Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not sure if Molony starts, tbh. Jenkins was signed for this particular kind of match. This pack we are facing is massive. Jenkins starting surely helps the scrum.

Crucially, Lowe must start if he's fit. His kicking game is an asset. O'Brien and Larmour just haven't got that kind of kicking game.

The ref will be instrumental if he refs the rucks properly and consistently. Would it be better to attack their rucks? They aren't Toulouse and don't have the broken field skill that Toulouse have!

The selection will be interesting. Doris at 6? Baird at 6, will Conan start? Interesting calls to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We barely got Lowe involved last year, it was a massive failure. I feel like the entire season, for Leinster and Ireland, has been framed by strategising for how to deal with ultra physical teams. I think if we manage to score a try early, we could blow the wheels off of La Rochelle.

That's true. Matching up with that size is very difficult. Skelton is a different kind of big. Good engine and massive power with good skills. Antonio is a good player too. O'Gara has gotten them to this level. Add in Dillane at 6 and Aldritt and that's certainly a very powerful nucleus.

How the feck do we wear them down? Their linespeed was crippling last year. We need Furlong at his best! We need a different tactic than last year. I'm still confident. But I feel having Lowe and his kicking game is vital. Nothing better than watching him boot the leather off the ball and sending it 50 meters up the field.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea that mistake led to a score.

I think last year La Rochelle were fairly dominant when they had the ball. They weren't making massive metres with every carry, but they were making positive metres after being tackled, and as a result Leinster struggled to get the ball back. This was most evident in the last few minutes when they were basically camped in Leinster's 22, Leinster just didn't have the strength/power to regain the ball legally.

About 2 phases before their try Skelton carried, he didn't make a ton of metres but it took 3 or 4 Leinster defenders to bring him down. Eventually this led to Ringrose being left 1-1. This was after phase after phase of slow but steady progress.

Remember LAR needed a try to win, Leinster could go for the ball without worrying about coughing up 3, the problem was they just couldn't get near the ball legally.

One out runners was pretty effective for LAR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Golden Tickets on sale for next year's final 😉

The maul will be key. We were dominant with it last year, and should've went to more often. Exeter also managed to get outside La Rochelle multiple times in the semi, think there's hay to be made there.

Last year we fell off our playing style and I think we're forced into a slugfest. They were more adept at keeping the ball and going through phases. They killed any of our momentum with linespeed. I was happy to take the points on offer last year. Not sure if I'd go themat way this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If they fail to win next week there will certainly be a whiff of that off them.

however, I still think they'll win.

Injury update says everyone came through the game fine other than Connors, Lowe is available. So the only first team player unavailable is Sexton really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Obviously he's a big player to be missing, but to be at this stage of the season and only missing one player from the first choice 23 is some going

still hoping for some Lazarus like return right before kick off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

As much as I'd love Sexton for the final, it's only right that Byrne gets his chance. He's started every game in the Champions Cup for us this season. We have to wean ourselves off relying on Sexton and this is the best chance to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

One European cup in decade and being knocked out of the domestic league since the best SA teams joined is what Im referring to. You and others seemingly insist that these European results are all marginal, close encounters that could have gone the other way but for uncomfortable details. That's wishful thinking. Leinster won a bag full of league cups when Munster were brutal, the Welsh teams were is disarray and the only real competition was from the Scottish clubs. They were utterly dominant domestically in those years and developed an incredible style of play. But as numerous posters have mentioned its European honors that the province puts on the jerseys. I hope Leinster school LAR and grab that fifth star, it will establish a top tier legacy if they do but as it stands Leinster are definitely a team that don't win things, they almost win things.

Approaching Clermont levels at this stage tbh. Think it would be massive heading into the WC as well, beating the top French teams again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

There is some truth to the fact that Leinster haven't won as much as we'd all hope. But, we lost to a great side last year and a very good Sarries! 4 finals in 6 years! The consistency has been incredible. I think we win on Saturday. Fingers 🤞

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

really though, no its not.

€30 on premium tickets from €146.50 (with fees) to €176.50 (with fees).

thats €15 per game more.

not exactly bank breaking and id gladly pay that extra to experience that stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

When the golden tickets were released last year I paid €126 for premium plus fees. Think it was €135 each including fees. It’s €175 this year. So that’s €40 per ticket more.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you sure they were premium?

maybe there was different levels of premium?

This "one European cup in a decade" thing is really tiresome. Leinster had pretty much no business winning the European cup between about 2013 and the moment they actually won it in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The domestic league bit is pretty misleading. It is a tiniest sample size since SA teams arrived and both games were lost by a point while fielding weakened sides.

Leinster have been more dominant domestically in the last two years arguably than any time in their history, they just havent turned it into domestic trophy in the last two years. Leinster never won bags full of doubles and they've made the CC final both years so havent focused on domestic knockout and have just been pipped each year.

The URC knockout timing and format makes it far tougher to do the double than the Top 14, which is nearly set up for a dominant team to win a double and it very rarely happens because a team still ends up focusing on one or the other.

Scratch that, I went catagory 1 for this year, premium for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

All this is public domain, not a secret. Im not saying Leinster are a poor side, they've been the most dominant team in the league for the best part of a decade and have been at the very top table in Europe for longer than that bar a couple of mid decade years. They just haven't turned it into European silverware. In the same period both Saracens and Toulon have won 3. I hope Leinster's time in the sun continues for another decade but with Lancaster and Johnny coming to the end of their tenures it's a reasonable time to look at the record. It's decent but many fans on here seem to find a way of turning losses into nearly wins (only a point) and correspondingly turn what's a disappointing European record in one that makes Leinster one of the greatest club sides in the world. The loss to Munster was familiar, going in red hot favourites and coming up short, barely. It's a habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭eire4

All true but it would be great if he was on the bench. I doubt he will be but would be a nice boost if he was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He won't be. But if he was fit then it would be "cheers Ross, enjoy the bench" from everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I find it very convenient that the argument stops at a decade and not, oh say, fifteen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Your point on the domestic league is what I responded to so not sure what European silverware has to do with it - that return in the last decade is disappointing, though as mentioned if you expand it to a generation of players, like 15 years, then it is top tier.

Leinster weren't red hot favourites against Munster once the teams were announced - I dont think anyone said they'd be easily beaten. The only 'habit' you can take from the last two years of the domestic knock-outs is that Leinster are so successful in Europe that they've had fixtures up against finals and without a significant number of starters they haven't performed well and narrowly lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The point seems to be that we should have devoted more resources to winning the league, because it's very important, but winning four leagues in a row means nothing because the league isn't important.

Advertisement