Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deodorants and toiletries in general

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Warehouse chemist in fairness is good, I noticed in it one day panadol actifast at 1.99 (10 pack) but in tesco i see it at 3.20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Those Tesco clubcard deals or rather the nominal prices of those items are quickly becoming absurd indeed. Fair enough to offer a discount in exchange for the data on your shopping habits, but Tesco appears to have reversed the idea - with the clubcard you often pay an avg market price, but without it it's a daylight robbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Even with the increase in prices in aldi and lidl I have no idea how anybody in this day in age would even darken the door of Tesco and Dunnes.

Dunnes seems to be the lesser of the two offenders but tesco is gone on an awful gouge-rampage. The selection of meats in my local tesco is dire also - the aldi next door has much much more. Even my local supervalu who I have been critical of in the past is working out much better value than Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭CrazyEric

Any time I am in the North I pick up all my toiletries, I have a cupboard full of Shower gels ( his and hers) Shampoo and Conditioners. All female hygiene products, toothpaste and toothbrushes. A good example is pain medication...Paracetamol, 39P for 16 in Asda. Ibuprofen 45P for 16.

I also try and time my trip for when there are booze deals such as

so 36 cans of Magners 440ml is £22. That is about £1.40 per litre. It is made in Ireland and the best Tesco have is €3.88 per litre.

Rip Off Republic is alive and well. Didn't take Lidl and Aldi too long to get in on the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭StonedRaider

Been doing the same since 2007. Up to Sainsbury's and Asda once every 3-4 months to bulk buy. Good to have family 20mins away from the border. Remember some years back when a lot of northern businesses were offering £1=€1 deal

If you know how to work the system, Dunnes is the cheapest by far for groceries 😉. Never paid for anything there full price since they started their money off vouchers some 5years ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's been going since September 2014 so nearly nine years now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Anti histamine tabs in boots uk cheapest at £0.03 per tab. Cheapest on boots.ie ……..€0.40

They are different brands, don’t have the exact same available on both sides of the border so that’s probably their excuse but the underlying med is more or less the same in them all

12 times the price….. that’s scandalous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

It's very easy to sign up for a UK Tesco card and you get the number immediately. Manually add the number to whatever wallet you are using and you are good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks bromley52. The teaco staff member said we couldn't sign up, so we didn't even try. Will do that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 beaniefan

Another tip I use for when planning shopping trip up north, trolley.co.uk is UK price comparison site, handy for checking price of items in asda, tesco, sainsburys etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I use Superdrug online for my stuff , stock up when the special offers on deodorant/ shower gels etc are on offer, they are very good value , listed as Uk prices and I collect it at my local store . The staff pick the product off the shelf in store , the online price in Sterling GBP is cheaper than buying it in store .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Yes, onto superdrug website, the prices are charged in GBP, i use my revolut card to pay (slightly better rate of exchange to Euro ) , collect in store (in south )normally within a couple of hours max.

Great value to be had when you shop when the special offers are on.

The gas thing is that the staff pick the stock off the shelf in the local store once you opt for instore collection, yet your getting the cheaper website price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Just checked and they also deliver for free for orders over £25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,829 ✭✭✭✭zell12

BAers know of Superdrug for yonks. They used to have cheapest toilet paper delivered for free if you spent £10, now £15 (sign up to H&B card free)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I could be missing something totally obvious but what is a H&b card ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,829 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...and will customs sieze the tablets when it arrives in the south? They are notorious for that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Home Bargains and B&M etc in Newry are great for paracetamol, toiletries, antihistamines etc.

First and Last off license in Jonesboro just off the motorway is great spot for alcohol deals.

If the North is within a reasonable driving range then there serious savings to be made if you make the trip and fill the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,186 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Boots and Chemist Direct are fairly good

Tesco club card price was €4.50 for Dove deodorant originally €9, I'm sure it was never €9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Glebee

€3.50 to €4 max was the most I remember paying and that was for 250ml not the reduced 200ml size

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CaptainOReilly

Saw this on Reddit after reading about Tesco charging over €8 for deodorant unless you have a clubcard. Supposedly can scan this code to get clubcard discounts if you don’t have your own card

Post edited by CaptainOReilly on

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Luke2513

Someone clearly just wants to collect your clubcard points.. 🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm lucky I live near the border, as I'd be one smelly git otherwise.

I don't think I have ever bought a deo, shower gel or shampoo in ROI.

The prices are scary.

Advertisement