Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord here,rent increase question.

Options
  • 16-05-2023 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi,slightly out of the loop in recent times,just a quick question on how much I can/cant increase the rent by.

Ive a tenant in the property 5/6 years,ive never put up the rent in that time!.The rent they are paying is well below the current rate for the area.Property isnt in a rent pressure zone.

The lease is up in July,everything above board,RTB,1 year lease,can someone tell me what i can/cant do.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Dont have any time period or amount in the lease anymore for a start. They only apply to the landlord and can only tie you down. They dont appy to the tenant at all.

For the rent increase there is a calculator on the RTB website. It also tells you what you have to provide and the notice you have to give for the rent increase.

All the info you need in in the link from the RTB above. Outside of a RPZ you can bring the rent up to market rates but need to provide rent examples from three similar properties in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

How can I have a lease with no time period or amount?, is that possible?.Im just trying to get a bit more orgsnised with the property,been a bit lax in recent times.Ive been using the same lease agreement template for years!.

I had a look ,it says 90 days notice for rent increase,the current (1 year) lease is up in July does that still apply?.Ive a great relationship with the tenant,any increase wound still have the overall rent they pay well well below the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Daft is probably the easiest or a local paper if they are still advertised in it. You will have to give the tenants 90 days notice using the forms supplied on the RTB website.

The term in the lease does not mean much its more a guarantee for the tenant that you wont remove them in that timeframe, once part 4 has kicked in the tenant can just give you the required notice and there is not much you can do if they want to leave before the lease is up. Most leases would define a term at the start, after 6 months part 4 kicks in so ongoing leases are not really required. Most leases would have a condition that states the terms in the lease continue when the term of the lease expires and the tenant continues renting the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Just leave the notice periods and any reference to time or amounts out of the lease. It doesnt matter what you put in the lease for these things, they dont count for the tenant, but they do for you if they are more disadvantageous than the legislated values.

Advertisement