs consent from my wife as she’s on the mortgage and might have been mentioned in the calls. Just sounded like they were making it as difficult as possible, shame they are not so thorough when it comes to looking after their customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I certainly don’t envy those with Pepper finance on high interest rates- talk about making a bad situation even worse - it’s designed to fail. For those with Pepper who have good performing loans but are struggling, is there previous bad credit history that’s preventing you from switching to another financial institution?

In terms of people taking on ridiculously large mortgages, unfortunately until housing supply increases significantly, prices will remain high - but the double whammy of increased prices and increased rates hasn’t been with us for many years- it’s like musical chairs- some group of people in the future will be caught out without a chair- I hope to god at the very least they can sell their house and clear their debts.

Fill out the forms but also do a data access request, it's should be simpler and they have to respond with in a small ish time frame. They may also be missing paper work like the signed mortgage agreement. Which would really hurt them in court. For 6000 a year it's worth getting a solicitor involved, that might soften their cough

The thing is they bought mortgages from the likes of ulster bank so the home owner has no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's not hoops and forms, it's just due process.

Looking adter their custumef involves verifying that the person making the request really is their customer, and not some randomer pretending to be.

Also I suspect you will need to actually have a problem making payments before they will consider alternatives. Right now, if you are making payments, you don't have a problem that needs solving.

That’s a pretty silly way to manage your money, wait till your in arrears and then ask for help? Dosnt make any sense but then the whole mortgage process in Ireland dosnt make much sense to be honest

The difference in financial services is they’re already obliged to know their customer for regulatory purposes.

Why would they suddenly need to know the customer more?

Yep they have no problem discussing any issues whatsoever relating to my mortgage once they ask some security questions, they have no issues taking payments over the phone but all of a sudden I’ve to send proof of ID to get a phone call recording when surely my security questions should be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

That's exactly what they want, they want people defaulting on their mortgages. As soon as the ECB increases it's rates, they do the same the very next day. For those who by accident ended up with the mortgage traunched together with underperforming mortgages, are now in a situation where the monthly payment is stretching them beyond their reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Most of the construction activity in Dublin is funded by foreign investment companies. The Irish property developers never properly recovered after the crash. After 2008 practically all large scale developments in the city were funded by vultures with a few exceptions.

The Johnny Ronan's of this world are funded by vulture funds.

Irish developers cut their own throats with greed but as least the profits they made back in the day largely stayed in the country and did not end up in investment firms in France, Germany or the United States.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You cannot use GDPR to go on a fishing trip and then use data obtained under that request as the basis for a court case, if it would normally require a discovery order to obtain it. Seek legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

You sound like some sort of deluded fanatic from Brulee.

This country cannot survive without foreign investment. I am not talking about any sophisticated property rental schemes which were conceived by tax planners on Harcourt Street either?

They all have irish interests, they were specifically designed to manipulate irish land law and were invested in on that basis.

They are a really profitable scheme and give a great return to their shareholders, you should try to invest in one, you will make nice money.

Or would you prefer to see this country run like the soviet Union, by headnodding communist drips? Would you like to not be able to own your own future? Are you satisfied that you are investing your future in a flawed reinterpretation of a failed political model?

Do you believe in all that nonsense?

Do you feel satisfied cranking about the way it is?

I would rather try and molest Katie Taylor's arse.... than see this country run by people who think they are capable of changing it and destroying it all over again?

I am delighted those funds are making a few Bob on the irish property market. Fair play to them. The only difference in what they are doing and what Tin Tin is proposing is an ownership model. Do you really trust another cabal, enough to hand over you own purchasing rights for their benefit?

That is what worries me most, is the herding by the opposition of people whose lives are already remarkably subsidised, encouraging them to believe that they can get more for nothing by just following them over a financial and economic cliff, which the rest of the actual working class of Ireland will have to repair and carry on with.

Your only plan is to stand there and do phuck all about it. There is no other plan? That is going to be very expensive if it materialises. Not just in our back pockets, but in our social cohesion and more importantly our pride in who we are?

Nobody dreams of being a crank. But what is more jawdropping, is how gullible their supporters are?

And no , the truth of the matter is ..... that the wooool tour funds are an Irish idea, dreamt up by an Irish tax planner and marketed to anyone who wanted a piece. I know that for a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

They don't want the ECB to raise rates. It reduces the value of their loan book.as higher interest rates means a higher chance of a loan defaulting. Given how hard it is to enforce loan security in Ireland that is not a good thing.

The reason investment funds raise interest rates is because their own costs of funds has increased. They don't have same luxury of relying on deposits. Due to the banking crash we have only 3 major banks. This means there is very little competition for deposits so the cost of funds for BOI,AIB,PTSB has remained low. Deposit rate increases have not kept pace with ECB rate increases for the main Irish banks. A consequence of this is that they afford to keep mortgages rates relatively low. Other institutions in the mortgage market don't have the same access to cheap funding and are forced to make different business decisions.

• Advertisement

You can use GDPR to obtain your personal data from any organisation that holds this data.

What you use that information for is entirely up to you.

Advertisement