Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Have to say I didn't really buy that it was election night. The TV centre wasn't that busy, nearly deserted. It just felt like a regular evening at the office, even a quieter than usual one. There was an airless unreality to the depiction of behind the scenes on election night.

Shiv just walking out the front door on the building, through a deserted plaza. In reality that place would be thronged, given the night that was in it.

The lack of verisimilitude in the episode took me out of it a bit this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

An absolute riot of the episode. Comfortably has the most take-away lines since Logan was around

"It's not that lemony. It's just a hint of lemon"

Everything Connor said, and obviously "Connor was running for president?"

Roman was ruthless. He's actually decisive and had zero hesitation in anything he said or did. He's the most level headed of the three. He's just got no moral compass - which doesn't always result in failure.

Kendall won the "optics" for now but this man is a wreck. He wants to be the big guy, he wants to be the good guy. He's just the lost guy.

Shiv getting called out was glorious. She's such a snake through and through. Trying to plead for sympathy with Tom, trying to butter up Ken, trying to undermine Roman. She's awful. A great character, mind you...

Greg is the worst. He's the bully's side-kick. Zero backbone, I reckon he doesn't have a clue as to why one candidate is better than the other. And he's utterly useless. Great to watch as well.

Tom - The MVP. This guy is also ruthless, he knows how to manouver all the siblings, he has a moral compass and is aware to know when he should ignore it or not. He's probably the only one with any level self-awareness. One snag... he's completely incompetent.

I've zero clue where it all goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Best line was Tom yelling to Greg not to put any more wasabi or lemon in Darwin's eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Have to say I didn't really buy that it was election night. The TV centre wasn't that busy, nearly deserted.

Popped in here to say the same thing. A few episodes feel as though they've had a smaller budget that in previous seasons. There just wasn't that intensity like in previous shareholder meeting type episodes with hundreds of extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Banzai600

kinda getting sick of the "deal" talk, its droning on and on.....Lukas Matsson character is being a litter over acted....but its bearable.

scene with Tom & Sibh on the balcony, very good, knocking lumps out of each other.

i wonder when kendall is going to screw over everyone 🔪 ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I think you (and many more) are underestimating Greg, for somebody so outwardly ineffectual and completely lacking awareness, he seems to get himself in the right rooms at the right times and I think will be amongst the last cast standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

as I said, most boring episode, mainly because it wasn't that funny. Except for tom's quip about Cyd and her cloven hooves not fitting a shoe.

Aside from all that, it feeds into the media perception that they're that influential. they're not, especially in the online age. as if them making the call actually decides the election. Is there any industry that has such a lofty position of itself? anyway, that's bit offtopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Greg had an important scene, remember Tom's advice that secrets are like a bottle of fine wine.

The big moment for Greg was his bottle in the face to Siobhán after she threatened him when he told Kendall she was working with Matsson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Yeah Greg is a bit of a bigger player than some can see or want to admit. Not that he's going to end up CEO or any of those crazy theories, but he's been edging up the ladder regardless.

He comes across as a bumbling fool so noone takes him seriously, but people also let him in on some secrets now and again, and he uses that to his advantage - as Tom said, knowledge is power. Funny thing is that Shiv could have kept him on side if she wasn't so hostile to him - compare the reactions of Tom, Ken and even Logan, when Greg previously tried to leverage something out of them. Meanwhile Shiv got ultra aggressive and Greg had no hesitation in burning her. She played that awfully tbh.

Post edited by shrewdness on

It's how Shiv always is. She sees herself as smarter than everyone else but always walks herself into her own problems. Even with faking the call to Jimenez's team when Kendall asked her to call them. If she'd instead made the call but just did enough to not convince Jimenez's team but get a maybe or a "We're open to discussion after the election", it'd be a different story. In her hubris, she thought she was outsmarting Kendall.

Now she has little choice but to help Matsson take down Waystar. She may claim she's doing it because she cares about democracy, is worried about Mencken etc, but really it's the only way she can now hold on to any kind of power; help Matsson buy Waystar and hope she's done enough for Matsson that she'll be in a position of power within the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wouldn't be surprised if Matsson is playing them all and the moral at the end will be their downfall because they're all awful people who couldn't work together

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I still think Matsson is in cahoots with the Pierce family and they'll be the ultimate owner of Waystar.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I really want to sympathize with Shiv, but she's always so backstabby, no matter who she's dealing with! The scorpion was so apt...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That was tough going and reminded me only too well of painful memories. **** Karl, Menchken and probably a few others for their reactions to Roman.

Kendall's was possibly worst of all, again going deeper into his own monstrous descent separate from his father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sometimes it’s easy to forget that someone is acting, and that it’s not real. That’s how I felt about Roman at the funeral, it was tough to watch and it’s something many of us can relate to I’m sure.

That was a stellar episode from start to finish, many brilliant performances, but it Culkin doesn’t get his Emmy then I don’t know what more you could possibly do to earn one.

Incredible performances at the funeral. Roman was amazing, but definite shoutouts to Kendall and Shiv too.

Insane to think next week's episode is the series finale. Can't see anyone other than Kendall winning at this stage, it seems set up for him to outplay Shiv. How, or what happens to Shiv & Roman, I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Wow the "Grim Weeper" line at Roman was one of many brutal lines in the episode. Feel Shiv will lose out in the finale, just because she seemed to be on a high at the end of the episode. Can see none of the kids succeeding their dad to be in charge.

Post edited by Sudden Valley on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Outstanding episode. Culkin's performance was something else but they all stepped up this week. Loved the cuts to Karl during the funeral though 😂

I've no idea how this will end. Ken clearly won't win because it seems setup that he will. Shiv equally hasn't a chance. Rome.. Well he ruined any chance after his break down.

I actually think the theories could be true and that Greg could be named the new CEO - easily controlled by both sides (Mattson and Menchken)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭nachouser

"And, I think I can make a US CEO work."

Yeah, very open to who that might be. Should be funny either way to see who is f*cked over in the finale.

"Cat-food Ozymandias" was brilliant.

Jesus that was good.

Brutal and excellent

I'd be really disappointed if somehow Greg ended up on top. There are definitely ways it could happen, but man that'd be such a kicker. Kendall and Shiv would have to go absolutely kamikaze on each other for neither of them to win, in some extreme mutual destruction.

Tom would be a more palatable third-party to win out. Maybe Shiv p*sses off Matsson somehow that he picks Tom to spite her, and he's already running ATN anyway. And Tom was the one who essentially pushed the button to help Mencken's claim to be President-Elect.

One other bit I loved actually was Kerry and Marcia burying the hatchet so to speak with some unexpected help from Caroline.

Great scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I think it would cheapen the show if Greg somehow ended up being CEO. It would be far too unrealistic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought Roman was being cruel and abrasive even by his standards at the start of the episode, but how Kieran Culkin managed the transition to totally broken human in those funeral scenes was screen acting at its most agile and convincing.

Special shout out to James Cromwell too. The show uses him sparingly, but how he set the tone for that series of eulogies with a perfectly delivered truth bomb was a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

Best line of that episode... Hugo's reply to Kendell.. "woof woof" 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The dead waiter is going to bring Kendall down.

• Advertisement

I think Shiv regretted letting Tom sleep over, I think she thought she got played, emotionally manipulated.

It is Ken’s destiny to win. He is the strongest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭rtron

Felt like Kens speech was him realizing what he needs to do to be like his father.

Funny moment for me was Greg getting down with the lingo but at highly in appropriate times. Something about being "boxed up" when the coffin lands in 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

'Logan is boxed up and ready for delivery'.

He's forlorn attempt at stopping Ewan from getting onto the pulpit was hilarious. 'Should I take him out by the legs?'.

As people mentioned earlier, the acting during the funeral was outstanding. Really felt for Roman as I just know I'd probably be the same in that scenario (hopefully years away still).

Was I the only expecting a sort of January 12 situation in the church with the president present? They sort of hinted at unrest in the lead up with windows being bordered up and Kendall's wife going upstate. I know they showed the protestors at the end too, but thought something massive was going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Outstanding tv.

Writers, actors, producers, music, sets, camera work, everything... outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I remember thinking Kieran Culkin was great in season 3 and was a bit unfortunate when the awards came around - but man, he's stepped it up again this season. Phenomenal acting by him and he should be getting some reward for that.

Plenty of other strong performances too and just an all-round great episode. Still don't know who will end up on top. Definitely don't think it'll be Shiv as she has so often fell flat when getting a bit too confident, I just reckon she'll be caught out. Also it almost seems a bit too obvious that Ken will end up on top - though it would be the show coming full circle in a way, and this season has shown him become the ruthless "killer" Logan wanted him to be at the end of season 2. Wouldn't at all be surprised for all the siblings to be left out in the cold, and the end of it being Mattson owning it with someone else as the American CEO

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Navy blue

Not important to the show, but is Sophie Kendall’s biological child or is it ever mentioned in the show? Rava is Jewish I think and Kendall has British heritage but Sophie appears to be South Asian. Just wondering was this ever referenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm leaning towards Matsson and Tom as the American CEO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

A masterpiece of an episode.

Too many highlights to mention really but the speech from James Cromwell was absolutely stunning imho

I don't think Tom played Shiv, I think they both realise they are bad for each other- but can't see any alternative to being with each other. I think Tom will be new CEO even though Matsson didnt seem overally impressed with him but even then I think Tom and Shiv will get back together.

I'm guessing they wont do a timejump at end of finale as the actress who plays Shiv is still pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

Favourite line from Tom when congratulated on his impending fatherhood "If it wasn't such a total **** disaster, it would be a dream come true."

Listening to an interview with him and he said he was suffering from long Covid and was struggling with his memory and wasn’t sure if he was going to be able to remember his lines.

• Advertisement

It was an incredible episode. I immediately thought about my own mother's funeral and the surrealism of it all. When Roman said he wanted to take Logan out of the coffin I completely related to that. Your mind sort of leaves you for a bit.

Of course their fathers abusive legacy was once again on display within them. I think Rava should have went to the funeral and that she was being hysterical but Kendall's pleading and then how the hurt turns to anger and then the reactionary move of wanting to meet family law people.

Shiv is the most morally bankrupt of the 3 but has the capacity for huge emotion. She's different to her brothers though in that she won't let herself really feel because that would be terrifying and perhaps threaten the careful identity she has constructed for herself, that of strong powerful woman able to rule the world.

I loved the scene with Caroline and Marcia. There was a lot of warmth in those women towards each other and it's a shame that Caroline can't find it for her own children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This season has been full of amazing performances.. but Kieran Culkin in particular this episode was fantastic!

Too many episodes for Emmy consideration this season really.

Culkin, Strong, Snook and McFadyen all deserve Emmys for standout performances across the season tbf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

"I am the droid you seek"

'Stockholm Syndrome with a touch of China Syndrome'

'You wouldn't dare miss my father's funeral if he was alive'

Every episode throws up a few killers.

I didnt initially get the china syndrome reference, as a nuclear meltdown reference, though I did see the film with the same name years ago.

Tom has been vicious this seasons and I'm loving it with his "you killed your father" and calling Shivs pregnancy a disaster and initially a power move on her part.

I think ultimately only Shiv and Connor will have a somewhat hopeful ending, Shiv trying to be a better mother than her own and Connor continuing his maverick politician delusion. Ken and Romans business reputation are so bad and their personal lifes are disaster zones too.

Both parents are Caucasian so it's assumed that Sophie is adopted, but no reason to assume that with Iverson.

But it was also hinted that Roman had a wife/partner and child too in the early stages and they mysteriously disappeared, never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Murph3000

Agreed, this is the best TV I have seen in a long long time, where does this TV show rank in your all time top TV shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

For me it’s top three of all time but The Sopranos will always be top , I’d place Better Call Saul higher too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I think that the West Wing is up there too. So far ahead of it's time and still holds up well.

Sadly I have never seen the Sopranos but Better Call Saul is my #1.

BCS was OK, but very self-indulgent at times. The Sopranos I need to rewatch as I didn't get the hype the first time around.

For me this is up there with The Shield (best cop drama ever) and House of Cards (with the exception of the awful final season).

Anyway.... I've watched various YouTube reviews and predictions since and I've still no idea who's going to come out on top. A lot seem to think Ken will do it and bring his arc full circle but as I said above, I just can't see it. It's probably the most satisfying conclusion but it's too obvious and I can't see the writers going that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement