Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

There is another angle that doesn't really seem to be taken into account by many when discussing the strength of the team they put out.

If Cullen isn't giving at least some of the backup or developing guys opportunities in big games then it'll be tougher to keep them with the team. They grind all year in the league and then get booted out on mass when it comes to the knockouts.

There is also the experience gaining factor, part of Leinster's success is that they don't just rely on the same players every week and it helps players improve. We are blessed with riches in numbers but they don't just appear, we work to develop them and at times it can mean taking a risk. I don't think we'd feel nearly as comfortable with Ross starting in recent seasons in Europe if he hadn't gotten knockout game exposure when Sexton was rested.

The team at the weekend was good enough to win that match and we've beaten full strength Munster teams in Thomond with a weaker 23.

The reality is we didn't play great, lacked intensity at times and made some poor decisions. Munster showed a lot more hunger and aren't as soft as they were under VanGraan. You could say Cullen got it wrong, but in reality he put out a team in a semi final that had complete parity with a full strength opponent. As a squad there is a lot of learning from the loss - I was more disappointed with the semi final exit last year than with Saturday's result.

I hope Munster go on and win it, they owe it to their fans and if Leinster can win Europe then Irish rugby is in a great place going into the RWC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Cullen isn't giving at least some of the backup or developing guys opportunities in big games then it'll be tougher to keep them with the team. 

I'm fine with not keeping Nick McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

I get you're sore about this, but I never criticised the selection. Leinster where absolutely favourites for this match given Munster's casualties, they just didn't play that well on a day when the opposition brought the right tactics and intensity. Leinster won plenty of matches this season that they might have lost because younger and marginal players delivered big time. But, as is common with these Leinster teams, when the pressure comes on in knock out rugby at season's end there are uncharacteristic failures. You explain it by reference to luck and tight margins, but coaches and top players don't think like that. They look for reasons and things that can be changed so that tight losses turn into victories. And Leinster haven't won the league since it changed to include SA. It's a different league now. Things aren't going to get easier for Leinster, they're going to get quite a bit harder. SA teams will show up in Europe as they've done in the URC, and hopefully Munster can build next season on the progress they've made in the latter half of this one. At least we can assume the loss to Munster will galvanise the team and they'll go on to smash LAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I get you're sore about this

To be clear; it's you who is sore about it

I couldn't give a shyte about last Saturday

• Advertisement

And Leinster haven't won the league since it changed to include SA.

You're just saying Leinster didn't win the league this season nor last - you'd swear by how you're saying it they hadn't won it in a decade sample size.

It is even more ridiculous when SA teams being in the league had absolutely nothing to with them getting knocked out at the weekend.

That would be you dismissing Leinster's league record then. If Saturday doesn't matter then why point out that Leinster's's successes in the league shouldn't be ignored as you did earlier. Unless we wan to count the successes and explain away defeats. That's the style of some Leinster fans that Ive been commenting on, and it's resulted in an exaggerated opinion of the team, largely because of its success in a league that's not been very competitive until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Goes without saying that I am envious of Leinster being in a Heino final.

But oh my it's nice to have a week off from the nerves that plague you before a big game!

Bonne chance*!

*(to LEINSTER, before anyone gets grouchy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Perhaps Leinster should just pack up and leave!!! Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I had my first La Rochelle stress dream earlier during a lunchtime nap.

It's going to be a long week.

Do all the past European Cup wins get wiped off the board too because this year is the first with SA teams? Different competition and all that

"Stress dream" and "lunchtime nap" just seems so incongruous to me?

Your fundamental error is that you think the defeat on Saturday means something bigger. It doesn't. We picked a team with one objective in mind, and that was resting guys for the more important match. Winning against Munster would have been a nice bonus and no more.

I don't know what province you support but you're coming at it from a different perspective to Leinster fans. Like, yesterday Dublin won the Leinster football championship, 13 in a row, and the face on their captain when he was lifting the trophy would tell you everything you need to know about what it means to Dublin, i.e. f**k all. Now imagine the Louth captain getting to lift that cup, it would be the absolute highlight of his career. Dublin, on the other hand, know that they'll be judged on the All Ireland and only the All Ireland.

Leinster topped the league table at a canter, again. If we'd really wanted to win yesterday, we would have picked a very different 23. But Leo saw the abuse he got after the European final, he knows that people like you have been sharpening the knives for 12 months now. He knows that if he wins against LAR, then no-one will give two sh1ts about the URC, and he knows that if he loses against LAR, then winning the URC would have done nothing to quiet the abusers - so why on earth would he damage his chances of a European win with absolutely no payback?

If we could get past the English and French teams when it counted it would. The URC was a fairly handy league until recently, the SA teams have made it much more competitive. let's face it, Wales haven't put out a decent club side in years, Italian games are gimmes, Leinster's only trouble in recent years has been Scottish teams (very hot and cold) and Ulster and to a lesser extent Connacht. Frankly I think that has made things a little soft for Leinster given their resources, and it's showed against the best teams or teams playing really good games in Europe and increasingly in the URC. I also think a lot of Leinster fans are deluded by it, including myself. Seeing Leinster taken apart tactically in the last few years in Europe and then in the URC last year has been sobering and I think fans who explain it away as tight losses that might have gone the other way are naive. Beating LAR sets Leinster up really well for another period of growth and development post JS and Lancaster, but losing to them again will be a bit scary. That's a Toulon sort of outcome, as opposed to a Clermont one.

Your'e universalising from your own perspective. Leinster fans have one European cup in a decade, if you don't count the league that's like the Chiefs yet very few Leinster fans would regard Leinster as on the same level as the Chiefs. BECAUSE they are so dominant in the League. Yet the league, until the arrival of SA teams, was no great shakes so what is the elevated opinion based on? You don'y give a shite about the league yet you insist that the European losses are margin calls...but if they're not marginal losses, if they actually represent Leinster being outplayed and out thought consistently by sometimes lesser teams...then they're not as good as we thought they were, or maybe their coaches aren't as good.

I really can't imagine Cullen gives a thought to patter on boards.ie, at least I hope he doesn't and if he's picking teams based on that he should pack it in. Calling this abuse is ludicrous, grow up. I think we agree that the URC doesn't really matter to Leinster fans, (we'll ignore your earlier criticism of that reality) but there is no way on earth that the coach and players risk losing the URC because they are afraid of being criticised if they lose in Europe. Cullen wants to win in Europe because his record there is not very good and Leinster want to win the league every year, even if some fans don't rate it. The Dubs take the provincial championship for granted, they still win it. And they'll rightly get a bollicking if they don't.

Leinster have always struggled to fight on two fronts, even during the peak trophy winning years when the league was 'fairly handy'. I've sat and watched in the RDS and elsewhere them lose against teams they shouldn't have. It isn't even a Leinster problem, it is a nearly every side in rugby history problem.

Teams lose games against good teams, sometimes even against bad teams. It is even more likely when they choose not to put out their full strength side.

Any fan who thinks their team is invincible to a knockout competition is 'deluded' and must not watch much sport, as there are few sports/teams/people that are immune to those loses due to how random it can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We've never won the URC. The league immediately gained in prestige once the South African teams joined.

If we could get past the English and French teams when it counted it would. 

In 2021, we beat Exeter, the reigning European and English champions, on their home turf.

In 2022, we beat Leicester on their home turf, a month before they became English champions. Then we hammered Toulouse, the reigning French and European champions.

In 2023, we beat Leicester and hammered Toulouse.

Did none of these "count"?

• Advertisement

According to the record books Leinster are not marked as winners in any of those years. But you know that and you know the point Im making is not that Leinster have never beaten English or French teams.

Broader point, and possibly for another thread, is that I'd say the URC is now the #2 league in Europe, in terms of difficulty.

Or in other words, we're now ahead of the Gallagher Premiership. Two broad points I use to support this:

Munster will have beaten Glasgow, Leinster and Stormers to capture the title this season; could the GP present three opponents of that calibre? Sarries and Exeter sure, but it's a bit of a drop after that.

The other point is even more of a vibe, but I just don't see an English side winning the Heino for a good while yet. I see the next 5+ years being dominated by Toulouse, Leinster, LaRochelle, and then one (or more of) Sharks, Racing and Munster, depending on how respective rebuilds and new coaches go.

Yeah, the URC is a totally different prospect to the league it replaces. The presence of the SA teams has brought the level of competition up a serious notch. The other aspect to that is that it gets our players used to coming up against the Bokke players regularly which can only help Ireland's preparation. Playing against the likes of Am, Noche, Mbonambi, Etsebeth, Arendse, etc several times a season is one of the best aspects of the whole thing imo.

If the league is more prestigious, then Leinster surely deserve kudos for topping the regular season table at an absolute canter both times.

No?

I'd agree with it being #2 league in Europe but not due to that example.

Glasgow aren't anything to write home about - they'd end up consistently in that second tier in the premiership, as can be seen by them struggling with Bath who were poor this year and barely qualified for the CC.

URC teams have more internationals and are better suited to knockout rugby. More internationals is also a downside as they are missing more frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭mun1

While Leinster chose to field a weakened tram last saturday, munster were after getting battered by Glasgow the week before and POM’s arm just about hung on for an hour, they were also without the following players due to injury:

Snyman,Knox, Nash, fekitoa, Patterson, Murray, Conway, Zebo

Leinster possibly had about 8-11 of next weeks starters in this weekends match day 23 man squad , COnan, VDF, Baird, Kelleher, Healy, Alatoa, JOB, Henshaw, Ngatai, McGrath, Jenkins.

so not exactly a 2nd team , but if a few of Furlong, porter, Ryan, Doris, other Byrne, Ringrose, Lowe, Keenan were included, it would have been a much closer contest, especially up front. Leinster looked a bit lost in attack and couldnt adapt to Munsters defence.

best of luck this weekend, hopefully its as exciting a match as last weekends effort, but with Leinster winning this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If Leinster don't win on Saturday, Lancaster's tenure will have been objectively a failure and questions will rightly be asked of Cullen. One Heineken Cup in 6 years and bottling the league 2 years in a row isn't good enough for a squad containing the bulk of the no.1 ranked national team in the world and multiple internationals in every position.

You know he used "URC" and "league" interchangeably there, right?

Like, he wasn't actually suggesting that with SA teams now in the URC, it's more prestigious to top the league table.

As in, the thing that has never been rewarded, ever, since the Celtic League started in 2001?

Post edited by Neil3030 on

Glasgow were very much into a groove by the time the playoffs came around. I really do think most of the GP would have struggled going up there a few weeks ago.

I'm somewhat beating a dead horse since we both agree on the broader point, but another way to look at it - forget Leinster's "B team" from the weekend, I'd trust the Rhys Ruddock all-stars to go pretty damn deep into the GP playoffs. Final, even?

• Advertisement

Given that Glasgow and several other URC teams are stacked with internationals you'd expect them to go far in the GP. The URC has almost all the players from 4 of the 6N teams, GP from one. 3 or 4 URC teams would/should be in the top six in England.

Advertisement