Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Because they needed to clarify the issue. They indicated it may have gone into a defunct administrating account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Were the 1993 winners really going to boycott the half time celebration if he stayed on ? Where did you hear that ?

they must have had a group discussion on this topic, which is interesting

(sorry the Brolly article on Independent I can’t access, if it was the source)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

It wasn't the 93 All Ireland team. The 25 year anniversary of the Ulster winners of 1998.

Brolly wrote it on the Sunday Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Those reunions are a joke anyway, they line the team up on the sideline of the stand where all the VIP's sit for example the players relatives, club chairmen and sponsors. If you are anywhere else in the ground you can barely make out who it is or understand what the loudspeaker is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Well Rory Gallagher wasn't single so your logic makes no sense. You remind me of the people who accuse wife beaters of being incels. If you have a wife you aren't incel by default.

I bet Rory will have girlfriends in the future too despite the allegations. This fairy tale notion that women go after quiet nice guys is nonsense. The majority of men in prison have had a string of women and will still get women when released. They may even receive love letters inside prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Rory still hasnt denied the allegations. One would wonder where this goes next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I suppose they will deny that Gallagher was out celebrating with the team on Sunday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sorry to hear about your experience. It might be easier said than done, but avoiding twitter is a great move if you don't want to put yourself through such stress. I've no regrets from getting off it almost completely, I'll log on occasionally for score updates etc. But it really is a horrible place at times.

I think I've tried to remain balanced on this. One the one hand, people should be innocent until proven guilty. But on the other hand, I know full well that not all guilty people in cases of domestic violence are proven guilty... For numerous reasons.

A guy I know was subject to a similar thing on Facebook years and years ago. A girl he had been going out with went on a campaign to discredit him and claimed he had gotten her pregnant, left her not wanting anything to do with the kid etc. It got a lot nastier than that. It transpired that he wasn't the father and the vast majority of stuff said about him were lies. An apology was made but he'll forever be associated with those allegations. Through it all, he never responded to her, and people assumed he was at fault because he wasn't denying things / remained silent.

All that said, I can't help but think that there is something to these allegations. The friends statement was significant for me. But I have to stop myself from going too far down that line of thought.

For the children's sake, it would be great if this was cleared up, but I suspect it's going to go on and on. And it'll probably stick with them for life. It's terrible really.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

violent men always have women and always have offspring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I`m not sure what the take from that is meant to be in relation to this thread.

Do you believe Rory Gallagher was the one in that relationship being physically abused, or that verbal abuse or his wife being an alcoholic would give him the right to physically abuse her to the level she has said she suffered over 24 years.

Not just the friend's statement.

The way he phrased the denial.

The use of his solicitors to ensure he wasn't defaming her so he couldn't be sued

Her father writing to the GAA, it is clear that those around her believe her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Been reading a bit more on all this....no way in hell this woman is making this up.

desperate sad to think a person could suffer that kind of terror and pain for so long.

The whole two sides to a story I generally lean towards, but sometimes there really is just one side....in this case, it is her suffering!

Just on her reason(s) for going so public: Not to diss her, but I don't believe it has anything to do with helping others. Domestic violence is as old as the hills. It's a very complicated/complex issue, and can never ever be cured as long as men are men and women are women

I believe she went public to hurt him and get some revenge/satisfaction/healing, and you know what, in this instance I'll applaud her!!!!!

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cbumkin

This thing that people think it is significant that he hasn't publicly denied the allegations is significant really cracks me up. I mean if the man is actually guilty and he did do it , do they think that he would have qualms about telling a lie and coming out with a strong denial? Doing the deed is the bad thing , deny doing the deed wouldn't cost a thought to a person who has actually done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I`m very much a dyed in the wool GAA man and make no apologies for it. Rumour about this individual have been circulating for years, so I doubt any of the county boards of counties he has managed county semior teams for had not heard them. If they hadn`t then Nicola Gallagher`s post has certainly made them and the GAA in general sit up and take notice.

At the time I thought his being gone from Donegal as Jim McGuinness`s assistant so soon after them winning the All Ireland in 2012 may have had some bearing on those rumours, but that it seems was a management rather than a county board one as they employed him as manager as soon as McGuinness vacated the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I think the statement from the Fermanagh County Board is significant. They stated that "no official complaint was made". They knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure what you mean. I think that the vast majority people can read this that Nicola is not making this up. That he did physically abuse and hurt her.

Personally I think one would have to be a bit thick to not believe her that he was violent towards her.

Simple: he is not strongly denying it because he knows it is true, and he knows plenty others know it to be true. In other words, he cannot strongly deny something that is so true, and that has happened for years and years. Not like it’s some one-off he said-she said private incident that he could completely dismiss and deny!!

So he’s “stuck” with not admitting it and not denying it. That is exactly what I’d expect here for this situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭crusd

The standard of proof as to whether someone is convicted of a crime has not been met in this situation. This is not however the level of proof required to make an assessment as to whether someone is appropriate to hold a high profile voluntary position. Donegal, Fermanagh and Derry CB's were well aware of the character "flaws" of the individual they chose to appoint to the voluntary position of manager and should have let those flaws inform their decisions in appointing the voluntary manager of their inter-county teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,286 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope the kids have a happy safe childhood and teenagehood

• Advertisement

It is up there with Gallagher's own statement where he didn't deny the allegations but said the courts had addressed it.

Of course he can't deny it. If he admits it in any way, he could lose the children, and he could be sued for defamation in civil court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Sums up the way this discussion is going that even though you agreed with the person's point in the last sentence it still took so long to get to that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

RTE reporting he has resigned from his Derry role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

"Derry GAA making no further comment at this time". Convenient, that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Right decision and I think Derry GAA have handled a difficult situation reasonably well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'd say the GAA are DELIGHTED with this news story-it's completely distracted from the rage about GAA Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭combat14

what comment can they make "we knew he is a wife beater" .. .there have been 2 police investigations that have been both closed

• Advertisement

Huh? They appointed him, knowing the issues. The didn't fire him when it became public. Don't think that was handling it reasonably well.

Advertisement