Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭cjpm

I was talking to hoof man on Wednesday. He said 9 out of every 10 yards he go into are reducing numbers. Either due to Nitrates or labour issues. Telling me about a big operation where the staff quit en masse one Friday evening. Over 300 cows. Word got out that 2 lads were leaving and the other 2 decided that they weren’t hanging around either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭mf240

You cant go out hoofpairing , or selling meal without a couple of storys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

All four were part time. 2 doing the milkings and the jobs for half the week and then the other two take over.

I know one of them well and it’s true alright.

True. But that being said a lot of lads around here are sick of the extra rooting and tearing the big numbers brought. Land a few miles away being leased and no one interested ( at what price I don’t know) - so no 500+ per acre being handed out around here. Different story other parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,703 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hoofpairing man was telling me of a local dairy farm were over Christmas 9 different people would be working on the farm. I'd believe it too.

Aye, always a good yarn or 2 from our hoofcare man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Average age of dairy farmers that are the boss on paper is 57, even farms with the younger generation already on farm, the rubber will meet the road in 10 years time when the parents have to pull back due to old age basically, a 200 cow parent and child operation well kitted out is doable with some relief milkers to take the pressure off, remove the parent and the wheels come of the wagon.....

Have a good relief milker here at the minute but it's costing a nice bit for the 5-6 milkings a week he does plus a few hours on a Saturday, he's coming away with 450 euro a week for about 20 hours work to retain the likes of him full-time your talking a 1000 a week gross, really doesn't stack up at current milk prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

When pressure comes on the system it always finds the weak spot, be that heavy ground, weather, management or numbers. Having a system that is resilient is key whether, milking, beef etc is key

The big question that has to be asked on the walkout is, has that farmer ever worked off farm. Spending time off farm really helps build the skill set for management of people, it's a very different skill set. I remember meeting my old principal of secondary school a few years ago, he kept a few sucklers, as a hobby. He said you could move the worst of worst cattle , but by god you couldn't move the worst of the worst kids and there parents. It's a very different skill set need to manage staff, especially if you have spent the majority of your career working the home place on your own.

Finally we all have to keep an eye on weak spots in our farming enterprises. For me it has to be working on reducing the hours

One local farm has lost a worker who had been there for 40 years. They're finding it very hard going with him gone. There's only so long you can keep going with out something having to give

• Advertisement

Its not just the rent fertilizer and contractors costs/sprays/fencing materials etc are all up massively, taking 2020 as a reference year, it was costing us circa 7 c/l to rent ground fertilizer and pay contractor bills to get silage/maize into pit, for next year 2024 existing landowner in one case wants an extra 250 euro a acre rent, other man is so so, let's say he wants the same....

At 450 a acre this puts another 3c/l on production costs per litre and you can easily add on another 3c/l for fertilizer and contractors etc, the maths simply don't work out at a sub 45c/l milk price at current input costs, will be milking alot less cows here next year I'd say but it's a better option than going broke

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Hyland17

Quick question what is current cost of production at the minute? Say on own ground without much debt? Personally I find it hard to see how ground at 500an acre is paying. Rough ground around me is around 450 with entitlements going back to owner so I'm told. I'd hate to see repayments on bigger farms that increased massively over the last few years with intrest rates going up and no sign of them coming back anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭older by the day

Did we not spend a week discussing a week ago about the breed of dairy cow. In high milk price years the high yield cow will make a lot of money but the handy cow works better with a tight margin.

That maize and whole crop and beet are great feeding but it's a lot of expense. Would grass and 3kgs of nuts be better in the long run? Let them milk what they milk. Tell the milk lorry driver to Fire the collection docket in bin when he calls lol.

Cow type is irrelevant on a basis where a good chunk of ground has to be rented, it's not feasible either way, with grain prices easing considerably it makes no sense growing maize/beet on rented ground and costs to then grow it....

Debt levels and needing a certain output to cover bank commitments is what's driving land rental prices, and hoping milk prices rebound next year to make up for losses occurred this year, the issue I see with grain prices softening indoor housed herds might keep the taps on if the feed to milk price ratio makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmertipp

plus 1. it always seems to happen that milk price stays weak while grain price is lower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

Agreed buy I definitely happened in one yard this Yr I no that first hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Renting ground like that and building up a herd and facilities based on the ground remaining available never made sense in the first place. The scenario you describe is like being in a hole and keep digging

I wouldn't be at it myself, but theirs alot of yards where the banks have the deeds to the place and their working of needing rented ground now be it for nitrate reasons our simply to keep stock feed, in all fairness no one foresaw conacre making 500 plus euro a acre 3 years ago.....

Cashflow is what the big dairy operations need to keep constant alot of commitments now be it rent/bank loans/ hp on machinery/wages they can't simply cut back numbers from 300 to 150 and stay solvent in alot of cases, you only have to look at some of the grasstec videos theirs units easily after spending the guts of 4k plus a cow on facilities, with no expense spared, you half cow numbers you double debt levels per cow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Dunedin

So lad decides to spend ‘hundreds of thousands without considering the conversion costs or labour required’

Your skills are lost Bass… you should be running the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Twas over 40c last year. To date feed has come down maybe 10% from peak, fert is dropping but a good share of this years allocation was put out at maybe 10 to 15% below peak prices if not forward bought and the long spring mean costs have not come down so far yet this year in comparison to last year. Lads replenishing winter feed and perhaps repairing damaged paddocks will need a decent summer to stay under control cost wise with milk price down 30% so far.

A lot of this will reign in rents to some degree but every farm and situation is different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I suppose milking cows is rocket science most of the labour ( milking, machinery driving, AI, physical labour etc) involved is sub 15 euro/hour work.

It not rocket science to have an insight into what is often profitable and unprofitable.

It not exactly rocket science to understand that 500+/acre makes ABSOLUTELY no sense whether for conacre or for leases.

Labour is a cost above 100 ish cows. A fulltime labour unit is probably around 42k minimum now for a year inc employer PRSI and insurance. In a full employment economy a lot of part time will want cash at around 20/hour for short hours (3ish per day).

Very few 220 cow husband and wife operations most are father and son operation and there is no long term plan for removal of one of those labour units or a plan if anything happens to one of those labour units.

That is what is call a ''Oops'' story.

Heard of a tillage conversion that is gone straight to250 cows and six months in if he could roll it back he would.

When you are at a job where you are working but able to talk ( very few farms a good parer goes into will the farmer not be standing talking to him as he works. You will hear a lot of stuff in 30-40 minutes not to mind in a couple of hours.

Usually if it doesn't make sense on paper it gets worse as you put it into practice. Say thanks to the lads that paid 600/ acre this year. While there are dairy farmers locally they are not in the majority however the renewal rates for leases are up 150/ acre locally, it causing beef lads to walk away.

IMO it going to get worse SCBI loans are mostly variable and will be @6+% by year end. A lot of large dairy operation's will have 250k on that money.

It will depend on how intensive the operation is, whether they have to push calves out the gate at ten days and cull cows walking out of the parlour etc. In a decent well run operation you can probably still keep it below 18c/L.

Grain is softening faster on continental Europe than it is here and it is going to go lower unfortunately. There is a sh!tload of grain in storage in the Ukrainian and Russia will will flood out of there in the next 12-18 months.

There is a lot of long-term leases 10+ years that have rent reviews build in. With the present stupidity the costs of these will jump from 250-400+. Many of these leases are for standalone units.

The problem with dairying is for the last five years lads have kept digging no matter what medium term issues were pointed out ( calves quality or age before sale, slurry storage, housing, nitrates etc) the answer has always been to rent more land.

There was plenty of warning signs but most of those types of operations ignored them. It was plough on more cows and more land was the answer, everything has a limit.

Believe it or not Dunedin it's exactly that. Did the farmers paying 500+/HA and maybe BLISS on top to owner in the last 6-8 months think milk would be heading for sub 40c/ L and it may not stop there.

Many significant expansions are/ were father and son operations where the loss of one labour unit is not factored in as well many younger lads that have gone head first into dairying have not factored in how long it will take to service the debt they have accumulated at what was a sub zero Central Bank rate

You could have got 100k++ off SCBI loans last year and have it in the account within a week.

For the last five years some large operations have operated outside of TAMS limit (70k or even 140k for a father and son operation) as this was needed nearly every year

You might sneer, but wait and watch what will happen in the next two years if milk goes and stays below 35c/L.

Heard a good one today where a large dairy operation were planning to put paddocks into bales for quality feed. As rolls of plastic are 115/ roll( I can buy at 107) the whole lot is going into the pit.

This is an operation that put in a new parlour, bulk tank, roadways, drainage, road tunnel, new silage slab etc in the last 3-4 years.

I just found this hilarious when I heard it this morning. Several hundred K in development costs and a couple rolls of plastic would break the bank 🤣🤣.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

All the answers and plenty shite mixed in as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭older by the day

All that for two thanks. It is a tough world sometimes. People should not get excited yet. Surely all the extra thousands that were made last year are in an account some where. Most have a nice cushion for a uncertain year. No one expected milk to stay at 55cent/L. but hopefully costs and price will settle. As long as Putin don't NUK the UK and start www3. By the way where are all this cheap grain. I gave 460 for 15percent dairy last week

You need to shop around for your feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You are really wasted ,some expert alright able to keep mik production cost below 18c/litre where it is probably 36c/litre

Go away back to cuckoo land !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

Farcical ahaha I suppose he has 500/head out of whatever beef cattle he keeps if he’d be able to produce milk at 18c!!

As for his plastic story god forbid someone treats farming as a business and makes the more sensible financial and business decision, this is how every other business sector would operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

Some lads can only see problems, the rest of us see opportunities and solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

All while buying expensive round bale plastic too like. Some man alright. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmertipp

dairygold down 2 cent for April. 40 cent including bonus and vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The question was on own land with little or no debt debt and I was allowing for cows numbers to be below 100 do little labour.

I think national average production is 6k litres. @ 18c/ L it's nearly 1.1k/ cow . Two farms near me are such operations. One is 160 owned and about 25 rented 70-80 cows being milked and all calves finished. Second is a out 100+ cows 200 acres owned and 50 rented drystock operation as well, but they sell about 50% of drystock as yearlings or stores.

Neither do a whole pile of reseeding, one dose all there own bales. I doubt if either has cow costs of a thousand per head. Both would only develop within TAMS limits. Both operations have been similar for the last twenty years.

I buying maize/Barley/hulls at 360/ton with minerals ( it's bought a month so might be a tad cheaper now). Doubt if the magic mix you are getting is worth 100/ton more. We are very slow to get price of I puts down in Ireland. However Poland and other Eastern European countries were complaining about the effect of Ukrainian grain on there grain industry. Anyway I said it will flood late this year and next year as the war ends

If I include farm payments I am very comfortably above not inc GLAS, that would push me above six. I have seen little sensible and financial business decision in milk by dairy operation over the last couple of year. The answer to every problem was rent more land and throw more money at it.

I not sure if you are scarastic or not, I met a former work colleague about a month ago. We were laughing about the same thing in a different scenarios. As he said, ''we spend our working lives problem solving, to the extent where you often solve it before it happens''

Bale and clamp silage are are the same price to make if the draw is short. The only time it's dear is when you cannot get it. A bit like ration he never priced around.

I agree with that. You have to shop around for everything. Know jads locally two large much more progressive than the two earlier farm outfit. Both with 150+ cows on small land bases. They are buying there fertilizer off Kerry ( we suspect as they need the credit). I got Fertilizer landed to me today at 150/ton for Urea and 100 for 18's cheaper than they quoted me last week. Shopping around is key.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement