Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I agree, for all the talk about Jenkins at the start of the season.. he's had little impact at the business end of the season.. yes he scored a try yesterday but offered little else. For a guy who spent the previous year around the munster training ground you'd hope he could have disrupted the lineout abut more.

Joe mccarthy offered more in the 20 minutes he was on. I wouldn't be suprised if he made the bench ahead of Jenkins

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If there was any concern about Ryan I'm not surprised they didn't want to risk Moloney as I believe they're first and second choice lineout callers. They also probably wanted to keep some of the partnerships together, especially the ones that don't spend time in Irish camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I could see having Baird on the bench for 30 minutes of max effort when some other power guys start getting subbed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Gutted at the result. Agree with others that the team picked was too weak. I just don't think it was necessary to take the risk.

Munster were the better side and I hope they win the final but again I do think Leinster were hard done by from the ref. I just cannot understand from an optics perspective how that appointment was allowed. URC just leaving themselves open.

Strangely, I'm very confident about Saturday. I might look silly with this prediction come Saturday night but I can see us winning comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There's no way he's not in the 23, been one of the best players over the latter half of the season. Could see him starting at 4 or 6, or on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea, definitely in 23. I meant would you keep him on bench for that impact or start him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Ive been reading this sort of stuff for years about Leinster and it’s gilding the lily. Sport at the top is fine margins, calls going against you, little things happen one way and not the other, but none of that makes these things the same. They’re different. Losing matches that count is completely different to winning them, you can’t just brush it off as the bounce of a ball. Great teams win things, teams that aren’t great nearly win things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Among all the various takes we've seen over the last two days, describing Leinster as a team that doesn't win things is a stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

One other big moment stands out, Jenkins made a try saving tackle on Salanoa that dislodged the ball out of Salanoa’s hands on the try line and Deegan picked up the loose ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think the 23 needed to be slightly stronger. I've no issue with the starting team. It was largely what was expected and was good enough to do their job. But the bench was very weak overall. Connors going off injured didn't help at all as any bench impact from VDF was removed from proceedings entirely.

But in the closing 10-15 minutes, the only guys we had available to bring on were Clarkson, Turner and Nick McCarthy. That's not good enough in that intensity of game. I genuinely believe that if one of RB, JGP or Ringrose were on the bench, they'd have been the difference between winning and losing. There would have been enough experience and leadership from them to ensure there was a calmer approach in that final 10.

I can see both sides of the argument. Cullen went with a team that he felt had enough to get it done and they very nearly did but he certainly rolled the dice a little with some calls and it didn't work out.

The Connors injury was particularly costly as not only did it mean there was no back row sub for the entire game but VDF and Conan went for 80 minutes and put in big shifts (49 tackles between them). VDF in particular was banged up at the end and limping heavily in the closing minutes. It's this sort of thing that makes me think Cullen won't be losing any sleep over his selection and, if Penny was available, I'd say he might have been on the bench ahead of VDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is it today that the resale tickets are supposed to open up on ticketmaster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jenkins has been decent for Leinster this season. When he's on the pitch you see that Leinster's maul is better. Does the dirty stuff he was brought in for, but he has also surprised me with how good his hands are and with his supporting runs.

The injury derailed his progress somewhat and he has been slow to regain form, but I think the last few weeks has shown some improvement. He won't start this weekend, but that's down to how good Ryan and Molony have been this season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I think it opened up last week, I know someone who got a single ticket last Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The resale option is not open yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Resale option is available now. The transfer function is still disabled though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

My preferred side for the final would have Jenkins and Baird in it, but the form of Molony and Conan is too good to ignore. Then again, Molony was excellent last season, but in the final his passing game was snuffed out by La Rochelle's rush defence and he didn't have the physicality to make up for it.

But the area they did the most damage was the lineout. We use it so effectively as a launching pad for our strike moves and subsequent phase attacks. Last summer they pilfered at least three of our own throws on the halfway line or inside their territory. That's where I guess Molony will have the advantage over Jenkins. He's a better caller and jumper.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd hope that we'll counter La Rochelle's rush with more direct carries around the rucks. Also that we don't ignore using the maul like last season.

• Advertisement

Sheehan is much better at the lineout this season than last. It was the same against the Bulls, our lineout had a total malfunction.

One other aspect of the game I hope Leisnter improve on from last year is the use of the bench.

O'Gara puts particular attention on using it and i expect he will empty his entire bench before we are in the last 10 minutes.

Leinster last year. Never Brought on Frawley and Luke mcgrath and Joe mccarthy got 3 minutes each.

in what is expected to be a brusing game the benches could decide the game.

No point in putting someone on the bench if you are not willing to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I was on the site and a ticket became available, I selected it and when I signed in I got a message to say the ticket was gone...can't believe it 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Will the teams be announced on Thursday this week? Can't wait for Saturday now, gonna be a slow week.

I never really watched any of last season's final again but looking at the stats I didn't realise how dominant La Rochelle were in terms of possession and territory. They made about twice the number of carries, and Leinster made 224 tackles to 88 which is a bit mad. Wasn't a huge disparity in metres made though which indicates if Leinster had gotten more of the ball then could have done some damage. Also probably influenced by the fact Leinster never went to the corner. But Leinster's exits from our own territory are going to be absolutely key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I reckon we will kick long and keep the ball in play as much as possible. Our fitness is a huge weapon. Hoping for a nice warm sunny day.

It's important we keep them honest and pick and drive from rucks before going out the back. Accuracy going to be so important to ensure there is support for the carrier every time.

I think we are going to do a job on them barring something like a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭conquestscarer

It's kind of a false stats though, I watched the game back in full and every time we made it into their half without fail they'd get pinged for a penalty and then Sexton would be overly aggressive and send through a useless grubber on advantage, then at that point we would go for 3 points sticking us right back in our own half with the ball needing to clear. Whenever they got the ball they just ran with one out runners, which wasn't really effective at all against our defence, the winner was scored because their player slipped just when Ringrose was going to mince him, then he jumped over the line to score. We defended their one out runners very very well, Skelton had 18 carries and made 23 metres I think, 8 of those metres were from a single carry at the half way line where they batted a ball back from a box kick and he had open field to run into.

Doris also neutralised all of their big runners last year, he was phenomenal at 6. Held up so many balls, slowed down so much of their ruck ball. He wasn't trusted to carry the ball as much as he did against Toulouse but I think that's one area of our game where we have improved, Doris getting 3 or 4 yards on an awkward carry in midfield then quick ball from the ruck.

We lost the game because La Rochelle, similar to Munster on Saturday managed to keep the ball in our 22 with an almost constant penalty advantage. This meant of the 3 turnovers we managed to get in the last 10 minutes didn't count for anything due to penalty advantage. Barnes was never giving us anything in the last 10 minutes and we did very poorly at ruck time in those 10. Our scrum was also a penalty factory for La Rochelle.

Simple game plan for next weekend I think, keep the ball in play, make sure we don't get isolated or knock the ball on and finally and most importantly keep the territory in their half. They're really poor at exiting their half and give away cheap penalties because they'll take the 3 points against them every day of the weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Has happened to me 6 times this morning.

Lucky number 7 though.

• Advertisement

Again I am open to correction because as I've stated I didn't watch it again, but my overriding memory is also of Sexton having a really poor game by his standards. That attempt to step on his own line, getting caught, and flinging away a hospital pass was nightmare stuff, when I am pretty sure he had time to just kick it away. I think La Rochelle scored subsequently, it was such an own-goal.

Advertisement