Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flogas error put me on smart plan and won't let me change

Options
  • 16-05-2023 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

We have a new build house so a smart meter was fitted last week. signed up with flogas. Asked for non smart plan as want to monitor usage and see what makes sense. However, noticed when received confirmation of connection that Flogas had signed me up to a smart plan. Contacted them and they admit it's their error but say it's impossible to opt out of smart once opted in. Tell me I am now on a smart plan forever, even if i cancelled them and moved to new provider. Have raised complaint but they now have 20 workings days to respond so just wondering has anyone experienced anything like this and any suggestions to resolve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Xterminator

follow through with the complaints process and document replies then escalate to regulator.

just 'cause' isn't an answer. If there is no business process to move you to a non smart plan - then they can create a process.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no Networks process to move you to a non smart plan and there never will be. You can get a day/night meter fitted instead however.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you have an activated smart meter you cannot move.

I do believe that you cannot switch from an activated smart meter (MCC12 or MCC16) to any other meter type, even MCC02 Day Night. You can only switch to day night if you havent activated the meter (So MCC01 to MCC02 is allowed, but MCC12 or MCC16 to MCC01 - 24hr or MCC02 - D/N is not)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shibby89

I was on a smart plan with Electric Ireland and moved to a non smart plan with sei with no issues.

I'd strongly suggest you check that that went through properly and that you didn't just end up on another smart plan that wasn't the one you picked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Shibby89

Having now checked this, you're absolutely right. I am on a smart plan with sse. Have only recently changed but I'm out of cooling off period. Got the whole spiel from sales person about how the only way to get out of a smart plan is to change provider. Maddening.

SSEs sales tactics are known to be Exceptionally Poor to put it mildly!

Both you, and the OP, need to go through the providers complaints procedure and then go to the CRU when the responses are unsatisfactory (they will be unsatisfactory)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purple puffin

The meter was only activated when flogas activated it with this plan. It's a new build so they are our first provider and 'erroneously' activated the meter with a smart plan. The non-smart plan was an option (which we requested) but they made a mistake their end. They are saying the mistake is irreversible and now I'm stuck with smart tariff forever. Surely it cannot be allowed to happen that they make irreversible mistakes that result in additional energy costs to the customer...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

get a copy of the phone recording if it was done over the phone. That should be straight forward

They have admitted (verbally and in writing) that error was on their side but still say it's irreversible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Im very confused by this and searches online are no clearer. I have a smart meter with Electric Ireland which is used so that I can get insights, etc. However I am still on normal billing rate as the other half wouldn't commit to using the power outside normal hours to avail of the smart rates. So is it the situation that if I look to move I will only be provided with smart plan / rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭stayback

Then its an open and shut case. Go through their complaints process and if they don't reverse it then go to the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭Sarn

I think as they will be unable to reverse the change it will now come down to what compensation or other measures can be put in place to mitigate the error.

It cannot be reversed, the network operator will not allow it. That's an ESBN condition, not from your supplier.

I agree with Sarn above, your best bet will be some redress or courtesy credit rather than an MCC change, which is very very unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm in an almost identical predicament but in my case it was the builders who put me on a smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I have my electric with Bord Gais, rang them in September to see what best plan was and the agent advised against the smart plan so asked to stick to the old one.

Rang up last week and found out I was on smart meter plan, they raised a complaint and I've just got a call today and email confirmation that I'm back to my old plan and they have credited my account with the amount I overpaid

if your MCC changed (IE MCC01 to MCC12/16 and then back to MCC01) that would really help the OP. Could you post a screenshot with PII redacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I won't see it until my next bill issues

Yes, that would really be helpful so I know it can change if there's a will to do it! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

These are not mistakes. Everyone is going to end up on a smart meter whether they like it or not. No appeal process are going to allow you to return back from a smart meter. All this was predicted.

They need to be able to ration and cut peoples supplies remotely to combat future shortages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I managed to switch from MCC12(activated Smart meter) to MMC02(Day/Night plan).

I was told repeatedly by energy company that it couldn't be done, complained to the CRU, the energy company were suddenly a lot more amenable and had it done in less than a week.

Go through the companies complaints procedure and then when you get no luck there complain to the CRU.

Put as much detail as you can into the CRU complaint as well.

The more people that complain the less likely that mistakes or "mistakes" like this will happen.

Advertisement