Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Wait. Does this mean I shouldn't have got URC TABLE TOPPERS 2023 tattooed across my back?

No. I won't start second guessing myself.

It just seems odd that people would be saying the league is much tougher now but also being top of said league table twice is no indication of a team's quality.

Or that a team can't beat quality French and English teams despite repeatedly beating quality French and English teams.

The one difference between Leinster and the other URC teams is none of the others had to fight on two fronts the last two years. And as the URC gets tougher, that becomes a bigger ask.

For all the quality and depth of La Rochelle, two weeks after they won Europe they got thumped by Toulouse in the Top 14 QFs. The previous year, LAR got to both finals and lost both. Toulouse won the Top 14 last season and got hockeyed by Leinster, now they've topped the table again... and got hockeyed by Leinster again. When Toulouse did win the double in 2021, they had 4 weeks between the European final and their first Top 14 playoff.

Leinster aren't an outlier in failure here. Maybe LAR can pull it off this year but you'll get very good odds on it. This isn't easy, hence my utter conviction that Leinster were right to rotate the squad as much as they did on Saturday.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Leinster rotated for the URC pretty much all year. When you've got the depth in quality they have it's a smart move.

What do you think is going to happen if you don't give players opportunities?

So the likes of Ala'alatoa, Molony, Deegan, Ruddock, Byrne x 2, O'Brien x 2, Ngatai, Kearney have played a lot in the URC. Is it fair to drop them all because you reached the semi-final?

Well I don't think so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hardly. You get nothing for topping the league. Knockout games are where it's at and Leinster have shat the bed repeatedly when it mattered.

It's the #2 league by virtue of the Premiership collapsing in on itself, let's be honest.

Leinster have shat the bed repeatedly when it mattered.

You only think this is true because you and the other one have decided that the only games that "matter" are the ones we lost. So by definition, you're right, because you invented a defintion to make yourself right. Well played.

Winning multiple Pro14s? Doesn't matter.

Beating all these English and French teams in quarter and semi-finals? Doesn't matter

Finding it hard to win tough play-off games week after week after week? THEY'VE SHAT THE BED

Prioritise one tournament over other? SEE, BED-SHITTERS, TOLD YOU

I'm not going to persuade you but I think you're being way too hard on them. There's no team you can point to that has managed to do what you expect of Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you are calling the URC the second highest tournament quality wise in Europe then how many teams would beat La Rochelle, Toulouse and Racing 92?

I think the only team I'd put on or above their level is Leinster. I know Racing had a bad year but that's all it was, one bad year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,345 ✭✭✭✭phog

If Leinster hadn't a game this weekend would Leo have rotated last weekend, me thinks not, a lot more of those players sitting in the stands would have been playing.

Despite your attempt to normalise the rotation, the rotation happened for one reason and one reason only and to be fair any other team with that amount of quality would do exactly the same thing if in the same situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd say any of Ulster, Munster, Stormers, Sharks and Bulls would be a good match for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Fierce amount of bullshit going on in here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster are considered dominant in Europe because they are. Yes it’s one win but also beaten finalists twice. Beaten semi finalists 3 times. Leinster are consistently amongst the top teams in Europe in the last 10 years. Bar one or two years.

Does that mean the league doesn’t matter, no it doesn’t. Which is why we have topped the regular season for the last 2 years. Even with the SA teams in it. However none of the other URC teams are in Europe at this point. So they don’t have the same demands. We gambled last week and didn’t go strong enough on the bench. We lost by a point, to a late DG. The gamble wasn’t far off being correct. I’m still a little annoyed we didn’t go with one of JGP, RB or RR on the bench though.

• Advertisement

Leinster beat Munster and Stormers twice in the league but both of those teams are in the final (Stormers for the second time in a row). When all is said and done, those defeats don't matter to the finalists. Those victories don't matter to Leinster who would have made the play-offs regardless, but the knock-out defeat did matter. It ended their domestic season.

Leinster won all those titles because they won the final, not because they had accumulated the most points over the season.

You can lose 7 or 8 times in the league and still win it once you win your three knockout games, i.e. the ones that matter on an individual match level.

New Zealand beat everyone repeatedly for 24 years but when it really mattered, in the World Cup, they shat they bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The connection being lost of course here is that Ireland are the number 1 ranked team in the world largely due to the work being done by these coaches in Leinster...

100% agreement.

How do you see the team for this weekend? Do you put Conan or Baird on the bench for impact after 60 mins? Start Molony or Jenkins?

My team would be:

Keenan, J O'Brien, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe, R Byrne, Gibson Park, Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Molony, Ryan, Baird, Van der Flier, Doris.

Reps: Kelleher, Healy, Ala'alatoa, Jenkins, Conan, McGrath, H Byrne, Ngatai.

It may seem harsh for Conan not to start, but I think Baird has been just excellent of late, and Conan will bring huge impact off the bench alongside Kelleher, Healy, Jenkins etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think Conan will certainly start, beyond that the only calls are Molony/Jenkins I suspect Molony starts, is Lowe okay to start and then who gets the 23 jersey.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Conan starts, but I would go with Doris at 8 and Baird at 6.

I think whoever doesn't start in the 12 shirt between Henshaw or Ngatai gets the 23 shirt. It would mean a bit of rejigging if we get an injury in the back three, but there isn't a back three players for me who is holding their hand up for the 23 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think you probably put out the same team again from the weekend. Give them a chance to redeem themselves against La Rochelle.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,800 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d be amazed if Conan doesn’t start tbh.

He’s a player I thought had lost a lot of form over a 12 month period or so (which coincided with his medical issues) but since the middle of the 6 Nations or so he’s been brilliant. Probably better than his Lions form tbh.

I think Larmour v JOB is the only real call in the backs (if Lowe is really OK). Henshaw looks to be fully fit so he'll start at 12 IMO.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Baird start at the second row, Doris at 6 and Conan at 8. Would be harsh on Molony but still.

If Lowe is okay, then JOB versus Larmour isn't even a call for me anymore - I'd think its JOB in a slam dunk decision. I don't have enough faith in Larmour not to make a big mistake tbh. JOB has had a significantly better season than him, and links the play far better.

If you start Larmour, then JOB is an obvious guy for the 23 jersey, but I think JOB has to start.

The problem with Baird in the 4 shirt is how much the LHP seems to struggle in the scrums then. I think it'll be Ryan & Jenkins in the row, but I'd go for Molony & Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Well if we're reducing Leinster to essentially a development training camp for the national team, then I guess they've been incredibly successful. But if we're treating them as a rugby team who's purpose is to win things, then they've objectively underachieved over the last 6 years.

100%

JOB is a superior rugby player to Larmour currently, even if Larmour has a bit more "x" factor.

However one of the reason id have JOB over Jordan currently is that jordan hasnt been able to show that X factor too often this season.

In all seriousness though I think I'd go for:

1. Porter
    2. Sheehan
    3. Furlong
    4. McCarthy
    5. Ryan
    6. Baird
    7. van der Flier
    8. Doris
    9. Gibson-Park
    10. R. Byrne
    11. Lowe
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. J. O'Brien
    15. Keenan
    16. Kelleher
    17. Healy
    18. Ala'alatoa
    19. Jenkins
    20. Conan
    21. McGrath
    22. H. Byrne
    23. Ngatai

Not sure on the leaving Conan out bit though. He's been a big player for Leinster and Ireland over the past 6 months or so.

But if we're treating them as a rugby team who's purpose is to win things, then they've objectively underachieved over the last 6 years.

if winning 5 cups in the last 6 years is considered "under achieving" how do we categorise the other three irish provinces performances in that time, summing to a grand total of zero cups between the three of them?

Is munster ulster and connachts "purpose" not to win things?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Conan has to start, his form in the last 3 months has been as good as he ever was. On both sides of the ball he is excellent. Obviously moving Doris to 6 has its drawbacks but it also creates space that Conan can exploit. Baird will be a great impact sub to have in the last 30 of the game.

I’d agree totally with FTD, JOB all day ahead of Larmour. For everything Larmour can bring in attack, his defence is still a problem. Also JOB is a much better link player. Is Larmour actually fit?

Jenkins will bench, I’m not sure he’s shown enough to displace Moloney.

yeah id very very similar to that line up.

The big call is whether you bench Baird for conan, and put Doris at 6. its 50/50 for me. Conans recent performances demand a start, yet Baird can do things no other rugby player of his size can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That's a smashing side, but I would consider starting Jenkins or Joe McCarthy with Ryan, and have Molony to come off the bench.

Just think the physicality level will be through the roof and not convinced Molony would be the best choice.

Baird over Conan is a fair enough call in that regard also. Deegan was good at the weekend also, if being ruthless with selection I wonder if there's a chance he gets in ahead of Conan?

If Larmour is fit I'd consider him for the 23 jersey also.

Best of luck at the weekend to Leinster, I'll be cheering for ye anyway!

Fair call on Joe McCarthy - think he's had good cameos against the Sharks and Munster, but just doubt he's had enough time to push himself into the trio.

I'd be shocked if Ross Molony isn't in the 23.

There aren't too many other positions of contention - though you could definitely make an argument for picking Ngatai ahead of Henshaw at 12 on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

The other 3 provinces don't have the no.1 ranked national squad in the world

• Advertisement

I wonder if Farrell was selecting it would he go for Baird in the second row alongside Ryan, with Doris and Conan both starting in the backrow, and McCarthy and Deegan (?) benching

Advertisement