Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

It's not a phrase I use often but this would really boil your piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Suppose someone has to buck the trend of landlords running for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Seen a documentary a few years ago where high end apartment blocks in London where all are sold and were in complete darkness at night...reason being all the apartments were bought by chinese people and just left there , as said earlier they just needed to get money out of China because of CCP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The joke a few years go in London was: You know it is bad when the Russians start to complain about unaffordability..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

There's a few indian families on our estate too - definitely more than Chinese at the moment. They're also cracking families to have around - they threw an all-invited party for the Holi festival in our local green area. When my daughter fell and cut her knee, there was practically a queue of doctors ready to put a plaster on her 😆 It's quite comforting to know a couple of doctors are close by.

I do feel a bit for the Irish couples that are trying to buy through. Clay Farm was an "affordable" option a few years ago for those who grew up in Stillorgan/Dundrum/Foxrock and were priced out of those suburbs. It seems they'll soon be priced out of here too, certainly if every second hand house is snapped up by clients of this Carrickmines agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think in London it was the Russians. I agree the Chinese are buying just like the Russians to park their cash on something that will hold value.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I was in London in the late 2000s. Was definitely the Chinese doing this as well as buying apartments for their kids who were studying there. I was amazed at the amounts of property just lying empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There were a couple interviewed on radio a few months ago, they kept meeting the same lady at house viewings. They got talking to her thinking she was the same as them, looking for a place to live. The lady explained that if the couple saw her there, there was no point in bidding on the property, she was a buyer for Chinese clients and said she/they will outbid any other bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Hansfield in Dublin 15 seems to be the suburb of choice for the Indian community in Dublin. Not sure if that means prices are going for higher there than they otherwise would but its understandable that if the interested buyers want to move to an area where many of their peers have established themselves already and they have the financial means to do so, then they are probably prepared to pay over the odds to secure a home in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

The Chinese bought basically everything in glencairn gate as well, its been a thing in south Dublin for about 18 months now, most great condition 4+ family homes are being bought by them. Thought it would've dried up once the Visa scheme was culled, but plenty still filtering through.

Zero percent mortgages from the Chinese govt was another one I heard from a friend who successfully bid against such a couple, not sure how true this is though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Well I think that the Chinese buyer of my grandmother's house did specifically say that he intended to rent the property, but beyond that, I've no idea what's going on with Chinese buyers. I do know that one Chinese investor own three houses on the street with my other (still living) grandmother lives. Two of those properties are rented whilst she (the Chinese investor) lives in a third house.

Hmm. I have nothing against foreign buyers, but this is a practice that I find very questionable. I'm reminded of how, during Celtic Tiger years, some Irish people would go to Eastern European cities and buy apartments. This was unfair to locals of these cities as the Irish buyers had access to far more funding, and thus prices were driven up.

In my opinion, owning property in any country should be the purview of citizens only.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

The Chinese stuff might have been to get a passport. If you invest a million you get the passport. That loophole was closed a while back....

Chinese buying property in Australia is also a huge thing.

They don't rent the properties out and most don't pay management fees, there are a lot of developments in Australia that are in trouble as they don't collect enough in fees to cover costs.

Having property outside of China helps with visa applications and it also ensures they have a sellable asset the CCP cannot touch if things go wrong.

In a way we should appreciate the foreign investment in our rental sector, they are the only ones willing to invest/take a chance on rentals. Without them, the rental sector would be much worse as not all renters can afford to buy, particularly with rates rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Would you prefer to be shot in the head or the foot?

An affordable and functioning property market is what the hard working young people of this country deserve.

Being thankful of the big foreign investment which has enabled people in their 30s to house share at nearly 50% of their income is a slap in the face IMO.

Thankful for foreign investment is like the soup during the famine. Thanking the British for giving you soup after they orcastrated a famine.

Finished?

Im not saying it is ideal, or even preferable, but you have to be a bit of a clutz not to realise that with Irish landlords leaving the market, people who cannot, or do not wish to buy, need some place to rent. If they were not in our market, there would be even less rental properties, and even higher rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Would you thank OPEC for creating a lovely cartel that provides the world with the oil it needs?

I'm sorry, I'm clearly not finished.

Please don't take these comments as an attack against you. It isn't.

I'm a fan of the free market. But the property market in this country looks very fishy. You would have to be a bit of a "clutz" to not realise the corruption going on.

• Advertisement

There is a conspiracy theories forum.

You can blab on about the way it could be, should be, will be or won’t be, but there is now the way it is. And without the rental properties provided by foreign investment, then the rental sector would be even worse as domestic owners exit the market.

You might say that without all these investors, more people would be able to buy, but it is unlikely that many units would not have been built without forward financing and you have to accept, not everyone wants/can buy, so we need rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its too legally/logistically difficult to make buying property here for citizens only. A decently high property tax is the best way to prevent or at least significantly reduce foreign buyers though.

Tax property at 1-3% of value per year, with a rebate/exemption for low and middle income households that are tax resident, and you'll make Irish property far less attractive to foreign owners buying it just to park cash. And raise lots of revenue for the state as a bonus on top.

Something like a system that worked out to 0% property tax on households with income of up to 100k per year, 1% property tax per year on households with income up to 200k, 2% property tax per year on households with income up to 300k, and 3% property tax per year on all others (including non tax-residents) would be fairly hard to argue with on a moral level and would do wonders.

You could even have an additional failsafe if required that if households are asset rich/cash poor and unable to pay the tax on a yearly basis thats fine, the tax bill will just be retained as a lien over the property that will be charged at sale or transfer of the property. Again minimizing the impact to actual Irish residents, nobody ever loses their house or faces poverty, but it reduces the attractiveness of a house as an investment asset hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

On the greenway side of the Clay Farm development in D18 (I walk it very often as live nearby), I believe there are three Indian families in a row moved into the new houses recently occupied - I'm guessing the area is extremely attractive to people working in Microsoft, etc... in Sandyford, being a 10 minute drive away and a few stops on the Luas, so always think 'software engineers' when I seem them! Probably an offensive generalisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

China has very strict capital controls on the outflow of money from the country. For local Chinese people, there is a USD $50,000 annual limit on money transferred outside of mainland China. There are of course ways around this, however it is very complicated and comes with risk (not only to loss of capital but loss of freedom!).

Also AFAIK, Chinese residents are also restricted from buying houses overseas. Immigration is the only legal way if they want to buy property abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Our neighbours house initially went sale agreed 50k above asking to a cash Chinese buyer last year. Sale eventually fell through. But, I Thought it was a little odd at the time, but seems from reading here it’s common place for what ever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Loophole closed last February.

https://www.ft.com/content/00c75b49-4390-4c08-a4d0-529b6d7d2942

Doesn't seem to have made much difference in the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Ive a friend from China and he has bought a house here. He also scouts out houses for other Chinese people to buy here and they buy them. Last year he even organized for another Chinese person to buy a shop in Artane.

Last time I was talking to him about 2 weeks ago he had another one he was bidding on for someone in China. He shows them around on facetime and deals with the EA here. Doesnt seem short of clients. And thats not even his day job. Its just a side job for him.

It's not whether it's contributing to the housing crisis or nay. Citizenship is not something to be sold....

However, it's good that this particular avenue has been terminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Have you figures on how many developments were directly funded by funds. Maybe its just the media but it would appear most of their property was either built or in development when purchased by funds, even moreso with social housing.

With regard to conspiracy theroies, I'm sure it's pure accident that FG is worried about the td's they are loosing to the lobbying industry and how the result of that lobbying has stacked the property market in favour of funds to the detriment of traditional LL's and tennants.

We can rule out that they have found a more efficient way to bleed the taxpayer, they're just trying to help create more supply

It just unfortunate that there no longer td's as my opportunity to show my gratitude at the ballot box has been taken away from me. Such a shame

• Advertisement

I think that we need to stop throwing about the label "conspiracy theory" to dismiss an argument. It's akin to calling someone "far-right" if they raise genuine concerns regarding immigration.

Advertisement