Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im not sure what profile of coach they will get to fill the role.

First off, there's no female coach with the relevant coaching experience, and irish womens rugby experience, out there. Sophie spence is the highest profile, but shes only currently serving an internship with welsh rugby, so has no head coach experience at this level.

If they get a very high profile male coach a la wayne smith / simon middleton / john mitchell etc, then there will be questions over how they can afford such a salary while offering pittance in the pro contracts.

if they get a male coach that once had a high profile but whos star has waned in the last few year ie eddie o sullivan / neil doak etc then teh IRFU will be charged with "jobs for the boys" or a 'retirement home job'.

filling that position is not going to be easy. i think they will have to look outside of ireland for a decent profiled coach who comes with no baggage and no fear of saying what they think (im think along the lines of vera pauw with the soccer women). maybe someone like giselle mather.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The obvious choice is Lynn Cantwell. She's back in Ireland, due to give birth in a few weeks and would hopefully be available to work again in a few months. She has spent the last two years as Director of High Performance - Women, in the South African RU and knows every aspect of the Irish Women's system, including all the politics and old fashioned blockages. She also commands huge respect from everyone connected to the Women's game in Ireland.

I can't think of a better person to be DoR for the Women's Senior Squad and to put together a staff to begin making in-roads.

fair point, but we're talking about head coach here.

If Lynn comes in it would be at DOR level as you say (or management) as she has no head coach experience and no coaching badges as far as i understand. Shes very much an organiser more than a coach.

(not that thats not needed!!)

but who will replace Greg mcwilliams is just as important

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Utter bs re Moloney. Best IQ #2, playing out of her skin and nowhere near an Irish camp. Not her choice either. She paid a hefty price for speaking out.

• Advertisement

I agree. If the next head coach looks to recall her, I'd tell them to go have intercourse with themselves.

But I suspect being the person she is, she would answer the call.

Honestly, she should be Captain. I've no particular problem with Fryday, but heavy was the crown this season, maybe give her a chance to just do what she does on the field and spare her any more deflating media duty. Moloney would be a face of real progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think my reaction would be slightly more mercenary than yours.

More along the line of what's match fees for non contracted internationals and hmm I'll think about it.

incredible victory in the toulouse 7s

ireland 27 france 7

ALMC with a hat trick

Long way to qualification but I'm daring to dream. It's not an easy group

And you'd be dead right.

But Fryday herself is one in that category too, I think Moloney would play for Ireland under a new regime, if called. At least I hope she would, the XVs playing group needs leaders and big beasts with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

Congratulation. Women's 7's team for qualified 2024 olympics in Paris. It's a long long way. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

after all the negativity with the the Irish team , great to see the 7s beat Fiji and qualify for Olympics - that is great achievement for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

It is a great achievement alright. Those involved should be proud. The selected players for the Olympics will have an experience of a life time in France.

However, 7s doesn't have the same traction with the public as 15s . This goes for the mens game too.

The sevens tournaments are all played abroad and viewership must be very small in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

7s at the Olympics is huge , for me better than 15s - beating Fiji was massive

not the point at all. there are plenty of irish at most 7s tournaments due to our diaspora, but the point is that 7s doesnt have the same public interest as 15s does. This is obviously because 7s isnt shown on any TV station, nevermind terrestrial FTA.

the big issue for womens rugby right now is, is the 15s game suffering due to the emergence of the 7s program. Again, yes is the obvious answer.

However maybe the IRFU see it as worthwhile. Maybe they see a 7 month sevens season, with significant funding coming in from external, as being more valuable than a 7 week six nations tournament, in which ireland are so far behind.

Between WXV and the expansion of the Celtic cup there's almost going to be a decent season for women's internationals in 2024.

I would say that part of the funding coming from outside the irfu budget is likely to help attract irfu interest to sevens.

I believe that in theory someone who hasn't played 15s but is a high level athlete is more likely to convert to 7s than to 15s but that's not likely to expand the player pool massively.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Doesn't involvement in the Olympics also open up other funding channels from the IOC etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Big tournaments and success at those can get decent traction though especially Olympics which would be bigger than anything else the womens game could get,

Yeah,. agree with that. IRFU see 7s as way to professionalize players thats harder to do with the 15s game

Ireland are now so far behind at 15s game that it would take years of changes at all levels to close the gap any bit and its far easier to just focus on 7s

Yes there would be 7s focused funding from other sources if regularly at olympics/qualifying for it

Problem is still below that level. Too many top players playing in too few clubs which means player pool isnt going to expand much either

WXV3 has a few more teams officially confirmed now

So WXV1 is England, France, Wales and top 3 from the pacific 4 competition which will finish in July in Canada and is between Canada, US, Australia and New Zealand

WX2 is Japan, South Africa, Scotland, Italy or Spain and 4th from Pacif4, Oceania winner

WX3 is Ireland, Kazakstan, Kenya, Italy or Spain, 1 from Oceania, Columbia or Brazil

• Advertisement

I see the womens interpros are being moved to August in 23/24. Get ahead of the WXV and give players a chance to stake a claim for internationals.

The Womens AIL is going to home and away which is a positive step

Interesting that they're looking at U-16 and U-18 teams for this. Could be some players with several years as U-20 in the mix

20s squad named

Ireland Women’s U20s Squad:

Forwards (14):

Amy O’Mahony (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

Caoimhe Guinan (Tullamore RFC/Leinster)

Hannah Wilson (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

India Daley (Cooke RFC/Ulster)

Ivana Kiripati (Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)

Jane Neill (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

Karly Tierney (Tuam/Oughterard RFC/Connacht)

Maebh Clenaghan (Queen’s University/Ulster)

Megan Collis (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)

Niamh O’Dowd (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

Ruth Campbell (MU Barnhall RFC/Leinster)

Sarah Delaney (Cill Dara RFC/Leinster)

Sarah Shrestha (Loughborough University/Ulster)

Sophie Barrett (Enniskillen RFC/Ulster)

Backs (12):

Abby Moyles (Blackrock RFC/Leinster)

Cara Martin (Navan RFC/Leinster)

Clara Barrett (Ballina RFC/Connacht)

Ellen Boylan (Blackrock RFC/Leinster)

Emma Tilly (MU Barnhall/Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

Eva Sterritt (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

Kate Flannery (UL Bohemians/Munster)

Katie Whelan (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

Kayla Waldron (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)

Laoise McGonagle (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)

Leah Tarpey (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)

Willow Bell (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby).

Ireland Women’s Sevens:

Claire Boles (Railway Union RFC)

Alanna Fitzpatrick (Portarlington RFC)*

Clare Gorman (Old Belvedere RFC)

Katie Heffernan (Railway Union RFC)

Eve Higgins (Railway Union RFC)

Erin King (Old Belvedere RFC)

Lucinda Kinghan (Railway Union RFC)

Vicky Elmes Kinlan (Wicklow RFC)

Amy Larn (Athy RFC)*

Kate Farrell McCabe (Suttonians RFC)

Aoibheann Reilly (Blackrock College RFC)

Ava Ryder (Railway Union RFC)*

Emma Tilly (MU Barnhall)*

Incredible for Alanna Fitzpatrick from Portarlington RFC. Probably the first international level player in any code to be from that club.

Irish captain Nicola Fryday just announced her international rugby retirement.

At 28, and following on from the previous captain Ciara Griffin retiring at 27, this is indicating a huge retention problem of our best players at the highest levels

• I see talk that Vikki Wall (Meath Footballer) is potentially switching to 7s next year/later this year in preparation for the Olympics next Summer.

If I was a member of the 7s squad that has sacrificed so much over the last couple of years to gain Olympic qualification, I'd be fairly pissed that someone with no background in the sport is being parachuted in and will take a spot of someone much more deserving.

if shes good enough to be on the team, then shes good enough. Personally i dont have an issue with it.

to be honest if someone can take up the sport a year out from an olympic event and become good enough to complete at the olympics then the competition for places musn't be at the highest level. She certainly will not walk into the squad anyway. Shes a fabulous athlete but sevens is highly skilled and experience counts for a hell of a lot.

id have much more sympathy for the like of those tonga and samoan players who lose out on a RWC place due to those "transferring" from bigger nations.

• I'd agree to a certain degree. You always hear that 7's players are athletes first and rugby players second.

I just think it would be hard justify to a player thats busted their arse, sacrificed careers etc. chasing olympic qualification over the past number of years to be told a couple of months out that "sorry, we're parachuting someone in from another sport and they're going to take your place"

• Advertisement

I just think it would be hard justify to a player thats busted their arse, sacrificed careers etc. chasing olympic qualification over the past number of years to be told a couple of months out that "sorry, we're parachuting someone in from another sport and they're going to take your place"

thats not happening though

Wall has to become a better sevens rugby player than her competition in order to get an olympic spot. Shes not being parachuted into the olympic squad ahead of anyone.

Advertisement