Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North face garden

Options
  • 14-05-2023 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi just wondering if anyone could tell me im thinking of buying a house it ticks all the boxes but it has a north facing garden.....th house has houses either side and behind also. The walls surrounding the garden would be 7 foot high.no trees surrounding it .The garden is about 25 long and 30 foot wide...Would the whole garden mainly be in shade all day or would I get a section of the garden that would be sunny

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

Having lived in houses with all aspects, the only one I would absolutely not buy is an east facing garden.

North facing can get nice summer evening sun from the west as long as there’s nothing obstructing to the left side.

It will get little to no sun in the Winter but sure you’d hardly be sitting out in winter anyway.

There are a couple of great apps where you can use the camera on your phone to see the sun position at any time of day and any day of the year. An absolute must have for any house purchaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d mc

I had an east facing apartment in DOnabate a few years ago - unobstructed sinshine.

I'd have loveed my west facing balcony for beers on a Friday evening, but I swear my entire apartment was flooded with light every morning. It was stunning. White walls glowing yellow in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

It’s nice, but ultimately an east facing aspect gets sun 7am -12pm at best.

Most people are commuting/working for the majority of that time. Personal preference but my main interest is to be able to have a BBQ/people over for a few drinks in the evening time. I guess it depends on circumstance but for most evening sun is far more important than morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Dont buy a North facing garden unless it is long and its a Bungalow.

South west I thing would be my choice. Evening sun better than morning sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I've a south West myself, sun on the front of the house leaving in the morning for work and then sun on the back for when we're at home. It's really lovely.

Last place had a South facing and the back of the house was amazing but the front never saw any light at all.

To the OP - It would be worth trying out some sun tracking apps on your phone, should give you a good visualisation.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My garden is north facing and is short, and I get sun in it all day from around May til late September. Only the first metre or so by the house is shaded.

What's more important is what is to the west of your garden, this will dictate your sun. We are totally clear to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Theres a great app for your phone called Sun position. You can view the sun from any date on your phone from your phone. So just open it in the garden of the house you are buying. For the height put in 5m for a bungalow and 7m for a 2 story house and it will give you the shadow length too.

Advertisement