Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ok but ultimately they won 7/9 with draws against us and away to West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I believe that is what I posted, if they win the treble he would have improved them but if not then he arguably has not. I don't know what is difficult about this. I still think they were more difficult to play against in 2017-18 and 2018-19 with Sterling, Jesus and Sane running to the byline and cutting the ball back to any of those 3 and Augero to score easy goals. But Grealish is not that type of player and neither is Mahrez. Haaland is not Augero in terms of workrate so they have had to adapt.

I will reiterate, we are talking very small margins here. A very good team that won almost everything without Haaland is still a very good team that could win everything with Haaland. Do I fear them more with Haaland in the team? Not really, I still hate playing against them and fear playing against them as they can destroy you in any match, but we have kept him quiet for 2 of the 3 matches we had against them this year. So about the same as last year and the previous 6 seasons, which is what I have been saying all along really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Was he just in charge of loans out or was he also involved in loans in, if he was, it's understandable he's gone, as we haven't had much success with the few players we brought in on loan; Arthur, Kabak and Caulker, we must have the worst record of any club for getting players on loan, Kabak at least played a few games, Arthur an absolute disaster of a signing and Caulker must go down as one of our weirdest signings ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The Liverpool Echo article says that David Woodfine was responsible for managing the loan of youth players and the development of relationships with European clubs to facilitate loans for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't want to lose Kelleher, but if we must, let's make sure he goes to Brighton to use it as leverage for one or 2 of their gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Does anyone else think we need a striker this summer? We're fairly well stocked there currently, but last season we sold Mane, Minamino and Origi, and since we've only brought in Nunez and Gakpo. Firmino is going too now, and while Gakpo is a similar replacement, we're still a little short in the central role. I also don't think he or Nunez can be relied upon to score goals regularly.

If Sadio was available on the cheap or a loan, he'd be a no-brainer as he's played centrally for us and done well.

I suppose the alternative would be a left-footed winger to play on the right and move Salah central. Doak looks like a talent but he's only 17.

It's certainly not a priority but I wouldn't be surprised if they brought someone else in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool are the 3rd highest scorers in the league this season, and that is still while having Diaz/Jota/Firmino missing large portions of the season and Gakpo only arriving in January.

Diaz / Nunez / Jota / Gakpo / Salah is a very exciting attacking line up going forwards, and has potential to grow too. There needs to be a pathway for the likes of Carvalho /Gordon / Doak to come through too, or else youngsters will stop moving to the club. Can't keeping buying £40m players for ever because there are no kids coming through.

Midfield is obviously the primary area to target, and then defence. I don't think attack needs to be looked at for a year or two and see how things are going then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I would think not. Luis Diaz missed 6 months of the season. Jota missed the start of the season and picked up another injury shortly after his return. Nunez and Gakpo are still settling in. When everyone is fit we will have 5 senior players for 3 positions and there's a pathway open for the under age players to make an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Every single cent the club has to spend needs to be spent on midfield and defence. We've spent enough up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

No, we have a limited transfer budget and attack is the least of our issues. Actually its not an issue at all.

Midfield is the priority. We need at least 2, hopefully 3 players there.

Then we need a centre back and right back.

No way we're bringing in 5 players though. Even 4 is pushing it. I wouldn't be happy with 3 new players but I would imagine that's what we'll bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The only "missing piece" for the City team is the books with their real finances (not the cooked up ones that still have 100+ irregularities). Remove any of their superstars and they've another to take his place. All completely above board of course. No way was the club in serious financial difficulties and on the brink of collapse just over a decade ago. It was all homegrown success in front of a largely empty (gifted) stadium, despite loyal legions of tens of fans, that gave them their financial might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not delighted with 5 for three positions given only Salah has a definite 20 goals in him and the question marks over Nunez.

But needs must and I'd say we have to pump into midfield.

I suppose Elliot or Carvalho could deputise up front if stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Elliott has stagnated , brings nothing to the table, goals, assists , England call up, nothing. No progression whatsoever, it's not a lot to ask of such a player to contribute a lowly 5-7 goals maybe, with 5-10 assists bare minimum, at this level that's the least you'd expect.

Gundogan has 8 and 5 .He's 32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Hey... I won't argue with any of that 😂

I just meant in the tight European games where City have come up against a well organized defensive unit they have before failed to find that moment of magic.

Haaland offers that. Plus he makes it a lot more difficult to defend against City as a whole as you do need to pay special attention to where he is at all times. He can occupy 2 CBs on his own.

I don't think City lose the tie against Madrid last season for example if Haaland is playing. Real would have been far more likely to get caught on a counter with Haaland on the pitch. City had more than enough chances to finish Real off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

The huge problem with your thinking is that it is result's based thinking which is the incorrect way to look at something like this. We won the champion's league in '05 but we were a better team in '07 and lost the final. This does not make the '05 team better than the '07 team. It means they achieved more of course but with a weaker team. Its the way it goes sometimes in games with variance, which believe it or not football has plenty of. The best team doesn't always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

TBF I see Elliot as more of an attacker and think he is being played out of position in what has been a shambles of a midfield

Speaking of midfield, I would assume that we are back to the box midfield of Fabinho Trent Jones Hendo tonight.

Gakpo & Daiz back into attack so Jota & Nunez miss out.

We are fine in attack for another season at least, with Salah, Nunez, Jota, Gakpo and Diaz we are well stocked there, plus Eliot and Jones can fill in there if needed, plus some of the youngsters too if required. The only worry would be if Salah got a long term injury, he's been virtually ever present since he signed and very difficult to replace if missing for any length of time.

Midfield needs to be sorted out, sort that and it fixes most of our problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I know tonight is more than likely meaningless in terms of top 4 but I'm nervous. Along with the early Saturday kick off the Monday evening seems to be another time Liverpool seem unable to peak at.

The fact it's not in anfield only ads to my worry 🫣

• Advertisement

It's more a case that we're just not great at the moment and not the kick off times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Won our last Monday night game 6-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yep

1.75pts per Monday night game

1.77pts per game overall

😋

I know this is a cliche but we just need to outscore Leicester.

They will score, they always do. The need to win. We just need to overcome that and score a few more. I have faith in Salah & co scoring a couple. 2-1 away win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Oh yeah this season is just crap full stop but even when we're having a good season any game starting at 12.30 Saturday or Monday evening hasn't generally resulted in great performances. Or else I'm just remembering it arseways ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think if you were to poll fans of all teams the vast majority would say they think 12:30 kick offs are their bogey time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

While I don’t disagree with that, I’d say it’s highly likely that every other team would give the same answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So another one of these games where Liverpool are judges by the ref and linesmen to a different standard for fouls

Van Dijk giving out to the ref, Leicester player booted it away after the whistle way later than for Konate's yellow last week

Those Diaz & Maddison incidents is infuriating. Don't blame Klopp for going mad at it.

I'd nearly be certain it was on a foul on Gakpo too, but Sky haven't shown a proper replay yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Think the refs association must have a bet between themselves to see who can rile Klopp up the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Early signs not good from the ref and linesman.

The amount of big chances that Trent gives away with his passing is always going to be his biggest weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

All that rubbish flying past the camera is really getting on my titts

Wonder if we'll get a favourable whistle at all tonight

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if VAR ruled out any potential Liverpool goal, because a Liverpool player shouted "my ball" or some crap like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

WTF Trent.

Does Barnes hold his face every time he's fouled?

"Clever" from the Englishman no doubt

• Advertisement

Henderson just doesn't cut it imo, he's offering nothing here. He's definitely not providing much cover down the right so far.

That’s a great finish from Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Nice goal

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think he’s offside.

Edit: nope, all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Good drive from Jones to get himself into that position.

He's been practicing that one, same as his last goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hopefully that will shut up the always the victims chant from the Leicester crowd

Jones is showing all the signs of a lad who’s put a lot of work in on the training pitch. He’s so much more efficient on the ball now.

Jones was so offside on that goal that they actually checked to see did he in fact shout "f****n leave it" to the defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Another beauty

• Advertisement
Advertisement