Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland's fake tan use problematic?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

further to this - i'd forgotten the fact that the mirror added their own fake quotes to the 'gaelgoirs mistaken for terrorists' story to flesh it out.

the 'Monaghan Association in New York St Patrick’s Day Parade Row' was a story that the Monaghan men's association was banned from the patrick's day parade in NY because their banner (featuring an outline diagram of Monaghan county) was mistaken for a map of iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Douglas Gageby must be rolling in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Noticed Newstalk have a soundbite from their discussion on fake tan ("Do you think fake tan is offensive?") but I haven't heard anyone make reference to the whole AI thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

I agree - it highlights the editorial policy of the IT, that they are happy to print any woke commentary, even though it is patently ridiculous, and does not voice any valid minority concerns.

Really great job and congratulations to those responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The shame at being successfully outrage baited by chat GPT must be palpable for some.

🤣🤣🤣

It would be great if this would lead to a real discussion on the types of media we are consuming and to an extent endorsing, especially pure outrage bullshit like this AI outrage trap and what that is doing for online discourse and wider society.

But you know we wont , there will be lots of vague nonsense about the right this the left that and then we will go back to being fed this bullshit from giant media groups owned by billionaires.

woohoo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, look at the current crop in the opinion section. nothing but wokeness from wall to wall.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I do think some of the conservative-leaning types on here need to reflect on the fact that most people on here (including liberal folk on here, myself included) thought the article was dumb and anecdotally anyone I mentioned it to thought it was dumb.

So maybe worth taking a step back and realising that left liberal people are not characterised by the edgy and eccentric stuff that papers and media outlets see as the best way to generate clicks in the culture wars. That way, it becomes easier to appreciate when you read an opinion you find dumb that it might not necessarily be reflective of the great hive-mind conspiracy of the Left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

It looks like a real-life person did actually raise the "problematic" issues of fake tan before. I came across her in a Newstalk breakfast show clip, responding to the fake article: https://www.goloudplayer.com/episodes/is-wearing-fake-tan-problematic-Yzg4OTYwYWUxYzIxOTk2YzBlOWIyOTlkNTg5MjMxOWM=

July 2022: Why hopping on a sunbed or slapping on fake tan reinforces racism and self-hatred | Independent.ie

"Joy-Tendai Kangere

Zimbabwean born, Joy-Tendai Kangere is an advocate for education equity, adult learning, justice di, equity, diversity, and inclusion. She holds a BCL(Hons) from UCD Sutherland School of Law and has previous experience in business management, compliance, and marketing.

Joy-Tendai is a Board Member of AONTAS (National Adult Learning Organisation). Her deep commitment to social justice and racial equity is what motivates her advocacy work for equality for women, girls and ethnic minoritized communities.

Her own lived experience of racial inequity has helped her understand the challenges faced by ethnic minorities and young people of African descent living in Ireland in accessing services. She also has worked on various projects to promote education and literacy for primary school children on the African continent."

So there are real people who think those want a tan are basically racist (should they differentiate between real and fake tans?). Much of Joy-Tendai's commentary seems to be about how racist Ireland is.

I think it would be far more harmful if the trend reverted to the beauty standard in Europe for centuries (as it still is in parts of Asia), when pale skin was seen as desirable. For centuries, up until the 1920s: Romney’s Spray Tan: When did white people start deliberately tanning themselves? (slate.com)

Post edited by donaghs on

Embarrassing for the Times, but nothing more damaging than that. Seems to have caused the usual levels of outrage amongst the permanently outraged crew on Twitter etc. Those boring malcontents really need to find a hobby that doesn’t involve being glued to their phone and angry all the time.

• Advertisement

It's how they get the dopamine fix they crave.

Constantly looking for something to be outraged about

Immigrants replacing everyone. mmmmmmm

People who don't want to be addressed as their sex. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Something something piers morgans latest hot take. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If it was made by AI or a human is irrelevant. A human editor chose to publish it and there by supporting the woke identity politics. The only one fooled was the editor.

This didn’t some gotcha on the alt right you think it was. It’s showing woke up for what it is.

Who was the intended target audience of the article RNFoxtrot do you think?

Do you think this article was written for people who identify as "woke"?

Or do you think this article was written to give those who crave the dopamine fix they get from outrage bait articles like this?

I haven't even given the IT a click for this have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

I’d disagree here. Racism is a serious accusation, understandably.

Something so mainstream as the IRish Times publishing an (opinion) article essentially suggesting that Irish people are racist for wanting a tan, is a bit worrying.

The fact that it was a fake article by a fake person shows how much they want articles like this.

The fact that it was manufactured fake outrage bullshit is what should be most concerning and those who were the target of this outrage bait should consider this a warning of how easily the media can manipulate their outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Who's outraged? We're all laughing at the Irish Times.

I agree with what you’re saying and most people on here seemed to think the article was ridiculous. Most people, left or right leaning laughed at it.

The issue I have is a major Irish newspaper and an editor who is supposed to be a professional and not a moron thought it ok to print this racist crap. And now because it was an AI generated joke they seem to think they’re absolved of responsibility.

I don’t know who the creator of the article intended it for. Was it click bait, was it to outrage the alt right under the bed, was it to expose the ignorance of the editor or was it just because they could? You don’t know either but you like to think you do.

The only thing we do know is the IT and the editor thought this was acceptable to publish and ultimately they decide who their target audience is and it’s in line with their life view.

Hence it’s woke identity politics and it’s embarrassing for the paper and anyone who defended the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

As opposed to yourself who totally isn't messaging on a message board right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Your argument might have more credibility if it wasn't full of the loaded terms, primarily imported from America. Liberal folk, Conservative etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I hope this leads to a life time ban on the term "problematic".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I tend to say "leaning" as much as possible when I use those terms to be fair. They are handy descriptors but I think adding the leaning bit helps to make clear its not an all-out label. Even when it's not used I think it's clear from the tone of posts when someone is attempting a tar all with same brush or if they are sincerely just using the terms out of practicality.

liberal and conservative are terms imported from the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I swear to god, when I stage my benevolent coup the word "woke" will be banned outright for any usage other than the past tense of the verb Wake.

I could fill a gulag with posters in this thread alone.

Creepy thing to say

Do you know what benevolent means?

Fantasising about sending people to concentration camps because they use words you don’t like is exactly the kind of thing I’d associated with woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Can't stop laughing at earlier comments "Hrmm why is this a stereotype, what makes you say that?" being shown up by a **** computer given a prompt to be as stereotypical as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The trouble is, the moderate left/centrists have consistently failed to criticise, or even pay attention to this stuff as it slowly creeps in.

As a result, these issues remain "right wing talking points", because it's only the right that have been kicking up a fuss.

The centre left have been asleep at the wheel, while radical new ideas and norms continue to be pushed on us from the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Yes sadly the concept of journalistic integrity and accountability appear to be nothing more than fusty old notions of a bygone era at the Irish Times.

It was the same story after Roisin Ingle’s disgusting smug article gloating about other children she didn’t like getting raped. There was (understandably) a sizeable backlash from readers and on social media alike.

It was never addressed or commented on by either Ingle or the IT. In private correspondence the new editor suggested that Ingle’s article had simply been misunderstood (not received the way she expected more like). Basically just massive arrogance of not feeling obliged to substantiate what you’ve said to your readers, particularly in cases like the above where there’s much controversy and call for clarification.

So yeah nothing was ever going to happen to Jennifer O’Connell for this huge **** up - merely another example of the rot taking hold at IT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If the article wasn’t fake it was trolling by the journalist. Either way it was nonsense.

Advertisement