Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Hear of the government new plans for cycling infrastructure? Well its not their ideas they are pushing.

To think that some conspiracy nutters still think the WEF is only a chamber for expressing thoughts and have no power or input on governments.

Bord na Mona and Coillte may be about to undergo more significant core business functional changes with a proposed piece of legislation

Bord na Móna’s primary duty is still to “produce and market turf and turf products”.

Coillte’s primary legal duty remains to “carry on the business of forestry and relative activities on a commercial basis”.

A new bill drawn up by Independent Senator Alice Mary Higgins for debate in the Seanad tomorrow seeks to ensure the original remits are abolished and that any remaining unsustainable practices end.

Her Climate Action and Biodiversity (Mandates of Certain Organisations) Bill 2023 has the backing of more than 30 national environmental NGOs.

It also has the tacit support of Government as the coalition has an unfulfilled promise since 2020 to amend the Turf Development Act and revise the operations of Coillte.

It says Coillte’s principal objective should be “to carry on the business of forestry and other activities on an economically, socially and environmentally sustainable basis”.

It says Bord na Móna’s primary duty should be “to manage, protect, rehabilitate and restore bogs in the State”.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

But thats besides the point. Per your premise, can you clarify how your fourth location, London, has made lives more miserable by reducing emissions

I should clarify that I don't mean that London is doing that, I was more alluding to the UK having lower per capita carbon emissions than Ireland because a) they have more capitas and have a lot less agriculture per capita than Ireland (the downside being reliant on imports for food), b) the UK has offshored much of its manufacturing in the last 30/40 years (at the cost of jobs and creating massive spatial inequality, see London vs the rest of the UK) and c) the UK has been successful in doing a good job decarbonising its power supply. They now only call on coal plants during extreme tightness (see graph of All Time at https://grid.iamkate.com/, coal provided an average of 15.6GW in 2012 vs 0.29GW now, a remarkable achievement).

Re: Dubai & Vancouver, I can't speak to those places but Dubai is a car centric sprawl with a 16 lane freeway as its main street and Vancouver is a small part of Canada which has emissions of double Ireland's per capita. I don't live there so I can't debate it any further.

Re: New South Wales. I live there and they are flat out building urban motorways in Sydney and no stopping the rural ones either. The electricity grid is coming under pressure because fossil fuel generators are being shut down without adequate dispatachable generation replacing it (which means higher prices and potential for blackouts).

Most of these long term targets are lipservice and nothing more. Some of the eejitry being labelled "policy" that the Irish Green Party TDs come up with in the shower is unfortunately being implemented, that's the difference.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Her Climate Action and Biodiversity (Mandates of Certain Organisations) Bill 2023 has the backing of more than 30 national environmental NGOs.

Ah yes. Very representative.

Also has the support of govt, which is, by definition, representative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I see John gibbons was on Eamon dunphys the stand attempting to scare the bejaysus out of anyone listening.

He goes on about the Gulf Stream shutting off due to desalination (day after tomorrow anyone?). There was a poster on here who gave a good account of why the Gulf Stream shutting off and us going into a new ice age (because of our northerly lattitude- similar to northern Canada), was a bunch of baloney but I can’t find that post.

Anyway link to the gibbons scarecast:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Pretty certain congestion, it was mentioned last Wednesday during prime minister's questions by a Tory MP...

I understand the idea of congestion zone and low emission zones...but as with many green/environmental policies they seem to be a catch all, not very well though out...like the nuclear shut down in Germany, replace a clearer energy source with coal...why not wait until the renewables were able to produce a greater proportion of their power before they started to shut down nuclear plants...but a lot of the environmental stuff is purely ideological, not practical at all...

Trying to understand here, are you saying there would be a higher quality of life with more congestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well let's get this straight - if the Irish Green Party and the EU think they are going to enforce an obligatory 'NCT' system for households, you can both f**k right off now. The idea is preposterous and especially so given the housing issues we already have.

Right thinking Greens promote doing with less and reuse. Not obligating wasteful expending of resources. We have the same nonsense with cars, Greens in both this and previous Green government encouraging scrappage of perfectly good cars to get shiny new models. Disgrace what the party and movement has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ULEZ is a fantastic success and will be an even bigger success when extended throughout london.

of course there will be a small number for who it will be a problem but the reality is that london has to clean up it's air massively at any and all costs.

it's a smog filled hole at the moment and it cannot go on.

there is a reason why the burning of coal among other examples happened in cities like london as far back as the 60s and 70s.

our environmental policies will be a huge success also, that's not to say there won't be some pain.

but the reality is there was always going to be pain and it's better to rip the plaster off now annd have less pain, then hold out, continue doing the same thing we are and having a hell of a lot more, and more expensive pain down the line.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

if the Irish Green Party and the EU think they are going to enforce an obligatory 'NCT' system for households, you can both f**k right off now. 

The same was said many times in the run up to the actual NCT system being introduced 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Difference is the NCT costs €55 every 2 years for the most part (yearly after 10 years) whereas a move to force upgrades of houses prior to selling will be many thousands of €. I don't see why the onus should be on the seller to upgrade a house and not the buyer.

I don't see why we should say its acceptable that poor performing homes are acceptable and its tough luck to the buyers

Minimum standards are not a bad thing, we already have them for new construction

Maybe Furze has details on what would be entailed in this proposal, I haven't seen it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭PommieBast

To expats all the Irish government's Greenie virtue-signalling is really just another sign of the Irish state's complete dysfunctionality. They want housing not cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Clean air appears to be the latest big stick push from greens on anything their ideology disagrees with. I mean, who could argue with that. Everyone likes cleaner air don`t they ?

Not so in that much admired green oasis of yours Germany it seems when it comes to pushing their ideological green agenda.

In a study carried out by Carnegie Mellon University, he University of California, Berkley; the University of California Santa Barbara, and the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) and published by NBER and news-medical.net. The study focused on the Germany shut down of 10 of its 17 nuclear reactors between 2011 and 2017.

That was before the remaining 7 reactors where shut down, so I doubt that increased risk of 1,100 excess deaths annually has been lowered by their being shut since.

As such a proponent of clean air and the strict adherence to regulations, (even to the extent you would be quite happy reporting your neighbours), I`m sure you will be straining at the leash to condemn Germany for this total disregard for clean air and the resulting endangering of so many lives of their own citizens lives based on their green ideology. Especially when nobody benefited other than electricity producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Just going by the text in Furzes' post then the aim is to prevent people from selling if they don't retrofit first. Minimum standards are grand, but if you are selling something then you aren't really concerned with it. And as alays, it's better for the buyer to do the upgrade. If I was a seller I'd do the least amount possible, cut every corner I could and then sell for a higher price. Which leaves the buyer having to fix any of my shoddy work, plus it may not even be at a BER level the buyer wants. Then it makes more sense for the seller to sell, and the buyer do what they like after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭prunudo

One way to keep the new house market bouyant, make older houses undesirable. As a previous poster said, so much for the Greens being about managing resources and not wasting materials.

Headline on the radio earlier about emissions being higher in 2022 than 2021, no ****, we were in a pandemic with many restrictions on employment and every day life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

This seems to be the driver. Not sure why the Irish greens seem so he'll bent on destroying anything old and replacing it with some that won't last a 10th of the time.

I have an old house (as in 150 year old plus) extended and we slowly tipped away and it's not the warmest in winter but I'm not freezing. Fantastic having cool rooms in summer with 3 foot thick stone walls.

I'm guessing it's a G rating so won't be able to sell when I need to downsize.

That's silly and facile reasoning. If you're trying to deliberately lose support for current Green initiatives, you're doing a stellar job.

It'd be unbelievable if this comes to pass. But it shows the danger of zealots and ideologues and in this case those in the current Green movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

More than a third of homeowners can’t afford to increase the energy efficiency of their homes, according to new research by Savills Ireland. The study of 1,000 people found that 34 per cent can’t afford to make their properties more energy efficient. Beverly Ensor of Savills said that cost is the main driver in driving energy efficiency choices of homeowners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭PommieBast

There's usually a fair amount of leeway at national level when it comes to implementing EU directives. Most people don't know what is actual directive and what is a bonus country-specific layer of rules.

It's hardly driven by Big Oil. Where do you think it's coming from?

No idea, hence why I asked for details 🙂

I did come across this, though I find no reference to what Furze puts forward. Maybe it was crossed wires Furze?

Yeah, I already knew about that directive. And you don't think it's drive by Green ideology?? It's going to affect 30 million residential buildings in the EU in the next ten years. The €150 bn of public funds being set aside won't go very far, if you do the sums. You don't think this is crazy? (Rhetorical question -- I know your craziness bar is set higher than most).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

As I said before, if there really is a climate "emergency", our homes should be retrofitted for free.

• Advertisement

I believe that was the report being discussed on Morning Ireland this very morning and there was a lady presenting the case, possibly Beverley here above. She said clearly that there was EU legislation being developed that would require a mandatory min BER rating of E by 2030 on all residential property being sold/ purchased or rented. That this would rise to a D rating by 2033 and that fossil fuels would be banned from sale in 2035. That's what I heard.

Advertisement