Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Can't see them trading him unless they get a ridiculous offer. By all accounts Harden is going back to Houston - it will be interesting to see if the League open a tampering case against Houston on this btw considering it's been telegraphed for a year. I don't understand the logic of brining a ball dominant PG into a team of young players, but there you go.

They simply can't trade Embiid on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,315 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They're not trading Embiid, they'll try and add new faces around him.

They've allowed a couple of winnable seasons to slip away now, only get so many chances. Still think the 2021 Semis was their worst loss of this period but it's now 5 round 2 series losses from 6 seasons; with 3 of those losses going 7. Gonna be hard to get up off the mat and go again imo.

With the caveat that I don’t know how much the injury affected him (but it didn’t seem so bad in games 2-6) Embiid was about as poor as I’ve ever seen an MVP in an elimination game last night, and esp. defensively. Boston hunted him for fun last night, specifically Tatum. You. Hold make a Tatum mix tape showing just his 1 v 1 makes with Embiid guarding him.

Harden was worse, but Embiid had a shocker. I would wager a lot of those who voted him MVP over Jokic will be sitting uncomfortably today - except Mark Jackson obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

For podcast listeners, The Rights to Ricky Sanchez (a Sixers pod) is hilarious today

Re Embild. Well, it was a nice Sunday evening settling down for a Game 7 and I finished watching that game absolutely furious that the MVP wasted my time, so I can't imagine how the actual fans (and MVP voters) feel today.

They won't trade him but I feel he might request a trade

• Registered Users Posts: 29,820 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

And then he blames the team saying him and James can't do it all, MVP my hole.

• Advertisement

I still can't believe that Niang wasn't ejected.

Aside from her fact you have an off court team member reaching out to stop an opposing player running back on defence and thus interfering with play at a crucial point of the game, he gets the exact same penalty as the player reacting to this. Now imagine if Brown got another T later in the game and got ejected?

He should be suspended for this. I know his season is over but if that's the punishment what's to stop other bench players doing this at a more pivotal part of the game? That was in the first half. What happens if he does it on the last play of the game with Philly going the there way n a fast break and he stops a defensive player chasing that fast break down?

There should be ZERO tolerance for this. A suspension for the player and a massive fine for the teams nd a warning for any team personnel trying this again.

I'm not saying this because it was against Boston. I'd say this for any player on any team doing this. Like last week with Ishbia and Jokic, you can't have crap like this going on in important games.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Don’t think he’ll be traded, unless he requests it himself, but has there ever been a case of a player being traded just after winning MVP?

Wilt and Moses Malone definitely were traded after MVP seasons, I'd need to check on Kareem...from memory it was the year after he was named MVP. All 3 won more than one MVP award too. This is why I'm banned from pub quizzes.........

The closest recent example is Westbrook, but he was traded 2 years after winning his. Harden's not far behind. Both of those were trending downwards however, Embiid is arguably at the peak of his powers.

Obviously the MVP didn't have a quick glance at the game stats because he'd see that Harris and Maxey outscored him and Tucker outscored Harden in game 7 and it's not as if MVPiid blew the Celtics away with his other stats - 8 rebounds and a solitary assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Draft lottery tomorrow night, most anxious I've been about the Blazers in a while.

If the pick lands #1 they obviously take Wemby and hold onto Dame.

3/4-7 I think they package it with Simons/Nurkic/more picks for the best player they can (Mikal Bridges please)

But what intrigues me is if they get a pick that could secure Scoot Henderson. He's a top player who would've gone first in a lot of recent drafts. I think if Portland get #2 it might actually be time to move on from Dame and rebuild around a backcourt of Scoot/Sharpe and a haul of draft picks and other young assets acquired in the trade.

• Advertisement

Kwame Brown giving the hot sauce to Ja Morant haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭johnnyk29

Would love if Portland got the number 1 pick, have my fingers crossed for Dame🤞

At his very best, LeBron was the best basketball player on the court - at EVERYTHING

This year’s vintage has lost a few steps compared to 7 years ago, as it absolutely should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I feel sorry for Memphis they looked on the brink of really pushing on but Morant as the franchise center piece is cursed. Hes gunna put himself outta the league. He's already cost himself 40m+ this year.

Not sure I feel sorry for Memphis. They curated a certain type of culture in how this team wanted to talk and behave, so they bear some responsibility here imo.

YMMV on this stuff, but I’d have no problem with his contract being cancelled tbh, for detrimental conduct. There are a lot of players on the other side of this particular issue and he’s waving his willy at a portion of the current NBA. NBA really in a tough spot here tbh.

Unbelievable player lucky, the most amazing thing is his injury record to play that long at that level is incredible.

I am still with Jordan as the goat and some posters here have made great arguments why it's still Jordan but if LeBron wins another title as MVP it's going to be a hard case to argue against...

I assume you have LeBron as the goat?..

Oh Jesus.

Seriously, do you really believe this? Or are you just trolling?

You're embarrassing yourself. You’re like a teenage girl at her first Harry Styles concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MickyBest

Wow, that's a lot of profanity. He doesn't seem to be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

All I can think is the refs didn't see the Niang front angle where you easily saw him holding Brown back. That TV replay came late

They have all the angles tv gets and more, and instantly.

The only thing I can think of is it was so “wtf was that?” he didn’t know what to do. But 2 issues with that - it’s Scott Foster, he’s possibly the most experienced ref left; and they get to talk to the refs in the replay centre….someone between them should have said that’s an ejection.

• Advertisement

Today's the day a franchise gets Wemby and a serious jump start towards competing.

I know it's hard to predict but is he a generational talent?...usually players over 7ft have a really hard time staying injury free...

There's always a chance a 7 footer gets hurt a lot, but it's not a guarantee, Kareem has the most minutes of all time and he's 7'2.

Wemby is legitimately 1 of 1 I believe, I have never seen a player do something like this before:

Yeah he’s a complete freak. You’d happily take the chance on him staying relatively healthy anyway.

For sure.

Also he's huge but he's not someone who is all about their physicality and hops which is the classic formula for the perennially injured.

Anyone predict who is going to get the number 1 pick? I have a feeling Houston will get it and San Antonio will get the the 2nd pick ...Imagine if the Spurs get the first pick 😳

Detroit record:17-65 chance of 1st pick 14.0%

Houston record:22-60 chance of first pick 14.0%

San Antonio record:22-60 chance of 1st pick 14.0%

Charlotte record:27-55 Chance of 1st pick 12.5%

Portland record:33-49 chance of first pick 10.5%

Hes also light built alright so there is maybe some worry about his potential durability.

But he is basically a very skilled point guard trapped in a giant centers body with bonus elite shooting. Like a French genetically cloned hybrid of Jokic and Durant.

7ft4 height and 8ft+ wingspan + his skills, its like someone hacked NBA 2k's create a player.

Do you think he will have to put on more muscle or could he be a Hybrid of Durant/Jokic?...

• Advertisement

If he gets into an NBA strength and conditioning environment he will pack on some muscle over the next few years, but he’ll always be naturally somewhat slight.

Advertisement