Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah saw an option like that, but decided to try the default for a bit and see if got used to it. Going to try changing when I start again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still kind of in awe at the depth and scale of the game Nintendo has made here. Frequent bursts of joy and discovery as you figure out another layer to the world and mechanics here. And the shrine puzzles are frequently ingenious.

Doing my first big main ‘dungeon-y’ mission at the moment and the more ‘authored’ content is on a totally different level to Breath of the Wild. I’ve only actually just reached where I needed to go, but getting there was a spectacular platforming adventure in its own right, climbing kilometres into the air with some classic Zelda details and design. The sense of scale - the feeling that you are really navigating these immense heights - is wonderful.

Virtually all of my complaints about Breath of the Wild are addressed here, with perhaps the only slight disappointment being that treasure chest rewards are often underwhelming still (although tend to be relieved when I get a bundle of arrows as I’m bloody flying through them in this game). There are exceptions to that though… got unexpectedly sent on an impromptu treasure hunt earlier (just during casual exploration) that ended with me getting an item that will make navigating one particular region of the game significantly easier.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Anyone know how to get back out of a well without warping? Since that will leave me miles away.

And just as I posted that I thought, oh maybe I’ll try ascend. Worked. 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Excellent. Was getting a bit fecked off then saw this.

Was about to go looking for a good horse. Went to stable. Already had the white horse with 100% bond from botw. Piling through the map now 👍

Folks is the only way to consume cooked food to go into the + menu? Can’t be added to the quick menu thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Have abandoned the main quests and am off rambling, doing shrines, activating towers, arsing about in sky islands. Lots of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Managed to get a couple of hours this evening on this. The paraglider really shines with the extra kilometres of height.

Really it's not a game to rush around in. Just wander. Also turn off the HUD for zero annoying things on screen. And regarding weapons breaking, just let it go.

The tru motion thingy. I think it's fine for this game on my LG C1. Can't really notice any lag I might turn to game mode when some serious combat is required. 😁

Definitely way way nicer looking. This guy, who says yeah a lot, covers this. So YMMV depending on you and your TV.

Ah the weapon breaking is still annoying, being able to fuse things does help by delaying the inevitable a little. Did a bit more exploring this evening, found a few new items clothing which was cool and managed to get the hearts back up to 7, still very squishy even against basic enemies though. Thankfully the shrines are much more interesting and less frustrating than in botw, so far at least. Stamina doesn’t see to be as big a hindrance now either which is nice.

I think my biggest gripe so far is all the pissing about with menus, there’s way too much of it. Oh and you don’t seem to be able to collect items off the ground while on horseback like you can in Elden Ring. But for sure it’s more fun than botw. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭1992ChainGang

I’m getting a bit further in and one gripe I’ve noticed is the long long list of items, particularly when you’re trying to fuse something. Can take ages to find what you’re looking for, and I don’t think you can sort alphabetically.

Presumably the number of different items will only grow as time goes on, bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Press Y to sort...

There are a few options, can't remember them offhand but the one I tend to default to sorting by most used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

That's a good way to approach it I think. You could spend days just playing around with the new abilities alone. This game is nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Ok.... soooo.... I may have gone heavy on this on the weekend.

Think the only bit of the map I've not scanned are the Gerudo parts.

I've a full second wheel of stamina and 9 hearts I think.

Damn it's soooo easy to get into the "ok Im just going to that Shrine and that Tower and then I'll turn it off"... and then you see another shrine. Which was the same with Botw but I played so much after finishing all the shrines in that that I forgot how time consuming it was....but in a good way.

I had stayed clear of the chasms for ages then got sucked into similar down there moving from light bulb to lightbulb. Not as fun down there as it is in the sky.

Fought my first Flux Construct II down in one chasm. I'd ran from them all previously but when I actually gave one a go I realised how easy they were.

Gleeocks.... yea I'll wait for later. Always avoided Lynels like a little pussy too. :D

The game has me hooked. I went for the first main bit of the story last night through Rito village. It's really well done.

Also... when you launch yourself in the sky and you see those crop circle looking things in the land.... go check em out.... worth it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just dropped off the starter sky island and got my first part of the map revealed. Fighting a bit with the controls, tempted to buy a Pro controller as the adapter that comes with the console is so small.

It's a shame they didn't improve the cooking mechanic, only being able to make 1 thing at a time is annoying.

And the random frame rate drops are disappointing. I am guessing the original plan was new hardware to coincide with this, but they couldn't make it work.

Otherwise though, excellent. The building mechanic is very fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's called Tears of the Kingdom because you die so much isn't it. Damn all I am doing is sky diving to oblivion.

Not having a go just checking. Can we just post whatever in here about progressing through the game? Was doing spoiler tags but wouldn't mind discussing few things already.

Im up in the sky in Rito at the moment. Think I need to go get some cold resistant gear somewhere. Running out of potions and heat skewers.

Yea I was the same. I got to a certain milestone where I had the checkpoint and warped back to Rito village. I have done a fair bit of exploring so had loads of gem stones so I sold them and bought the gear set for sale in Rito village. Warped back and good to go.

I used an a cold elixir I had received previous to get through that last bit before the milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone have an issue with horses disappearing? Happened twice now

Have you registered them at a stables?

Usually they may go walkabouts if you go into a shrine or something but if you hit the whistle button they should respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Oh yeah the horses are still sh1te

You know you've been playing too much when youre walking the dog and you go "oh big hearty radish!"

Post edited by The Nal on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think I need to spend time and mess around with the building mechanics to see if something clicks for solving a couple of shrines I had to leave when I got stuck.

Also to speed up travel. Have been using horses more than BotW though.

Decided to try and stick with the main story for a bit...

...right after I check out what that is over there. And over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The first one was registered, got off it and then moved away and it was gone, no icon on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yup, I can't stand the fiddly joycons, even in their adapter. The official switch pro controller is excellent. It's a pity though you can't stick headphones into it. Also, not sure why they call them "pro". It's a controller 😁

There is a pair of cold resistant trousers in the tutorial area iirc. Just after you get the Ascend ability you're able to get it from a chest.

It's not enough for the higher up points. You need two pieces at least I think. You get this "unbearable cold" warning on the temp gauge.

Yeah got those. You need more though when you get to a certain height in the sky in Rito. Area is trapped inside a blizzard.

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up! 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the starter area warm trousers and the purchased tunic from the village meant I returned from that quest with a bunch of sautéed peppers still in my inventory :)

You can buy cold resistance clothing at some point or get the fairy to upgrade once you have access to them.

Struggling so far lots of Botw stuff is gone completely after being so reliant on ingredients it's causing me untold stress.

Wish the stables had a warp point.

If you are in a river or falling to your death running out of stamina warp to a nearby shrine or tower to save yourself the shame of game over.

• Advertisement

Every stable has a Shrine very close by so they essentially do.

Advertisement