Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Varadkar Excuse (King Charles III Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’m in no position to say what he should or shouldn’t do.

He saw fit to issue an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Well when he is there in an official capacity as the partner of the Taoiseach, he should have manners and know to cop the fuuck on. Why is it a complete nothingburger? It portrays Ireland in a bad light.

That is the cheapest low brow argument you can put out there.

Leo and his partner were there in a capacity representing all of us on the International stage. The role requires diplomacy and sensitivity at this particular event, especially as we have come so far and continue to navigate many post Brexit related issues together.

What Leo does in his private life is his own business and he is free to privately away from the event make these jibes with his partner.

However once again and quite publically the line has been crossed and the office he holds has been brought into disrepute. It reflects badly on the nation which is the capacity he was acting in.

The role he holds can not be messed around with like this. Your argument is absolute nonsense to be frank.

As Taoiseach I consider Varadkar to be well out of his dept, an ineffective PR Taoiseach. This is another in a long litany of poor judgements on policy issues and PR issues.

Incidents like this really confirm my opinion that he doesn't take his role as serious as he really should. Matt Barrett should have been well briefed on standards and expectations. That was Leo's mistake. Extremely poor judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

But if the outrage which you seem to think there is, isn't warranted, then surely he didn't need to apologise.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

When there's nothing left to say, a Simpsons meme can say it all...

Oh god you are now a member of the Cult of Leo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Steady on Donald, what are we gulaging him for now? Don't say treason....you're going to say treason aren't you?

We might be showing our age Yurt by using Simpsons memes.

It really is a complete nothingburger though. Leo was spotted looking for lunch once during a ceremony that took half the day. His partner made a few quips on social media about how preposterous it all was. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't still/getting pissed heading to it to be honest.

The recent outrage push going on really isn't working. It's actually refreshing to be able to talk about the increasingly small impact that social media will play in democracy.

The only issue here is snitching on someone from a private insta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭standardg60

You're in no position to say what he should do, but you're fine with telling the rest of us?

Leo's partner made a few quips on social media in the church when phones were not to be used. That's one of the reasons why there is outrage and if Michael D and his wife had done this I would be outraged too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Matt Barrett should have been well briefed on standards and expectations. That was Leo's mistake. Extremely poor judgement.

I'd argue that Matt Barrett shouldn't need to be briefed on how to behave as the guest of the Taoiseach representing the state. He's an educated adult, not a child.

Was Leo too busy picking his nose throughout the whole thing to notice his partner on his phone? Did it not occur to Leo to tell him to cop on and put his phone away? Am I expecting too much of the nose picker who made a joke about Monica Lewinsky when he was in the US for St. Patrick's Day?

Michelle O'Neill managed to avoid controversy, when a member of SF can show more respect than Leo at a British coronation you have to wonder what goes through Leo's head (apart from his nose-picking finger).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I misses the nose picking.

Did he get caught on camera?

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, apparently.

This is from Miriam Lord's article about the the pair of them.

'Their morning went from Hankiegate to Instagate.

As he entered the abbey and walked up the cloisters with world leaders, the Taoiseach was mortifyingly caught on camera vigorously picking his nose.' 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Quite a lot actually.

I think the man is completely incapable and underequipped for the office he holds. A PR Taoiseach and failed policy maker. I think he has had a litany of very poor judgements to include leaking sensitive documents. I think is oversight and leadership of his party ministers and cabinet performance has been extremely poor. I think it's no surprise that nearly all Government Departments are not on top of their briefs. Michael Martin obviously has a part to play there aswell although not to the level FG have and he is far more competent than Varadkar.

I think he is the epitome of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

And before someone jumps at me saying I'm a Shinner which seems to be the default argument for any dissent with the Government I'm not. I'm what would be considered by all the metrics a FG voter. High income earner who enjoys business friendly policy. Can't see it happening again with the vote though as I think the country is in a state of freefall. There's a balance to be struck and they are completely missing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Get a ferking life man.

Varadkar and successive Governments he's involved in are delivering the social and economic conditions to make this one of the wealthiest and most progressive and innovative and agile nations on the planet.

Sure, that creates some issues around being a victim of our own success, but for the vast, vast majority of people this is a land of the greatest opportunity and greatest personal freedom in the healthiest and safest environment you could find. In a global context? I wouldn't live any place else.

All this guff is, is begrudgery and homophobia, driven by a social media narrative of Varadkars political enemies.

Is he perfect? Far from it, he has no charisma and is easily baited and FG should have chosen Coveney, but his instincts are right and he delivers step-change and slays sacred cows and that's no bad thing.

In a world of Boris and Orban and Meloni and Erdogan and Trump and Bolsonaro and Xi and schools with gun detectors and 50% inflation and mass trafficking and Mexican murder gangs and California drought and Australia burning and Fentanyl, you think Varadkar picking his f**king nose is bringing his office in disrepute???

Some of ye don't know you're born....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

There are things to be "outraged" about.

This isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'm not a LV fanboy by any stretch but this comparison with Trump is in now way warranted. Trump isn't a self made anything. One would argue that Leo made it through medical school which is an achievement in itself and a tad more respectable than trumps achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah the usual "nothing to see here" folks have arrived. Throwing out accusations of homophobia to try and excuse and deflect from the latest gaffe by Leo and partner is new though! Not SF's fault then? Isn't that the usual go to?

It has feck all to do with who sleeps with who. Varadkar and partner were there in an official capacity representing the country at an important state event of our nearest neighbour - one which (like it or not) we are far closer to culturally and historically than any other, and who we share a responsibility with when it comes to NI.

In other words, how they portrayed themselves is actually pretty important, not just from the (you'd think) obvious perspective that pulling out your phone and acting like a teenager for the lols with your social media "friends" isn't the best idea, but also as it reflects on the country in all those other aspects as well.

That's the problem, not that he/they are gay, but sure ye know that anyway of course. No sale here though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I’ll admit I laughed out loud at some parts of the coronation snippets I saw, especially the panto costumes with the toilet paper streamers they were wearing. But, as a guest at an event, as my granny used to say if you’ve nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. He’s not representing me, as far as I’m concerned whatever he wrote is a reflection on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is there a link to the Instagram posts? I'd like to see what he said but I am not good with social media.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

This post is crazy, but unfortunately reflective of the level of thinking going on nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I wonder how many more lives will the media grant to Varadkar. Seems to me he gets a pass each time.

I can only hope enough vote him out of office. Never to be heard of again. Hard to see even what benefits he brings to FG.

I'd expect a leadership push post election. So, only a year or so before we see the back of him.

Advertisement