Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which broadband Service provider (Gigabit Fibre Broadband) - To use my own Wireless router?

Options
  • 14-05-2023 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have my own high end ASUS wireless router. My correct setup is, I connect my personal router's WAN port to ISP's LAN port. There is a speed decrease, but it works. My contract would end next month, so I am shopping around for offers from other service providers.

May I know which ISP's modem / router, would allow me to use my own router, by setting it to bridge / modem mode?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Who is your current ISP?

Are you currently using FTTH? If so, you should be able to connect your ASUS router directly to the ONT and configure it

How are you testing the internet speed? If via wireless there will always be a speed drop completed to Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

I too would like to know which isp lets you use your own router

Presume you would need to get a modern version of the pppoe details

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭MaxPayneXL

PureTelecom is my current ISP.

Ys, it is FTTH

I am connection my ASUS routers's WAN port to the LAN port of the ISP router.

I am running speedtest on my client devices to test the bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How are your client devices that you are running the speedtest on connected to your Asus?

Client devices connect to the ASUS router via Wired and Wireless. As expected clients on wireless have less bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

How much of a speed down are you getting when testing via Ethernet?

Also you should just be able to swap out the Pure Telecom router with the ASUS one assuming you are not using the phone service as I don't think that Pure will give out the SIP settings for it

And then configurate the settings in the ASUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If you're with an ISP that provides a Fritzbox, there's possibly a way to extract the SIP details. I've never been in a position to test it though.

I have a voip landline connection. So need to use the ISP router to connect the phone cable.

When I was with VirginMedia, I had the option to set the VM router to hub mode. In this setup the phone line would be connected to the VM router. An ethernet cable connection from the ISP LAN port to my ASUS router WAN port gives connectivity.

Left VM 1 year back. And now on the search an ISP with 1 Gbps broadband speed + unlimited local and national landline calls. Vodafone seems to be the cheapest offering both for 45 euro (Any other options welcome).

Ys, Currently with PureTelecom with whom I have to use Fritz! box. The current contracts ends next month and on the lookout for another ISP that provides 1 Gbps speed + a VoIP landline.

Advertisement