Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I was going to reply with snark to a previous post of yours about your use of the word "objective" but decided against it but this was one step too far.

Stop using big words if you don't know what they mean.

In the previous sentence, you literally gave a different and valid point of view. Thus it cannot be considered OBJECTIVELY a underachievement. Because there are multiple other valid arguments that would render Lancasters tenure a success.

If we lose this weekend we will SUBJECTIVELY have underachieved. Subjective being based on feelings or opinions such as.... gee I don't know... someone who objectively hates rugby.

The statement stands for your points on Lancasters tenure too

Post edited by arsebiscuits1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Agree on JOB vs Larmour.

But a more pertinent view to that selection would be fullback cover. I think Henshaw and Ngatai are wearing 12 and 23 (tough call who is who tbh) leaving us thin on FB cover. I think it's clear Jordan isn't up to it at the top level. JOB is.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,800 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so your saying the purpose of Munster Ulster and Connacht is NOT to win competitions???

thats stretching the elastic a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd go for Baird myself over Jenkins, either starting or off of the bench. Be tempted by Joe McCarthy too, just not sure he's played enough to get himself into the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They're in a final to win the biggest prize in club rugby on Saturday, this discussion feels rather pointless when one game on Saturday changes the entire complexion of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Is it not more like one win on Saturday changes the entire complexion? (Which it would, to be fair).

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/dublin-23-finals-weekend-tickets-dublin-20-05-2023/event/18005CB1C5A66DF3

Lads, a few resale tickets have just appeared on TM if you're still looking. Act fast, there's not many...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

[God this quote feature is muck!]

If the favourite for a competition fails to win, then it's objectively an underachievement. I don't see what's controversial about that. Failing to win both competitions as favourite in both is an underachievement, winning one is an achievement, winning both is an overachievement, despite being favourites and having home advantage, as it's just a very difficult thing to do, no matter how good your team is.

There are a lot of teams that will never win any competition (Dragons and Zebre, but also a lot of the perennial mid-table sides). If their purpose is to win, and they never come close to achieving it, are they fit for purpose? Is there purpose not, more realistically, to provide opposition and entertain? one could argue some teams don't even fit that purpose.

Maybe it's better to talk about objectives. Whether that be survival, winning a game, getting to the knockouts, reaching a final, winning the competition or just battering a rival, every team has objectives. I'd say Connacht have achieved theirs this year (knockouts and CC qualificaiton), Munster as well (same, one step further and more importantly, turning that damn corner), Ulster have failed to reach theirs and Leinster have failed one and have a chance at another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭hold my beer

They're getting snapped up instantly every time.

Edit: Millionth time lucky 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

Nice one 👍️

They seem to be landing and disappearing in fits and starts. When I first click the link, there was only about half a dozen, then later on more sections appeared. Luck of the draw if you get them, fastest finger first, as a wise man once said...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Apologies mods, I know I'm breaking the rules a bit here. Please remove if appropriate.

Edit: thanks for the leniency mods.

All tickets have found a blue home for themselves.

Best of luck Saturday to ye all.

Post edited by kuang1 on

I have a ticket, but very sound thing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whilst he's very much an inside centre for Leinster, Ngatai was a utility back in NZ. He probably played almost as much at 13 as 12 and has plenty of experience at full back also.

Not sure I'd play him there now due to the level of cover required across the backfield but, if he was at 23, I think an injury to someone like Keenan would see JOB to 15, Ringrose to the wing and Ngatai in beside Henshaw. I think that's the line up that played the Sharks in October (Larmour off injured early).

Would be a risk though and quite disruptive. Larmour at 23 would make things a bit more simple allowing JOB to move wherever required and Larmour going to the wing. Given that Leinster are unlikely to remove Henshaw or Ringrose unless injured, it's probably too big a risk as you would need to reshuffle the backline at a critical point in the game to bring him in even if for only fresh legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I assume JOB will be training at 15 during the week in any case. As if Keenan went down in the warmup he would most likely shift across. Ringrose has no real difficulty shifting to the wing. So I’m not sure the disruption would be that big an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭murtyd17

In is in - great to see them snapped up so quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's so many expectations being posted. Expectations don't always come true. It's very difficult to win a double. Supporters claiming Leinster are chokers etc is wrong. What other side puts so many players into the national team? Certainly not La Rochelle ! Are other teams as disrupted by losing as many players to the national team? I doubt it. Maybe if Leinster contributed 4 players to the national team and there's less disruption how would things pan out. If Ulster/ Munster were loading the Ireland team would they be in the playoffs?

To knock the nads off Leinster is a little rich, considering the injuries this year, the international players coming and going and the fact that maybe Leo was slightly off in last weeks selection. It's not like Munster are gash! That's a tough side with good coaches. Bulls last year were a good side. Expectations for Leinster are over the top. If that team that played last Saturday was in the GP,they would be a top level side, imo. Brian Moore would be creaming his jocks if that side were English.

We lose on Saturday, then the season was a failure! We win and it's a success, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭techdiver

Wow, Ticketmaster is some shambles.

Get tickets into basket and then get a 404 page:

Sorry...

The page you are looking for cannot be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I got as far as the payment screen and got an error message...gggrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

True. I've been watching a lot of Leinster games for a very long time so I am very familiar with their pedigree, and big picture commentary is premature before Saturday. If they beat LaR and stick another star on the jersey then it will confirm that Leinster aren't just a top 2 or 3 team when push comes to shove, they are the top team. No-one else bar Toulouse comes close to their consistency. Not even Munster in their heyday were as close to the very top for anywhere near as long. But it's ok to be a bit greedy. Leinster have the bulk of the Irish team and an insane depth chart with an SUV full of excellent new players coming on line almost every year. Yet, they lose big knock out matches almostevery year by small margins. And I don't dismiss the league, even before the SA teams came along it was very important. The provincial derbies are the heart of the domestic pro game and Leinster's league team are a machine more than able for all comers. European cups in the record books are what will be judged though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The EPCR has published the team and individual stats for Leinster and La Rochelle. Going into it we look fairly evenly matched in a lot of areas. Leinster pass more, create far more line breaks and have better discipline. La Rochelle are much better at winning penalties at the breakdown. They attack every ruck which is why they also concede more penalties.

Individually, VDF, Ryan and Doris are having excellent seasons. We knew about the latter two, but the former has been every big as good as last season when he won World Player of the Year. Think that has gone a bit under the radar now. That's two years of world class performances.

Whatever about Skelton, Alldritt is a scary mofo. If Leinster can manage to shut him down then will go a long way. Easier said than done though.

VDF is probably the best openside we've ever had! His consistency is great and his engine is non stop.

He could win the world player of the year again, imo.

I'm not as nervous about this week's final as I was for the Toulouse match. Anyone else feel the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I wasn't too confident v Toulouse for some reason. I feel more confident this week. No idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd agree, I think we actually could've hammered La Rochelle last year, if we'd played the way we had all season. Our maul was dominant and we didn't take advantage of that at all. If we score a try early, I think we could run away with it. Our defense last year, Rhule try aside, did a great job. We gave them 2 easy entries to our 22 with penalties and paid for it. Our defense is better this season I think.

I reckon our bench could be key. I hope that we go with Baird at blindside from the start. It would be tough on Conan if he benches and he has been brilliant. Baird could be a massive problem for La Rochelle in the back row. But either way, I think we know the opposition well at this stage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,800 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i just wish he had a better jackling game, its the one part of his role at 7 that i think he lacks in . In fact, its an area where leinster themselves lack, theyve no out an out fetcher a la Botia, Refell, Fourie, Will Evans etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Advertisement