Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for a novice

Options
  • 15-05-2023 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Don't shoot me lads but I've made a few enquiries and keep getting conflicting responses so thought I'd chance here

I wish to lease some land and raise cattle, nothing big (15-20 total). I have no background in farming other than assisting on my partners family farm and have yet to start the green cert course.

I am 36 years old so wont qualify for the young farmers grant however I was wondering what grants I would be eligible for, if I where to go ahead and get the ball rolling now even without the green cert.

Cheers

Post edited by Paddy_87 on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

You might be just as well to go to an independent advisor in your area and give them a year's fee for some advice: https://aca.ie/findmembers/

A few things that might help:

• You will qualify as a young farmer until you're 40, but you need the green cert completed. You can do it part-time or full-time. If you have a degree from another area, then there are special courses you can do as well to get your green cert
    • You might qualify for free/new entitlements as a 'new entrant' and/or a 'young farmer'. These can be activated on any land you're farming and are an annual income (for now anyway). They range in value from €100-ish upwards but are converging to around €200-ish at the moment. The figures are not definitive but these are ball-park
    • There are TAMS grants if you want to build a shed/yard/crush/etc.: https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/0e509-tams-3/

Most important of all thou: Why do you want to farm? What will you sell - finished cattle? Stores? Dairy-cross or suckler-bred? Then think about where in the country are you trying to lease land, coz it's expensive at the moment. Good land is going for €500/acre in strong dairy areas

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

Not to be over negative but what you’re aiming to do will be an expensive hobby. If you’ve no buildings, and may be downed t on selling before the winter then you’ll make very little margin. Add on to that €400+/acre for land rent and the odds are you’ll be losing money. If that’s what you want to do then I would say it’s good to be getting experience but for the amount of grants you’ll be getting it won’t be worth it. Unless you manage to find naked ground then you will more than likely be handing over the BISS to the landlord as is customary (for right or wrong). So my advice is unless you’re willing for the hobby to cost you 4/5000 then don’t go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Paddy_87

Thanks lads, so basically the farm I am looking at has only recently been given up. It was suckler farm, slated house, sheds with good grass land for grazing, silage etc. All cattle have been sold off so it will be a case of starting from scratch.

I am only in the mental prep stage of things so really want to just get some honest advice before diving deeper. I have made it known locally that I am available for assistance however as some of you may know a complete novice like myself can be more of a hindrance than a help and patience wouldn't be a strong point where I'm living (jokes)

I have applied for the level 6 in agriculture however as this isnt actually the green cert I was wondering would it be best to just leave it off and wait until Mayo have places available, however this will be next year.

This is a lifestyle that I want to live and isnt a decision that I would be making lightly so do know that it will be difficult initially however if the animals at least covered the majority of my costs I would be happy. I know full well that this will not be profitable however it is a passion that I have developed.

Thanks again for any and all advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

The most important question is…..who is going to inherit your partners farm? (Assuming your partners parents are still in control).

What you are thinking of doing is madness financially. The financial barrier to entry with out land is close to impossible overcome. How big is that farm? If the land is good you can forget about it I think. It will make ££££££ such that you won’t be close to it unles ls you are willing a large loss.

But farming is a wonderful lifestyle a lot of the time, and wonderful for children to be reared around.

The farm was recently passed to my partners brother and is a one man show so no assistance wanted or needed from any outside parties at the moment.

I appreciate the advice mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Advertisement